RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything other than Crosman BB's ?

Boolit Master

Anything other than Crosman BB's ?

So I'm diving more into PC, played around, experimented a bunch, getting good results.

Coated a bullet I hadn't done much with before, MiHec 230g with massive HP.

Well, the HP is so big the BB's stick in the HP !

Pain to get them out; shaking, bang on side of shaker - still stuck.

Came up with grab in lube groove with diagonal cutters and pull out BB with needle nose. Slows things down considerably !!!!
    Tried coating without BB's - very clumpy, uneven, ugly !!!!

So, any other (bigger) plastic "something" to put in to generate static ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1701.jpg  
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy

I have used cheap plastic beads for little girls necklaces, they can come in bigger oval shapes. You can find them in kids craft sections of stores.

Boolit Master

I don't use beads/bbs at all. I just tumble for a minute or two in a #5? plastic container.

Boolit Master
    I'm another that doesn't use bb's. Just powder and bullets.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    oconeedan, I'll see what the big box store has.

Slide and silvercreek, I tried the no BB's - major clumpage, guess I'll give it another whack. Maybe I had too much powder in the container.

BTW, cooked a few with the BB's - bet those suckers REALLY open up !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    I deal with the same thing as you, just not as large of a diameter bullet. My MP 432 bullets will get about 1 in 20 that stick in the HP. I just flick it out with a finger nail. In a 45 I probably could not.

Someone mentioned poly beads in another thread and I ordered some without thinking. I got those poly beads (used for filling stuffed animals, beanbags, etc) stuck in almost every HP. I quickly got them out of my container as I probably will coat HP's with any color.

As was suggested above, look for a larger bead and let us know if it works.

I'm not a powder coater, but I've seen threads where folks talked about 1/4"
    or so plastic air-soft pellets being used with success.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    try with just the PC first, if that doesn't work look for plastic beads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'm not a powder coater, but I've seen threads where folks talked about 1/4"
    or so plastic air-soft pellets being used with success.
    That's what we are referring to when we say "BB's". It's easy to think we're talking about the metal .117" BB's, but it the plastic airsoft one's used in PC. They are just the right size to stick in the big hollowpoint's that a MP mold makes.

Boolit Master
    I don't have the problem because I spray and cook my hollow points on my "Bed of Nails".

I first punch down a sheet of parchment over the spikes, preheat the tray in the oven to 300 degrees. take out the tray and quickly spray PC. The powder melts and flows on contact so I can see when I have a good coverage. I return the tray to the oven for a full cure. Bullets are completely coated except for the cavities.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	256936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003_1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	256937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015_1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	256938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1830_1_1.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	256939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010_1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	256940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1831_1_1.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	256941

Boolit Master
    OK, so I put juuuuuust enough powder in the tub to get an even coat, and used more boolets (read that in another thread - too few boolets are hard to get a good coat)
    REALLY spun them around the tub, good coverage !

Thanks guys !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Bub
    So that's been my challenge too. I'm too cheap to buy a huge bottle of airsoft BBs when I maybe really need a handful, so I've been looking around the craft sections of Hobby Lobby and Walmart. I haven't found the right type of bead yet but when I do, I will post it up.

I like the idea of spraying but see the "I'm cheap" statement above. The sprayers for the PC aren't inexpensive. Now If I could figure out how to PC accessories for my Jeep in fancy colors and heat cure them without an oven big enough for a bumper or tie rod I'd be buying the electrostatic PC sprayer for sure. Then at least I'd have a dual purpose for the expense and not just putting purty colors on my boolits.

Boolit Master
    Actually, I constructed just that type of device for PC projects similar to what you named.

I built a prototype curing lamp using a 220V. shortwave infrared tube about 12" long. I sprayed a sheet steel panel to test it out and it heated the panel to 450 F degrees very quickly. I found by controlling the distance from the lamp to the object I could keep the temperature very close to 400 F and it could cured an area about 6" wide by about 16" long without moving. Moving and slightly overlapping the light would allow curing very large objects. I haven't had the time to build a finished version as I have had so many other projects taking priority.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoparddog View Post
    So that's been my challenge too. I'm too cheap to buy a huge bottle of airsoft BBs when I maybe really need a handful, so I've been looking around the craft sections of Hobby Lobby and Walmart. I haven't found the right type of bead yet but when I do, I will post it up.
    Hobby Lobby. Jewelry section. They have larger plastic beads in poly bags, I think $2 a bag. I use one bag in the small tubs I use for shaking (I do less than 50 bullets per batch).

Boolit Master
    So still getting good coverage using less powder, BB's seem to be more forgiving if too much powder is dumped in. I may still look at bigger beads; I need to search what the Crosman BB's are made of and find something bigger. Hobby Lobby is a great idea !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Banned
    Poly Plastic Pellets work well also.

I've tried white (Polly pellet brand) and black generic from Amazon

These BB's also work -- War 14,000 - pc INC .12g Premium 6mm Airsoft BB's w/Bonus Pistol ( camouflaged )

Boolit Master
    Well went to WalyWorld, found these, figured what the heck, less than $2 for little bag of 500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beads.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	259414

Getting very good coverage, only issue is - beads are white, power is white, bullets are white. lol
    Pick that out with your needle nose pliers !

All in all, happy !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Bub
    I use a big darning needle, might have to sharpen it a bit. Pops them right out

Powder coating bullets using the air soft BBs works very well for SOME applications. Remember the powders were engineered to work from an electrostatic gun and to me, it's a wonder that this Hillbilly shotcut of shake and bake works at all. Don't take my comment TOO harshly,I use the ASBB method a lot, there's just some times that a gun works MUCH better. Like Dragonheart, I coat HPs standing on a pin inside the HP. In my case it's a rivet through an aluminum plate. Gp

Boolit Master
    So, did the BBs not melt during the baking? You are making ballistic tips now! I have a similar mold, I checked mine, the round HP plugs aren't as aggressive as your mold. In a different thread guys were using and getting resuts with the pellets used in "bean-bag" chairs, a Hobby Lobby deal. I find too much powder with HP boolits will fill the cavities, but for me the HP designs are easier for me to use my tweezers to pull from the coating containers and place on the cooking sheet.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast