RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buckshot from mould

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A search on eBay, Amazon, etc. for "Side Cutter" will get you decent side cutters for as low as $1.30 sometimes, if you are OK with waiting for shipments from overseas. (Taiwan, HK, China, India, ...)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    A search on eBay, Amazon, etc. for "Side Cutter" will get you decent side cutters for as low as $1.30 sometimes, if you are OK with waiting for shipments from overseas. (Taiwan, HK, China, India, ...)
    No, side cutters will not work well. Flush cutters are what to buy.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yes, I know the difference, I've been soldering for over 50 years... Do the search though, and you'll see that these ARE flush cutters. Granted, they're not Xuron or other premium branded flush cutters, but they're perfectly serviceable. Chinese workers use a LOT of flush cutters, and they also sell those here as it lowers the price of the cutters (principle of economy of scale.) Chinese folks have some ODD names for things we call by different names, and the search I suggest takes that into account.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't be buying anything from China right now, and maybe not for a couple months yet.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I wouldn't be buying anything from China right now, and maybe not for a couple months yet.
    Or a year! LOL

Boolit Bub
    I use dog toenail clippers. Then vibrate in a tumbler for a few hours.

Boolit Mold
    Question: if using a Lee 18-pellet mold, do you even need to cut the balls apart or if you plan to tumble them anyway, will the tumbling separate them and blunt the nib?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    I use dog toenail clippers. Then vibrate in a tumbler for a few hours.
    When you tumble do you leave media in with the buckshot or tumble just the buckshot ? Only sizes I cast are 0000 and 00000 , for those I’ve been rolling them between two blocks of flat metal .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Instead of using the 18 cav moulds why not use round ball moulds which make 6 at a time and don't require any added attention after being cut off.

Lee makes those too.

I got one of he little HF tumblers to do mine and they work pretty well if you let them run for a full day.

I had a .311 2 cav mould and even it is faster than dealing with sprues. .311 is "0.5" or in between 0 and 1. Close enough for me. 9 stack perfectly in a trap wad.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Instead of using the 18 cav moulds why not use round ball moulds which make 6 at a time and don't require any added attention after being cut off.

Lee makes those too.

I got one of he little HF tumblers to do mine and they work pretty well if you let them run for a full day.

I had a .311 2 cav mould and even it is faster than dealing with sprues. .311 is "0.5" or in between 0 and 1. Close enough for me. 9 stack perfectly in a trap wad.

My .02

Randy
    It may not be fun, but I can clip 18 buckshot apart way faster than someone can cast/cut, cast/cut, cast/cut 9 times.

Boolit Master

It may not be fun, but I can clip 18 buckshot apart way faster than someone can cast/cut, cast/cut, cast/cut 9 times.
    I guess you failed to read Randy's 1st sentence fully.....he said "use round ball moulds which make 6 at a time" before making your comment which fails to accurately address his.....
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master

I was replying to this sentence. "I had a .311 2 cav mould and even it is faster than dealing with sprues. .311 is "0.5" or in between 0 and 1. Close enough for me. 9 stack perfectly in a trap wad."

To each his own. I've got a .380 2 cavity mold for 0000 buck, and it is not as fast. That's all.

Boolit Master

To each his own. I've got a .380 2 cavity mold for 0000 buck, and it is not as fast. That's all.
    I’ve been using junky el cheapo Lee 2 cavity molds for 0000 (.380”) and 00000 (.395”) . I could order six cavity ones from Track of the Wolf but I cast enough already with the two cavity jobs to last me a good long while .

Boolit Master
    Nine LEE .319 balls ( 435 gr. total) stack perfectly 3x3 in a CB1118-12 wad in a Win AA hull.

Boolit Master
    Bear in mind my buckshot loads are generally loaded to be lower pressure not for my shoulders sake but just to be a bit more comfortable shooting them in damascus and twist barrels . About the only size I load for a 12 gauge 2 3/4” at present is single 0 nine pellets with buffer . I’d say maybe about 1100 FPS and it patterns very well from full choke barrels or atleast the six or seven I’ve tried it in so far . But again I normally pattern buckshot at 25 yards and leave it at that .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12