Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman Mag 25 lead furnace

Lyman Mag 25 lead furnace

i have a lee bottom pour has always leaked. I use a PID temp as a read out. Its pretty close at about
    700 to 730*..
    I have been looking at the Lyman Mag 25. Price is pretty High any where from $289 to $350..
    Do any of you own one and is it really worth that much?
    Thanks Dave

Boolit Master

don't get a Mag 25 if you want one with PID New RCBS is better. Own both.

Hi danny. What makes the rcbs a better?
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Easier to use the mold and it has a fix for the drip. The Mag 25 started dripping just like the Lee 20 I have 3 of those. Also the Mag25 started leaking around the weld Lyman told me it was out of warranty but they would sell me a new on for 175.00. On all the new pots there are no parts or repair just replacement if under warranty.

RCBS Pro Melt-2 I checked around and can not find one. They are sold out at Midway and Brownells with no back order
    Il keep looking. The rcbs is smaller and will be ok. I really hate the drips and pours on the lee.

I've got the Mag25 and like it just fine. I've found if it drips, it's because the handle isn't closed all the way. At least that's the issue with mine. I've had it for around 2 years now and (knock on wood) it's still going great. I had the LEE 4-20 and got real tired of the drips so got the Lyman. I'd have bought the RCBS, as all I've heard (and read) is very good things but it was out of my comfort zone price wise. I'd buy another Mag-25 if this one lasts 3 more years.

Post a WTB in the S&S section. You may get lucky and get one at a good price. Definitely go green tho.

thanks for the feed back. Most all is out of stock on the rcbs with the PID controller.
    Dave

Boolit Master
    DCB, don’t discount a ProMelt one with external PID also. Saw your post for a PM2 and you might cast a wider net if looking for either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I've got the Mag25 and like it just fine. I've found if it drips, it's because the handle isn't closed all the way. At least that's the issue with mine. I've had it for around 2 years now and (knock on wood) it's still going great. I had the LEE 4-20 and got real tired of the drips so got the Lyman. I'd have bought the RCBS, as all I've heard (and read) is very good things but it was out of my comfort zone price wise. I'd buy another Mag-25 if this one lasts 3 more years.
    Same here, I bought one of the first ones available and have no issues at all.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Thanks for the info. At this point the rcbs furnace is hard to find. I wonder if they are going to advertise a better version?
    I can find plenty of the Lyman furnaces.
    With the occasional leak and the weld leak around the spout has set me back. I am not in a big hurry I can still use the leaky old Lee. I think ill call rcbs customer service and see if they are going to have a new model this year.
    Dave

Boolit Master

Posted this before never thought it would break there. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E78B0506-C35F-4735-BA21-E4DD9CBFDBB6.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	256946

That's not good!
    You may be able to tig weld or braze it to stop the leak.
    Just a thought.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    That's not good!
    You may be able to tig weld or braze it to stop the leak.
    Just a thought.

I'm to lazy for all that just boxed it up and ordered the RCBS one. I have been casting bullets for over 30 years and have owned all the Pots from Lyman, Lee and RCBS. Of the new ones the RCBS is about the same as there other Pro Melt just has a PID unit. If you get a Lyman your may want to get the mold guide from NOE. My only hobby is reloading started shotshell's in November almost to 5000 rounds of 12 gauge.

Im going to hold out for the RCBS I think. emailed RCBS and got a quick reply.
    They just received a shipment and are filling back order. great service as well.
    FW: RCBS Contact Us – Technical Services/Quality
    Yahoo
    /
    Inbox

rcbs tech <rcbs.tech@vistaoutdoor.com>
    To:
    dcbaisden@yahoo.com

Feb 17 at 2:21 PM

We just received our shipment from the Vendor. We will have a QA check process to complete, but you should be able to order very soon. We will be filling backorders immediately.

Dora Paul | Customer Service Lead
    RCBS| Weaver | Champion
    605 Oro Dam Blvd, East, Oroville, CA 95965
    Office: (530) 538 2623
    Toll Free (800) 533 5000

Boolit Master

Way better service than Lyman. The Lyman guy just about ask me why i would buy there product. But I do like Lyman M dies and their ammo checkers.

imho PID’s are over rated. 15 years ago I set my ProMelt at 720 with my casting thermometer and yesterday it still measured 720. You should be fine with one that doesn’t have the PID. Fluxuation in temp when adding ingots is gonna happen. But the RCBS recovers well/quickly. Good quality casting can happen without PID. just sayin’

Boolit Master
    Be wary of the RCBS PM2, some of the first batch had PID issues, mine was one - a programming issue.
    They stopped selling them (even off the web site) getting the issues resolved.
    I will say, cust serv helped me out - gave me a programming fix. It works now, just a pain to reset the PID every time.
    Little issues like having to run the pot for a couple hours to cool down enough to not fry the PID.
    Not bashing RCBS, they realized there was a problem, stopped shipping (eventually), gave a interim fix to those who contacted them.
    I hope RCBS has it figured out, It's a great pot; no leaks, holds temp pretty well.
    I think they just wanted to beat Lyman to the punch, and we ended up being the beta testers.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nccaster77 View Post
    imho PID’s are over rated. 15 years ago I set my ProMelt at 720 with my casting thermometer and yesterday it still measured 720. You should be fine with one that doesn’t have the PID. Fluxuation in temp when adding ingots is gonna happen. But the RCBS recovers well/quickly. Good quality casting can happen without PID. just sayin’
    casted for 30 years without a PID and about 20 without a thermometer but I like new toys what can I say.