Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Titegroup and pc

Titegroup and pc

So this reaction that occurs between these two. What are the conditions for it to occur?
    I have recently found some 9mm that i loaded up a few years ago and they fired without issue. Didnt think to break any down to see if anything had happened.

Storage for my rounds was in a plastic mtm style box, some boxes were powder on primer side, some were powder contacting boolit. Some were in 50 cal cans and some were just sitting on a shelf on my reloading bench, in a shop that is only heated when someone is in it.
    Powder coat was harbor freight red.
    Im western ky so humidity is always pretty high. Dunno what else could effect this. Seems i have everything stacked against me and should have had some squibs or something.

So people that have experienced it, what were the conditions for it to occur?
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    I've never seen or heard of any reaction between Titegroup and PC-- and I use lots of PC pistol bullets with Titegroup. Does it depend on the type of powder used in PC? (I use Smoke's clear).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    From what I have heard it is with the double base powders,that includes titegroup. If you pull a bullet and look at it scrape across the powdercoat with your fingernail. If it is gummy then you know. Whether it cause any problems I don't know. There is a powder called sport pistol that is designed not to react with coatings. I use it and it is good stuff!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Banned

I had a problem with it reacting. But it was my fault. I did not cook my bullets long enough. Once I started the 25min timer after the bullets wetted out it went away. It was bad enough to cause a few rounds to baarley get the bullet out of the barrel. I watched the bullet fall about 10' in front of me.

So yes it does happen if certain things are not what they are supposed to be. Make sure your temps are correct and you cook them for 20-25 min after the bullets wet out.

Easy fix, don't use TG. Some have tested it though:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Coated-Bullets
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Titegroup slightly dissolves many blends of PC and will stick to the back of the boolit. It still burns when fired! So who really cares.

I just store my TG loads nose up. And that storage was here in the AZ desert heat!

I would not give it a second thought. The small amount that could stick to the butt of the boolit will not change your load data.....it STILL ignites like it should. At least from the hundreds of rounds I have done with TG in past years.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    So this reaction that occurs between these two. What are the conditions for it to occur?
    I have recently found some 9mm that i loaded up a few years ago and they fired without issue. Didnt think to break any down to see if anything had happened.

Storage for my rounds was in a plastic mtm style box, some boxes were powder on primer side, some were powder contacting boolit. Some were in 50 cal cans and some were just sitting on a shelf on my reloading bench, in a shop that is only heated when someone is in it.
    Im western ky so humidity is always pretty high. Dunno what else could effect this. Seems i have everything stacked against me and should have had some squibs or something.

What reaction?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Bazzer458................The "reaction" is that grain/flakes of your gun powder will stick to the butt of the boolit since TG softens/dissolves sightly TG when in contact with the PC. I observed no degradation in performance when shooting rounds I knew were using TG and PC.

Only time it happens is with tumbled boolits. I never had the problem with ESPC because the base is bare Pb.

banger

Thanks banger for clearing this up.
    I figured the reaction was more severe since it was ever noticed. Sounds like it was discovered due to not completly cured powder coat.

Gonna continue filling my 50 cal cans loose now, not worried about this anymore.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

This has been discussed several times, related to the content of nitroglycerin in the powder and or coating on the powder. As Jim says, still goes bang OK.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m not worried about Tight Group, because I don’t use it. Someone mentioned all double base powders. Those I do use. Anymore details regarding double base powers?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m not worried about Tight Group, because I don’t use it. Someone mentioned all double base powders. Those I do use. Anymore details regarding double base powers?
    There are other double base powders, but TG has the highest content. It is one reason it burns so hot in the chamber/barrel. IT is just one reason I don't care for TG.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post

the conditions for Squibs using Titegroup and powder coating I have found to be, allowing the loaded cartridge to be oriented with the powder in contact with the base of the bullet for approximately one and one-half months. Typically, I use a rotation of five freezer containers, 96 rounds each with the cartridges just dumped loose in the containers with no effort to orient them. During "shooting season", I shoot 96 rounds every day and dorking around with orientation would add prep time to my endevor. I am currently experimenting with storing my rounds in cartridge boxes and then turning them upside down to keep the powder off the powder coated bullet. Another factor which may have an effect, is that I am using the very lightest load of Titegroup powder that I could find (published), using my typical 125-130 grain Lee RNFP bullets powder coated with Caroline Blue/Sky Blue (which I think are the same). The only time I have squibs is when the cartridges are allowed to sit that minimum length of time. Considering that I use the very minimum of Titegroup ( 2.9 grains), a larger powder charge may not result in a squib...I have not tried a heavier charge nor am I interested in experimenting with that. I have too much Titegroup to switch to another powder before it is used up. So to sum yes, Titegroup will produce squibs with very light loads, and allowed to contact the bullet base for a length of time (I normally shoot my complete rotation of five lots of 96 rounds within six days of loading them and have found no squibs when using that "fresh" supply of ammunition).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Easy fix, don't use TG. Some have tested it though:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Coated-Bullets
    Yes...very good advice if the person has not purchased any already. However, if they have an 8lb. container of Titegroup, your advice is to throw it away?