Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: .32 long oddness

.32 long oddness

Yesterday I took my model 31 flat latch to the range with some dewc loads. The load was 2.0 of promo. I also took my SP101 .327. The goal was to see if the wadcutters would shoot well in both guns. They did.

Here is where it gets weird. The little flat latch ate them like popcorn. Cases slid out easily. In the SP 101 some primers pierced and ejection was sticky. What gives? How can a .32 S&W load show pressure in a .327?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Chambers in Ruger must be enough oversize that your load isn't sealing case. This can also cause primer backout and possible punctures.

See if the cases fired in the Ruger will slide easily into the Smith's cylinder. Just a thought to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    See if the cases fired in the Ruger will slide easily into the Smith's cylinder. Just a thought to try.
    My thoughts exactly. I'll bet the Ruger chambers are just a tad larger in diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Chambers in Ruger must be enough oversize that your load isn't sealing case. This can also cause primer backout and possible punctures.
    I am thinking if this is the problem, there should be signs of insufficient obturation; e.g., blackened brass. No one would ever mistake me for an expert reloader--am I right about this?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Yesterday I took my model 31 flat latch to the range with some dewc loads. The load was 2.0 of promo. I also took my SP101 .327. The goal was to see if the wadcutters would shoot well in both guns. They did.

Here is where it gets weird. The little flat latch ate them like popcorn. Cases slid out easily. In the SP 101 some primers pierced and ejection was sticky. What gives? How can a .32 S&W load show pressure in a .327?
    I am curious to . I get pierced primers on my 327 sp101 at times even with light loads.

Fired cases fit in the flat latch fine but do seem to has a bit of a bulge above the case head.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

327 Federal was designed to use Small Rifle primers in it's first emergence. The trigger springs may be set for a harder primer.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Read on some other forums that this is common with Single 7 .327's. They said firing pin was too long.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Read on some other forums that this is common with Single 7 .327's. They said firing pin was too long.

My single seven does it to . Any one know how far the firing pin should protrude ?

Boolit Master
    I have nearly a dozen different 327FM guns and have need fewer seen a pierced primer. Yes, small rifle primer is the correct primer with full house loads, but I also use SP magnum printers as well.

Boolit Master
    My SP-101 has an issue with pierced primers. For quite a while, I was out of small magnum pistol primers.

Working up loads, it starts piercing regular small pistol primers (several brands) at the "medium warm" level. If I keep going up in power, it gets to the point where the primers are pretty flat, but few if any are pierced.

I tried small rifle primers, but the hammer was not hitting hard enough for reliable ignition.

I finally scored a big batch of small magnum pistol primers and I have a medium stout load that shoots ok with no pierced primers. However, I am not entirely happy in that I know there is something going on with the gun.

Boolit Master
    I have not loaded top book loads with any of the powders I use and all have been loaded with standard or magnum pistol primers .

Boolit Master
    I also have had problems with pierced primers and split Starline cases . Switching to SR primers helps but it would be nice to actually fire a .327 mag load instead of .32 H&R level loads.
    Loren

Boolit Buddy
    An old Smith is held to closer tolerances than a new Rugar. That's not surprising.

Boolit Grand Master
    As you guys are posting results here, it is very useful to know what gun with which components you are describing in your post (like the OP did ) This discussion is going to get convoluted in a hurry and I see a distinct possibility (or probability) of confusion to the reader.

My contribution; with early release Federal cases and Fed primers (which are notoriously soft) my warm to hot loads of AA#7 behind the NOE 125 grain 314008 gave very flat primers but no other pressure signs in my 8 Shot Blackhawk and my custom K-frame S&W. None pierced and no other indication of pressure - ejected easily.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

That is bizarre. I'd look for rough chambers. Better yet. Send it to Ruger, and say it's ejecting hard with 32 s&w. They will have it fixed in no time.

I'll call Ruger. I don't want to send it on my dime. I didn't break it.