RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need steel pistol target recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Nice! How does it sound?
    Hey Well when you rattle it around it has a very nice ring to it but haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet because of work and even thou today is a holiday here the range is closed for a private event so I can’t go up as well as I don’t have a hanger yet

I was in a pistol match at a indoor range. Shot a plate with a very lightly loaded .45 acp. The bullet came back and lifted my glasses not damaging the glasses.or hitting my face. Scared me half to death. The next shooter was shooting he-man loads and a bullet came back and slammed into his sternum. Really hurt him. I asked the employee wandering around to turn the steel or tip it so we don't get hurt. He told me he wouldnt. Said we signed a waiver so it's on us if we got hurt. I complained up the chain of command and got nothing so never went back. I didn't want to be there when someone got hurt knowing I'd never live down not warning the hurt person how dangerous the set up was.
    Last edited by nelsonted1; 02-17-2020 at 12:31 PM.

I tried plywood and particleboard targets at about four inch square glued to a base as shoot off targets. They didn't work well since they shredded pretty fast. We were replacing siding on apartment buildings and brought home some old siding to try. Shazzam! We had our answer. We could shoot them over and over. When they were damaged pretty badly we'd just turn them at an angle and keeep right on going. I saved a bunch of the siding and am still shooting the targets. And didn't have to worry about steel richocheting.

I have some discarded skillets to shoot at rifle distances. I know that they will only last one shooting session but what the heck they were going inn the recycle anyway. Will hang them on a decorative flag pole that is only 3 feet tall. Will set them at the berm to stop any ricocheted boolits. Our range is going through a remodel so I will have to wait until it's finished. Will set it up at 300 yards and that should be fun since I have never shot that far. Can hardly wait for that to happen.

Boolit Master
    Here is a picture of my shooting range.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target range 1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	256954

The low hanging targets are 1/2" steel, hanging from rebar. All of the targets are basically junk, salvaged out of my iron pile.

Boolit Master

My friend has a 6ft by 8 inch piece of AR400 that he is giving me for free today, That should be plenty for my needs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    My friend has a 6ft by 8 inch piece of AR400 that he is giving me for free today, That should be plenty for my needs.
    Free is for me (or you)
    Have fun cutting/drilling it
    Do you have a torch ?
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

I am going to take it to my friends shop about a mile from me, They have a plasma and CNC so I am pretty set to get it cut and holes for mounting. Hey, my other friend says he has access to all the AR 400 I want, It is used as wear board on coal mining machines underground, I will have enough target material for my grand kids.

Boolit Master
    Just a comment on ringing steel targets.

Absolutely no doubt they're fun. I find it very gratifying to get the instant feedback on the hit. But I did notice personally that I started relying more on the sound of the hit to know I scored rather than seeing the properly aligned front sight lift off the target. That's cost me at some matches.

But, yeah, lots of fun.

Boolit Master

I agree Kevin, I am going to paint bulls eye's on all targets and focus on that. Front sight is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC87 View Post
    I am going to make some swinging steel targets to shoot 380 acp- 44 mag and was wandering what steel and thickness should be used. I appreciate any and all recommendations!
    Shootsteel.com has a lot of info on targets and material thickness.

Boolit Master

I use these guys: ShootingTargets7.com, they have a great selection and regularly have sales. I have settled on bullseye targets in 1/2" so it will take whatever I decide to hit it with, within recommended distance of course.

Name:	reactive bull gong.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	257130

I also got these to make portable stands, they work great if you need to take your targets down each time.

Name:	stand legs.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	257131
    You use them with 1" gas pipes, not included: https://ar500-targets.com/product/ho...d-accessories/.

But the T-post hangers at shootingTargets.com are great too, that way you can make shooting lanes in any configuration you want. You can take down the targets easily enough, but the T-posts I usually leave in place. These pics are from the site, but they show the rubber straps you were asking about. (I used chain).
    https://shootingtargets7.com/collect...ost-hooks-pair

Name:	T-Post Hanger set.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	257132

Name:	T-Post Hanger.jpg 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	257133
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Mold
    Rather than conveyor belting, I use old mudflaps that have been torn off transport trucks. As a trucker I find them in the back row of truck stops, or next to bomb craters in the parking lots/customer yards. About 18" wide X 24" tall. I just double it over and bolt it to the backside of my steel target so the boolits are deflected downwards.
    They hold up far better to rifle impact than chain. Chain broke too easily and way too often. I welded it back together, but the hassle has been eliminated by using the mudflap trick.

Boolit Grand Master

You guys got me thinking. With a belt, either conveyor, or mudflap, or whatever, I could make a loop that would slide onto my conduit. I tried with chain, and it slid back and forth all over. I wonder if this would be better with something flexible and rubber.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the idea of using a loop through a piece of gas pipe. I'm think the 6" fire hose I got would work well, when flattened out it is about 8" across.

Name:	20200220_192842.jpg 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	257238 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200220_192850.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	257242 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200220_192823.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	257243

The right picture is my bullet catcher it's 6 layers thick and stops 380, 9, 40 and 45 acp boolits.

Boolit Master

Wicked bullet catcher, You have gave me a great idea!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    I bought these and have been really happy with them.

For just pistols you could probably get away with 3/8 or even 1/4 inch but the thicker plates will standand up to 45gr 223 and surplus Mosin Nagant loads from 40 yards in my experience.

I welded up a frame out of junk rebar and short lengths of scrap chains to hang the plates from. I used 3/8" carriage bolts with 1/2" washers to attach the plates to the chains. One thing I would change is make the chains a few links shorter because the smaller plates will wrap around the top bar.

Attachment 256877
    If you put the chains thru a piece of radiator/heater hose they won't wrap around the top bar.I usually use a piece shorter than the chain and wire or bolt it to the top of the chain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12