Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger New Model BH 41 Magnum

Ruger New Model BH 41 Magnum

Ruger New Model BH 41 Magnum

6 1/2" bbl. as NIB. impulse buy at the gun show today - price was right

I know all the 'mystique' of the 41. Practical experience?

Boolit Master
    It has far less recoil than I expected.

Moderator Emeritus

I just picked up the 4.625" barrel to go with my new to me Marlin 41 lever. Hopefully play with her real soon.

Boolit Master
    No experience with a 41 Magnum other than a short affair with a Redhawk before I knew my butt from a hole in the ground. It cost too much to shoot then and I didn't have the money to buy reloading gear (this was in the mid 80's). Now I'm kinda wanting one again and may get one eventually. It will be a RBH 5.5" SS Bisley or a Freedom Arms 83 if it happens.

Sounds like yours just happened to jump out in front of you and say "take me home". I like those kind of situations. It doesn't matter if you wanted it at the time, you got it anyway.

I do know that those that have them tend to keep them. Plenty of good molds out there and a caster and reloader (aren't all casters reloaders?) doesn't worry about what factory ammo costs.

My 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Rem Mag is the most accurate single action I own, and I have many.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I like my Ruger BH .41 just fine. I'd buy it again. Very good shooter.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I'm sure I've owned at least 15 of them in the last 50 years, never had one that didn't shoot great with 8 grs of Unique with any bullet, jacketed or cast but almost always cast for me. I've shot a number of deer with that load but an even better one has been 17 grs of 2400. Not a maximum load but very accurate. Easy on the back end & a real champ out the front end. I've taken lots of deer & a couple of elk with that load using a 230 gr Keith cast. I never recover a bullet. If you have to go top end velocity switch to H110 & magnum primers.

Dick

I have a 4-5/8 Blackhawk with a Henry big boy to go with it. I got mine when a friend walked into my office and asked me if I was interested in his dads who had recently passed. He knew I had wanted one for many years, so sold it go me since he had no interest in that caliber.

I'd rather shoot it then any of my other single action handguns. Check out this thread for a discussion on 41s.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I recently disposed of my .41 dies and components, and intend selling the revolver. My revolvers in other calibers cover the .41 performance envelope, so for me it was a redundant caliber. If I were marooned on a desert island with nothing but a .41 and a complete reloading setup I would feel well-equipped.

I'd rather shoot it then any of my other single action handguns.

Ditto.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Grand Master

It serves a purpose, it is the most powerful cartridge you can buy in the blackhawk with aluminum grip frame. It's a great gun. It's pointless in a redhawk, but I prefer 41 magnum in an N frame.

It's a decent step up from 357 magnum, and a small step below 44 magnum. Anything that works in the other two works in the 41.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger Bisley in 41. I like shooting it but it has never had the accuracy of other 41s I own. It has a significant amount of choke at the barrel threads. I plan to try some hand and or fire lapping to see if I can improve it. I love the 41 but it's only really versatile if you reload. I have a lot of 41 moulds, only out numbered by 30 caliber..

Boolit Master
    After waiting way to long to own a .41 I have too many now. If I had shot a 41 mag side by side with a 44 years ago I would not have gone down the 44 road.

I was chasing 375 super mag a few years ago, yes, 375. I was told to go the route of 41 mag. I have acquired a donor rig for the 375, but not pressed forward with it. Uh, the rifle looney in me has popped up and bitten me hard as of late.

I have used Dick’s recipe ^^ with good success.

I got one just like yours a year ago after going a couple of years without a .41 magnum. It's far and away my favorite magnum revolver cartridge. I have tried to keep one around since I bought my first 3 screw 4-5/8" RBH in 1975 or so. Actually it's my only magnum revolver handgun- others need not apply. Unique and W296 for mild to wild for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    For me it has accidently turned out just right. I got laid off in the 70's so I sold off my 6guns including a 3 screw .44 Super Blackhawk. The dragoon the dealer called it. My 1970's .41 mag would not sell so I kept it. Since then I have had a .454, .45 Colt, as well as .357. I found that for me I could shoot from a 170 to a 290+ gr bullets just fine. Killed one 270# boar and a number of deer with 170 to the 300s and the cast always went through except when I started casting hp. Since then I have found a few other wise they go all the way. I currently have a Henry .41, and 4 5/8 Bhawk to go with it plus two .41 wildcats. For the future who knows? Likely some other .41

I have the SBH in 41 mag and I have been so lucky to pick up a Ruger Redhawk SS in 41mag and a S&W model 57 nickel 8 3/8 inch barrel. Both Rutgers are 7 1/2 inch barrels. They are all accurate as can be and better than I can shoot them.

Boolit Buddy
    At one time I had 3 Model 58's & 3 Model 57's & a 6 1/2 RBH . The Smiths are gone but the Ruger is still here .

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer the 41 Magnum to the 44 magnum . But I cast boolits and reload so ammo isn't a big concern .
    Missed a buy on a Blackhawk because I thought I wanted a 44 magnum and didn't know anything about the 41 . Once educated snagged a sweet S&W model 58 in 1972 and fell in love with it and hung on to it ever since .
    I think so much of it ... I made it my Avatar !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I have a 6.5,just like the OP. It was my first 41. As with all Ruger SAs, I like the fit and feel. I bought a used Model 57-1 a couple of years later. Side by Side I shoot the S&W a little better. I might be that I have not found the perfect load for the SA as most of my load development went into the Smith. With current prices being what they are: A good deal on the Ruger and a good deal on a Smith, the good deal on a Ruger will put you money ahead. I fall into the same category as many older shooters. I shoot my 41s much more than my 44s due to Arthritis in my hands. OH! and just so you know. When I was shooting my 44s. I found that my SBH shot much better than either of my two Smiths (29 with 6.5 and 629 with 6"). Good job Oscarflytyer>

My Bisley 41 mag is by far my favorite.

6 shots, 25 yds, 250gr WFNGC @ 1200fps. I can live with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast