MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-imported S&W 10-5

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I have two model 10 revolvers that were re-imports. One was easy to identify because it has the lanyard ring on the butt and "RHKP" (Royal Hong Kong Police) heavily stamped on the back strap. That one is a 10-7.
    The other one is a 10-5 and it's a bit of mystery where it went before coming home. That 10-5 was absolutely pristine inside and out with one exception, it had a huge barrel to cylinder gap. It looked like it was un-fired or maybe fired very little...
    I recall reading somewhere on the internet (which means it must be true) that the Hong Kong police issued sidearms each shift, and it was common for the same weapons to be used by multiple shifts, leaving the balance with very little wear.

It has been my experience that even police surplus Model 10s which appear to have been through the wars were apparently not fired that often, and typically have mint bores and tight lockup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    I recall reading somewhere on the internet (which means it must be true) that the Hong Kong police issued sidearms each shift, and it was common for the same weapons to be used by multiple shifts, leaving the balance with very little wear.

It has been my experience that even police surplus Model 10s which appear to have been through the wars were apparently not fired that often, and typically have mint bores and tight lockup.
    I don't know where that 10-5 had spent its life but it wasn't in a holster.
    The 10-7 was clearly a former Royal Hong Kong Police gun and it had a little rougher life, but not too bad. Internally it was in excellent condition.

I agree that a lot of the police trade in S&W revolvers are often in very good shape even if the finish looks a bit rough.
    On another note, I once went though an entire rack of Remington 870 shotguns that were surplus from a police department. None of them looked good externally but I found one out of about 20 that was perfect internally. The stock looked like it had been chewed on by some animal but the action was like new. The bluing wasn't even worn off the action bars or the cuts inside the receiver.

Boolit Master
    I know some of those old police turn ins were pretty good revolvers. I have a 10-9 from RHKP. It was like it just came out of the box. And a decent shooter. I think for $230 I'd have to give one of the new imports a try if I didn't already have a few model 10s.

Boolit Master

A couple years ago I bought a Beretta 92s Italian police turn-in, for $199 from Numrich.

The one I got was mechanically perfect, barely fired if at all, and almost pristine on the outside (other than some scratches on one of the grips). I suspect it spent most of its life sitting in a drawer, because when I tried it out it was shooting way high. The only thing I could think to do was to build up the front sight with epoxy until it shot to point of aim. I shaped the epoxy with a file and colored it until it looked right, and it’s a great shooter.

Boolit Master
    I am going to order one for the wife. she has been wanting a wheel gun. I have a bucket of brass and a few molds.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    I was a LEO for 40 years. Most of my brother and sister officers only fired their weapons twice a year. Once to practice on their own time at a private range a few days before re-qualification, and then at re-qualification.

Most weren't great shots and sweated re-qual.

So lots of holster wear, but not much action wear.
    Last edited by Speedo66; 02-19-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Master

I probably shouldn't have, but I went back and bought another one. I got to choose between several, and chose the best, I think. I'll have to see how it shoots. Shouldn't spend the money, but it seemed to good to pass up.

Banned
    If I was in the market for a 4" K-frame in 38 Special, I would be all over that deal.

Boolit Grand Master

I ordered one from an alternate source since my original order was cancelled. I ordered it on the 18th and my dealer got it on the 21st. Besides some holster wear the gun is tight and internally pristine. I already have a drawer full of grips and holsters for K frames so I am thinking of hard chroming it...just because.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Picked it up today. A little beat up with slight holster wear, but, the action is tight and the bore is pristine.Attachment 258315Attachment 258316

All in all a good deal for the price.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

My son bought a Hong Kong PD M10 a couple years ago at estate auction. Gun is mint, it does have extra markings that were had stamped. Boy just bought it for house gun.

Boolit Grand Master

If Century brought it in, call or email them as they will have it on record and can tell you where it came from. You also might try the SW Forum. A few there are historians and have access to their records. Could probably tell you where it was sold to

Great price on that revolver.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Have a 10-3 - 1961 vintage - year before I was born. Sold off a LEO turn in 65 for it. I much prefer blued guns. Mine is a 4" bull bbl. I love it! And I have seen where some of the 10s are coming back in. Only thing I can tell you for sure, didn't go thru UK or they would have proof stamped the snot out of it! Iirc, I think I saw where some were coming back from France, as mentioned above. But not sure. Regardless, it is an inexpensive Smith that is awesome!

Boolit Master

I'm still pretty happy with mine; shot a couple hundred rounds through each of them so far. They're just plain-Jane old police guns, nothing special, but for the money hard to beat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8882[1].jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	258331

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12