Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of a kind Savage 99

Vendor Sponsor

One of a kind Savage 99

I have been playing with this idea for about 7 years and finally got a "round tuit" and took the plunge. I made a switch barrel for my circa 1915 model 1899 takedown chambered in 264 LBC, better known as 6.5 grendel. It was at the limits of my talents, but I am proud to say that it came out great. I had to learn to turn square threads, grind my own single point cutter, buy a t-slot cutter for the extractor notch and top notch for the bolt. Then the barrel contour had to be turned to match the takedown forestock. It was quite the learnig experience with lots of pucker factor and gnashing of teeth.

I have just stared cast bullet work and she shows promise even with the 1 in 8" twist. 14 gr of sr4759 under a noe 125 gr bullet gave 1.670" 3 shot group and 1965 fps. I was surprised at the high velocity and will be going out soon with 12 - 13.5 gr. Off to a good start.

Vendor Sponsor
    I posted a short video on the Cast Boolits Forum facebook group page. I don't have hosting to do it here.

Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a great thing to have.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I'm glad you made a satisfactory conversion - CONGRATS ! !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Hope you bring it to NCBS in May. I would like to put a round through it having not ever shot a 6.5 Grendel. Too bad you will be so proud of it that you can't take it out for antelope.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Hope you bring it to NCBS in May. I would like to put a round through it having not ever shot a 6.5 Grendel. Too bad you will be so proud of it that you can't take it out for antelope.
    Fixed it for ya.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    I posted a short video on the Cast Boolits Forum facebook group page. I don't have hosting to do it here.
    Very cool merge of old and new!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Was any bolt face work required for the smaller diameter case head? Or did the spool magazine work as was? What is the other barrel chambered for? Pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 02-17-2020 at 09:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Be careful with you loading, 'factory' 6.5 Grendel runs at much higher pressure than the cartridges the 1899 Savage made in 1915 was designed for and bolt thrust is greater based upon head diameters of the 303 Savage and 30-30. I hope your conversion is on a 250 Savage, 1915 was the first year for that, but still be careful.

Boolit Grand Master

If I could I would give a pat on the back and a well done in person.
    I do enjoy individuals that know what they want and take the steps to accomplish it.
    Admiral Rickover stated "Our doubts are traitors and make us loose the good we oft might win by failing to attempt".
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to know more about this conversion.

I have a Savage 1899 in 303 Savage built in 1906. It is the take down model. The barrel isn't fully threaded, but has a quick unthread method, kinda like how those lee breechlock bushings work.

I have always wanted to find a smith or machinist that could make me a 38-55 barrel for it.

Then a 3rd barrel I would get would be 25-35 WCF. This would be a dream setup for me.

Vendor Sponsor
    It has been fun so far. It will be in Winnemucca this May for sure.

Vendor Sponsor
    If I draw a doe antelope tag this year the grendel will go hunting. So far 120 gr rem core lokt bullets @ 2500ish fps are showing fine hunting accuracy potential, as does 100 gr ballistic tips @ 2600+ fps. I have put 120 rounds down the barrel so far and it shows potential for 1.5 - 2 moa. Not bad for a takedown 99.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Be careful with you loading, 'factory' 6.5 Grendel runs at much higher pressure than the cartridges the 1899 Savage made in 1915 was designed for and bolt thrust is greater based upon head diameters of the 303 Savage and 30-30. I hope your conversion is on a 250 Savage, 1915 was the first year for that, but still be careful.
    It was originally a 250-3000. I have not noticed any pressure issues. Extraction stickyness is usually the first sign with a 99, and none of that so far. The .441 head diameter means more metal around the chamber than with the .473 head dia of the 250.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    I would like to know more about this conversion.

I have a Savage 1899 in 303 Savage built in 1906. It is the take down model. The barrel isn't fully threaded, but has a quick unthread method, kinda like how those lee breechlock bushings work.

I have always wanted to find a smith or machinist that could make me a 38-55 barrel for it.

Then a 3rd barrel I would get would be 25-35 WCF. This would be a dream setup for me.
    IF you can find a smith that will do it for you be prepared to dig deep. I cannot imagine what amount of money I would charge to do this for someone else. And no, I would not do this for someone else. I did not make interrupted threads. The barrel threads all the way on and off.
    I am sure the 25-35 would doable. You would have to modify the spool magazine for a 38-55 chambering.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Was any bolt face work required for the smaller diameter case head? Or did the spool magazine work as was? What is the other barrel chambered for? Pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    The bolt face is flat on a 99 with no recess, and the head dia is only .032" smaller so the extractor works fine. It gets sticky sometimes feeding into battery because the short case will come up before the firing pin gets pulled back. This mostly happens when I am loading single shot on the bench. From the magazine, not so much.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    IF you can find a smith that will do it for you be prepared to dig deep. I cannot imagine what amount of money I would charge to do this for someone else. And no, I would not do this for someone else. I did not make interrupted threads. The barrel threads all the way on and off.
    I am sure the 25-35 would doable. You would have to modify the spool magazine for a 38-55 chambering.
    yeah, IF I can find a smith is why I have never really pursued this. Also, because I don't really need those other chamberings

Someday I will learn how to do this myself. I have access to a lathe. Just need to learn.

Now you can see for yourself if the 6.5 Grendel is the equal of the .250 Savage. Some AR folks say it is, I sincerely doubt it.

Boolit Master
    Very cool! Speaking as someone who has fitted barrels to these Savage takedowns I don't blame you for not wanting to take more on.

Which rotor did you use? Modified?

Which cartridge guide did you use, and did it pose any problems?

Boolit Master

NEAT and well done
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast