Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hate to do this but: Casting 10ga Slugs

Hate to do this but: Casting 10ga Slugs

So I recently procured a NEF 10ga that I had cut down to NFA legal (18.625", aka "Thumper"). Obviously this has no choke and is full cylinder bore. I would LOVE to find a mold to cast some good hard round ball slugs with and produce some definitive kinetic energy.

I've done a little research but most of what I find are dead end threads. Has anyone made a mold for these scatterguns?

Boolit Grand Master

These guys (this guy?) will make whatever size you want:

https://www.ballmoulds.com/

Also, a former poster here turbo1889 posted drawings for a 10 ga. slug mould he had made by Brooks I believe. One of the members here has or had the same mould made and I can't recall if it was bikerbeans who had the mould or if he borrowed it but he posted results with it IIRC.

You should be able to search and find the post by turbo1889 to find the drawing and if that fails I downloaded a copy if you want to get a slug mould made.

I'm not seeing moulds available in 0.775" for bore size but these guys have 0.750":

http://www.castbulletengineering.com...age=3&Items=12

and I think a 0.735" RB should fit a 10 ga. shotcup and Lyman makes 0.735" RB moulds.

So there are some options out there and there are a few posters here that have cast and shot 10 ga. slugs. Not sure about balls.

For 12 ga. I have gotten good results with 0.735" RB naked on a hard card wad column and also with snug fitting round ball in shotcup. You should be able to do the same with 10 ga. I'd go 0.003" to 0.005" over bore diameter for a naked ball or use a donut wad with bore diameter or smaller ball. Even the 0.735" RB's in my 12 ga. have shown signs of rolling into the bore with a slightly skewed "belt" on some recovered balls so a bore diameter ball is likely to do some rolling unless sitting on a donut wad. My shooting is with smoothbore.

Good luck!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I never did get around to writing my findings on 10 gauge slugs yet. I ended up finding a 22" slug barrel for my Ithaca Mag10. In the case of Ithaca/Remington, they used a .780" bore. Many 10 gauges use a .770" bore. You will have to find out what yours is.

As longbow said, buy from here https://www.ballmoulds.com/ for a single cavity. For wads you will want the X10X gas seal, a bunch of 10 gauge nitro cards, and PSB buffer, which can all be bought from Precision Reloading. JT ball molds makes your mold to a certain cavity size. I'm using a .786" mold, and it drops around a .783" ball. I use 1 5/8 oz data, but replace the wad with a gas seal, then a stack of nitro cards, and a scoop of PSB buffer. Then the ball, which I lube with Alox. I fold crimp. I find great accuracy with Bluedot powder, and plenty of velocity. I can be more specific later, but this will get you started.

If you happen to have a .775" bore, I have a mold I'll sell you that drops a .780" ball.

Took some [quality] dial calipers to it, appears to be .775"

I have a full bore 10ga mold by Brooks Mold and Knife. Depending on alloy it drops a .775" to .780" hollow base slug in the 730 to 750 grain range. Send me a PM if you want some of these slugs to play with.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted98gsx View Post
    Took some [quality] dial calipers to it, appears to be .775"
    Then my mold will be perfect for you. It drops about a .780" ball with clip on wheel weight alloy. Let me know if you want it.

Just wondering, but wouldn't .0025" interference on both sides be too much?

What would you ask for it?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted98gsx View Post
    Just wondering, but wouldn't .0025" interference on both sides be too much?

What would you ask for it?
    No. I've gone as far a .742" in a .731" groove 12 gauge. I don't recommend that as ideal though. Anywhere from .003" to .008" over bore (or groove if rifled) seems to work fine. It's the same reason you use .457" balls in a 45 caliber cap and ball with .450" groove barrel. There isn't a lot of bearing surface, so you squeeze it to fit.

I'll sell you mine for $35 shipped. PM me, I prefer to use paypal. I just measured some I had cast of COWW. They are slightly out of round, which is not a big deal. About .776" on the parting line, .780" on the side (it could be my casting too). They shot fair in my .780" bore, so they should shoot great in yours.

Boolit Grand Master

While I couldn't find the exact wad stack I was using, I was likely using the following

Remington 3 1/2" hull
    Remington 209 primer
    45 grains Bluedot
    X10X + (5) 1/8" 10 gauge nitro cards
    Scoop of PSB buffer
    .780" ball
    1/8" 12 gauge cork wad (optional, but makes crimp nicer)

fold crimp

You may adjust the nitro cards and PSB buffer to fit. You may also back off the powder.

Boolit Master
    The Rooskie mold makers make a version of the Lyman 525 sabot slug scaled up for the 10 gauge and they work pretty well in my 10’s . Down side , they get a premium for their stuff and it usually takes awhile to recieve the product . They have them on Fleabay .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    The Rooskie mold makers make a version of the Lyman 525 sabot slug scaled up for the 10 gauge and they work pretty well in my 10’s . Down side , they get a premium for their stuff and it usually takes awhile to recieve the product . They have them on Fleabay .
    Link?

Boolit Grand Master

These guys have a 10 ga. Lyman copy:

https://as-molds.com/10-gauge/

These guys have 10 ga. slugs but no moulds and nor do my other saved sites. 12 ga. tends to be the largest:

http://www.siarm.com/index.php?cPath=2_20_164_63

Wait! Straight from Russia:

http://bulletmold.ru/%D0%B0%D1%81%D1.../prices-leyki/

They also show a 10 ga. version of the Lyman sabot slug... might be the same mould as above.

Longbow

Yea, the russian one even uses the same pictures.