RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Passed the Technician Class test.

Boolit Master

Congrats.

Moderator Emeritus

And people think shooting is an expensive hobby...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rSc05hh.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	257061

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats. You'll find a band and a mode that trips your trigger. There's no end to what you can do going forward. I got into it a couple years ago when the wife got the HAM bug. I had it easy, I've been working in electronics for 40 years. The wife had to learn everything from scratch. KX4NJ

Boolit Master

Well done. Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Congratulations from former Novice class, WN6GFO. I haven't keyed up since I was a teenager.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    What’s y’all’s recommendation on handheld, mobile and base stations along with what antennas to go with them. I know this is a rabbit hole. Don’t have a lot of money to spend. Lol. What other equipment you recommend with the radios. We have Fusion digital repeater local.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the madness! Don't get hung up on FM ad repeaters only, there is a lot more to ham radio! With your license you can work 10 meters voice when it is open, there are VHF/UHF satellites, VHF+ weak signal which I love due to the challenge... I don't chase DX much on HF but will work it now and then... 2meters is NOT line of site like many think! My best troposheric contact is 1400 miles! Via moonbounce I would have to measure... I have worked all over EU, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa... all on 2 meters!
    Before I retired I had a lot of requests for used 1 meter diameter sat dishes with LNB. I assume they used these as receiving networks?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    What’s y’all’s recommendation on handheld, mobile and base stations along with what antennas to go with them. I know this is a rabbit hole. Don’t have a lot of money to spend. Lol. What other equipment you recommend with the radios. We have Fusion digital repeater local.
    Not cheap but not high end, an Yaesu FT-991(a) used can go for $700-900 and covers 160m thru 70cm. And does Fusion for the repeaters. Plus it will do SSB/CW on VHF/UHF opening up that possibility. Quite a few weak signal guys down in your area that I have made contacts with over the years so you can start simple with horizontal loops and add yagis as money allows. HF antennas are a can of worms and will depend on your location! I lack trees here so dipoles are a no go for example so I went with verticals... dipoles are cheap and you can roll your own easily. Get crimp connectors form DX Engineering and their stripper tool for the coax and you can put connectors on professionally! I went crimp connectors 6 years ago and won't go back to soldering the braid! Yes it is an investment n the crimper and stripper! DXE's 400max coax is decent stuff too and won't break the bank. Low enough loss for FM use if you keep the runs short(under 50')... for mobile it depends what you want to do, no Fusions here so I went FT-7900 from Yaesu. For the 2m/70cm antenna this can't be beat for price https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amateur-...1481/300026085 just make sure to waterproof the joints, I used adhesive lined heat shrink but rubberized self fusing tape with a layer of electrical tape on top for UV works too. I have that exact antenna and it has survived 12 MN winters...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Before I retired I had a lot of requests for used 1 meter diameter sat dishes with LNB. I assume they used these as receiving networks?
    The guys doing Ham MESH stuff use them for backbone links sometimes... have to make a new bracket to tilt them on the horizon instead of up at a satellite. The LNB's didn't get used but they get scavenged for parts...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Instead of a dipole, you could make a "tower" out of 2x4's (I used 3 20' 2x4s, propped the bottom of the lower 2 apart a few feet) and made an inverted V antenna for the Search and Rescue group I was in's 4MHz-range SSB antenna; Worked pretty well, all in all. Cheaper than making 2-3 wood towers for a dipole.

Welcome to the club

Greg Kd9lok

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Instead of a dipole, you could make a "tower" out of 2x4's (I used 3 20' 2x4s, propped the bottom of the lower 2 apart a few feet) and made an inverted V antenna for the Search and Rescue group I was in's 4MHz-range SSB antenna; Worked pretty well, all in all. Cheaper than making 2-3 wood towers for a dipole.
    NVIS antenna, good for local comms, not so good for DX... at 4mhz to be effective a dipole should be at least 60'(give or take, I didn't do the math) high! You need to decide what you want the antenna to do, local rag chews/local nets, or DX work or even cross country. Lower in freq you go the higher(1/2 wavelength) the antenna needs to be for a dipole to have a good pattern. So more info really needed...

Boolit Master

Congratulations! I plan to take the Technician test once life settles down a bit from getting married and moving. My wife has her Tech license already, so I rewarded her with a surplus military VHF rig for my off road camping truck... er, our truck.
    Bulldogger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    And people think shooting is an expensive hobby...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rSc05hh.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	257061
    Amen! Congratulations
    KE8EKH
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

New Ham

Congrats!, your going to learn alot, A cheap HT. (BAOFENG ) right around 30.00. I would also pay the 50.00 and join the AARL, great magzine for loging you contacts There is so much fun to be had . Frank KD8OHS

Congratulations

I worked the space station once, driving to the rifle range to shoot M1 Garands.
    That was a good day.

Keep studying, and upgrade.
    HF is lot more more fun than VHF/UHF

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daveco View Post
    Congratulations neighbor, and hope you have a great time with your new hobby!

Dave, KV4VE
    Dave - that's a GREAT call sign for cw.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    Dave - that's a GREAT call sign for cw.
    I lucked out! I'm not active right now, but my favorite mode is QRP CW.

Congratulations. I hope to take that test sometime in the near future, but my plans keep getting derailed.

Ed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast