WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: It's not a winchester but

Boolit Master

It's not a winchester but

I bought this hatchet in a yard sale this morning and while it is not a Winchester or Remington, it is a Firestone. I didn't know they even made hand tools, except maybe lug wrenches.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    You are the proud owner of a roofer's wooden-shingle hammer.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Are shingles contagious?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

YES! ! Especially when the blisters pop and ooze. My Doc just told me there's a new 2 part vaccine available. CAN'T WAIT! ! !
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Well... that one went sideways fast!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

A perfect candidate for sporterizing with a nice California Walnut handle. They excel for roofing and breaking things.

Boolit Master
    Went to Lowe's looking for a few extra axe.hatchet handles and the few they had were unacceptable for what I wanted. Usually hickory
    or ash make great handles. I bought one of the CRKT thomahawks just before Christmas 2018 Redid the cutting edge with a hand held stone and some motor oil. Nothing like wedges hold the axe on the handle. test fitting showed I had to remove a bit of wood so out came the trusty flat bottomed spoke shave. test fit and remove more wood, Finally got it where I wanted it, found a big oak which is in its last legs. almost forgot to get the handle securely attached to the ax what I do is turn the handle upside down and let the az fall until it hit the sewel on the handle. then reverse so that the now short end is pointing towards the ground. Then slam the short end hard against the ground.You should see the axe itself inder the bottom end of the axe head with a few wood fibers keep doing this until you feel no more wood fibers. Cut the fibers with a razor knife, Oil all exposed metal with a light coat of oil to prevent rust. Used to be a PLUMB roofing hatchet. Sticks pertty good.Frank

Boolit Grand Master

In the 40's or so Firestone decided to try their hand at a Western Tire type of store.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...3844%2C7387205

The axes were made by someone else and then stamped with their signature much like contract brewers in the microbrew industry now. They had several types of axes in Supreme and Deluxe. Looks like you have a Deluxe version. Near as I can tell, they were made by Plumb who did contract work for several companies.

Here is a nice write up of Plumb http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yest...umb%20Co..html

Clean that up, sharpen it and your ready to do some wood shingle roofing.

I got interested in this when I cleaned up an old axe that was in the corner of the shed and found an "M" and weight stamped on the head. Jury is still out on the maker as several stamped "M"'s on them including Mann, Plumb and Collins.
    Last edited by jonp; 02-16-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    YES! ! Especially when the blisters pop and ooze. My Doc just told me there's a new 2 part vaccine available. CAN'T WAIT! ! !
    Depending on what type of health insurance you have the price of the shots will have you saying "how much?" .
    I have medicare/Blue cross and the 2 shots cost me $260,got it done at Walgreens.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    Get on the WAIT list! Walgreens in my area ares at folks who signed up last August 2019

Go to Ace Hardware, they have a better selection of handles. Lowes and Home Depot don't have squat, I was told it's because their corporate legal teams don't want the liability risks of selling tool handles for people to replace themselves. Seriously, that's what they told me!

Wow surprised it’s not broken at the blade I’ve broken 3 of my hatchet so far well 2 for me a labour broke the last one
    But hey it’s a cool tool

Boolit Master
    The well of knowledge on this site is truly deep. I like to put handles on old hammers, hatchets chisels. I am working on one now. The problem here is the cost of replacement handles. You can buy a new tool cheaper than buying the handle.I have several waiting new wood. I picked up this handle in a yard sale yesterday.

I was pretty good at throwing one of those when I was in my teens.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the tip regarding axe or hatchet handles at ace hardware. Frank