Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Is this a Cramer Mold?

Is this a Cramer Mold?

The Mold has no name on it...trying to figure out what Make / Brand Mold this is.

Missing the Screw and Washer for the Sprue-Cutter ( if anyone happens to have those to spare, that I could buy? )

Otherwise, nice early style Wadcutter for the .44 Russian / .44 Special.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 02-15-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Sorry!

This ought to be in "Molds, Maintenance and Design" but I can not find how to delete it to start over in the right section.

That's a Cramer all right! What's more, it's their version of the Himmelwright (sp?) WC. Cramer (pre-Saeco) made an excellent mould: Hope you enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    That's a Cramer all right! What's more, it's their version of the Himmelwright (sp?) WC. Cramer (pre-Saeco) made an excellent mould: Hope you enjoy it!
    Thank you Maven!

It is such nice quality, and my first Mold that is not an Ideal or Lyman.

I'll enjoy Casting with it...

Looks like the Boolit it will throw is a little heavier than the ones of my Ideal Mold for the old Himmelwright design proper, these are like 1/8th inch longer Body, and one more Lube Groove, so, would be better for long distance this way I suppose.

Boolit Master
    If I may, I believe that's more likely a Modern Bond mold. Cramer 2 cavity molds generally had the alignment pins between the cavities, and almost all of the Cramer designs I've seen had either rounded lube grooves, or at least a useful draft. The very square nature of the lube grooves, along with the design of the mold itself is much more reminiscent of the Modern Bond molds in my collection.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    That's a Modern-Bond mould, and you should find "B-429-750" marked on one of the block halves.

Jim

Red face

Oops, I stand corrected: Nice mould though!

Boolit Grand Master

Who ever made it, I like the interesting bullet shape/design. Take the mold to a good hardware store and get a screw (pan head or round head and I prefer Phillips) to fit the threads for the sprue plate and a spring washer (wavy washer). I never buy just one screw, bolt, nut washer, mostly for future use I'll pick up a half dozen.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Very cool old mold. Great shape.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I think most all Cramer molds are stamped with the Cramer name on the side all of mine are and others I have seen. Modern Bond is avery good mold also.

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    If I may, I believe that's more likely a Modern Bond mold. Cramer 2 cavity molds generally had the alignment pins between the cavities, and almost all of the Cramer designs I've seen had either rounded lube grooves, or at least a useful draft. The very square nature of the lube grooves, along with the design of the mold itself is much more reminiscent of the Modern Bond molds in my collection.
    Ahhh!

Okay, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    That's a Modern-Bond mould, and you should find "B-429-750" marked on one of the block halves.

Jim
    Yes!

Indeed so - those numerals are what is on it...

Thank you!

Say, since you know these well, any idea where I might find the second Screw I need?

It is missing one Screw and of course it is nothing like the Screws one finds on the IDEAL or Lyman Molds.

This is the one Screw I do have, and I suspect that the Screw which holds the Sprue Plate was major diameter at the top to oblige the size of the Screw Plate Mounting Hole, so, at least at a glance, I expect two Screws were not the same at their upper shank part.

I might just see about finding some other 'Modern Bond' Mold which is for a Boolit I can enjoy and use, and I can just borrow the Screw from it, when wishing to cast with this Mold.

Hosted on Fotki
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 02-18-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Banned
    You need another screw that looks like the one you have. If you can find a screw with the right thread pitch it would not be difficult to turn the threads off the shank.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    You need another screw that looks like the one you have. If you can find a screw with the right thread pitch it would not be difficult to turn the threads off the shank.
    Upper area of Shank needs to be larger than OD of Threads, in order to fit the Hole in the Sprue Plate.

So, I'd have to sleeve the upper area of a Candidate Screw, and of course, lessen the diameter of the lower area.

Otherwise, the Screw Thread itself is a common small National Course or the likes, and I have old general purpose Screws in my smaller size Hardware Nut-and-Bolt-and-Screw Tins, which are too short, but which screw in perfectly.

I think I will instead just find another 'Modern Bond' Mold, having a Boollit shape and kind I can enjoy Casting and Shooting, and, just borrow the Screw and Washer from it, when I wish to use this Mold.

This would be easiest on me, and is also a good excuse to get another cool old Mold..!

So, a "Win Win" as they say!
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 02-19-2020 at 01:48 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    This is the one Screw I do have, and I suspect that the Screw which holds the Sprue Plate was major diameter at the top to oblige the size of the Screw Plate Mounting Hole, so, at least at a glance, I expect two Screws were not the same at their upper shank part.

I might just see about finding some other 'Modern Bond' Mold which is for a Boolit I can enjoy and use, and I can just borrow the Screw from it, when wishing to cast with this Mold.

Hosted on Fotki
    I only have two Modern-Bond moulds, so I am far from being as knowledgeable about them as others here, but both of my moulds use a screw identical to yours for the sprue plate. As counter-intuitive as this seems, it actually works and works well. The screw in the other block, which the sprue plate stops against, is similar except that rather than being reduced below the head the threads continue to the head.

There have been a couple of "junker" moulds on fleabay recently (cavities drilled out) for sale, but all the screws... and the handles... are there.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    I only have two Modern-Bond moulds, so I am far from being as knowledgeable about them as others here, but both of my moulds use a screw identical to yours for the sprue plate. As counter-intuitive as this seems, it actually works and works well. The screw in the other block, which the sprue plate stops against, is similar except that rather than being reduced below the head the threads continue to the head.

There have been a couple of "junker" moulds on fleabay recently (cavities drilled out) for sale, but all the screws... and the handles... are there.

Jim
    I'll keep my Eyes peeled! ( with the ebay ).
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 02-19-2020 at 03:37 PM.