Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: where do you purchase lead

where do you purchase lead

Looking for a cheap sources to purchase pure lead.
    I am going to check the junk yard scrap dealer to see if the have any.
    Thanks Dave

Boolit Master
    Vendors and members in the S&S forums will have it up for sale on occasion at around a dollar a pound plus shipping. Sometimes you can find it yourself for less. Good luck in your hunt.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up 155 pounds at my local scrap yard last month. I paid $0.75 a pound. It all came from one sail boat keel. Using the artist pencil scratch test it’s roughly in the neighborhood of 9 BHN to 10 BHN.

JM

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Call the scrap yard and find out how much they pay for scrap lead. Then go to a plumbing or roofing supply stores and put up a signs with your number offering to pay 25-50% more than the scrap dealer. The scrap dealer will ask at least twice what he buys it for to sell it.

From ebay, I didn't think they had scrap yards any longer. And, wheel weights are mostly steel or zinc....

Boolit Master
    Scrap yard. Wheel weights, linotype, lead pipe and lead sheathing. I don't buy lead of an unknown alloy.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Got a couple tire shops still get some from!! Return is still worth the price, in my opinion. Just scrounge, brother, just network with friends, etc. Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    From ebay, I didn't think they had scrap yards any longer. And, wheel weights are mostly steel or zinc....
    Careful on EBay. I got some stuff that clogged up my bottom pour real bad. Had to flux the crap out of it. I no longer buy on there.

thanks or the help I could not make much sense out of e bay. Some want over 3$ a pound free shipping except amazon.

A guy I know brings barrels 2000#+ of wheel weights up from the city. I trade a portion of my soft supply to him for them so far I got almost 90% lead out of them lots of steel and a handful of zinc apparently the place he gets it from says it’s all led and they will replace any steel. I’m working on the second one Of three I have (first two only about 2/3S full) combined. So just ask around you might get lucky I’m guessing I’m around 0.10$ a# right now

Boolit Master
    I buy on here for coww. monotype and linotype,scrap yard for soft,unknown and wheelweights

Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    Careful on EBay. I got some stuff that clogged up my bottom pour real bad. Had to flux the crap out of it. I no longer buy on there.
    I've had that same experience, there just isn't a real option. I pressure pour with a ladle, flux a lot and wind up with very good bullets...

Moderator Emeritus

Good luck with scrap yards. Only one near me that I have found so far won't sell to us peasants.

Vendor Sponsor
    Tire shops mostly. In my area the wheel weights are still about 75-80% lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master
    I gave up on scrounging for lead. I don't have the time or energy to drive from one tire shop to another only to find wheel weights that are NOT made of lead anymore, and there are NO scrap yards within easy driving distance. I simply bit the bullet and now all of my lead comes from Roto-Metals. I get exactly what I want, and no surprises.

Roto-Metals: Prices are pretty high.
    Kevin c has some were talking about. price fits my skinny budget.
    Dave

I buy some from Ebay if the seller has a lot of good feedback. On here as well as form scrounging, watching the local Want Ad papers. I don't have any luck on Craig's List, Never can get ahold of the sellers. Find a lot laying on the road and parking lots. Look where the pavement is rough. Weights are more apt too fall of around rough spots, pot holes, speed bumps. You can often find hand tools as well.
    Yard sales, Flea markets, auctions Thrift stores like Salvation army and such. Are good places to look for lead, solder and pewter. Pewter is almost pure tin. Good to add a bit to the mix.
    Range lead. If you shoot at a range ask about range lead. Some mine it them selves to sell, others let you mine it. I always look around the berms when I set up or collect my targets. Look for bullets laying on top of the ground. Skeet and trap ranges might let you pick up the shot from the ranges or if they collect it sll it to you.
    While at the range ask around the others there. They may have some connections to share.
    My most recent buy was from an ad in the local Want Ad paper. I picked up 142 lbs. of mostly COWW ingots, some were soft lead and a couple blocks of pure lead, a couple coffee cans of loose COWW for $100. HE also had 25 lbs. of Bar Solder for $40. Some was 50/50 some was 40/60, all good.
    So keep looking, it can be found.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Ken warned me years ago to stock up when I could. So I got in the habit of spending a weekend a month chasing around tire shops and scrap yards. Early morning I would have a box of donuts to give folks that had a good supply. Noon time I would have a bunch of pop. Later at some of my best places I would leave the guys some beer in their truck.

That investment has paid me very well over the years. I quit chasing alloy and some would call me and I would tell them I had enough. A few of those folks had become friends, fished with several of them, so they knew where I lived. Eight years or more and I will still come home to buckets or rolls of lead sheathing.
    I will have to fire up my smelting pot again this spring. Plumber buddy dropped off a big pile of lead pipe, along with the bunch of buckets of WW.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of good suggestions above.

You can buy from places like;
    RotoMetals or Zip Metals
    The swapping and selling section here on Cast Boolits
    Small Mom and Pop tire shops
    Craigs list or local flee markets
    Your local classifides
    Some scrap yards will still sell to the public
    Stop and ask any local scrappers ( the guys with a yard full of appliances, ect)

Lead is where you find it. Tell your friends, co-workers, Family, ect that you need lead. I call this "Networking".

Its been a long time since I've seen any decent prices on Ebay.