Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One of a kind Savage 99

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    yeah, IF I can find a smith is why I have never really pursued this. Also, because I don't really need those other chamberings

Someday I will learn how to do this myself. I have access to a lathe. Just need to learn.
    Any 25-35 or 38-55 from that era for a 99 would most likely screw right up. Keep looking, you never know. I found a 22 high power barrel.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Very cool! Speaking as someone who has fitted barrels to these Savage takedowns I don't blame you for not wanting to take more on.

Which rotor did you use? Modified?

Which cartridge guide did you use, and did it pose any problems?
    I am using all components as original from factory except the barrel of course. All shooting so far has been from the bench and one at a time. I might not trust the feeding in a dangerous game situation like cape buffalo or Kodiak bears, but then again 6.5 grendel might be a tad bit ambitious for that anyway. The biggest bugaboo that I have seen is the head wanting to come up when the firing pin is sticking out. A lever jiggle and it slides right in.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Now you can see for yourself if the 6.5 Grendel is the equal of the .250 Savage. Some AR folks say it is, I sincerely doubt it.
    Oh, sure it is. Gun writers never lie. 2700 fps with 100 gr bullets in a grendel is WAY better than 2800 fps in that ancient lever action Savage. And 6.5 creedmoor is 10 ten times better than a 6.5x55 swede. Never talk ballistics to AR guys, they think aluminum receivers make up for 8 inches of barrel length and flash hiders are a magical accuracy device.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12