Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Shooters World Precision Rifle powder

Boolit Mold

Shooters World Precision Rifle powder

Has anyone used the Precision Rifle extruded powder from Shooters World for cast bullet loads in 308 and 30-06? It appears to be a similar burn rate to Varget. I am about to retire and I am looking for lower cost rifle powders to use for cast bullet shooting. I was also wondering about the MP 405 that American Reloading sells, if that would work with cast bullets? Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have used the shooters world powders. It work very well. I do find it hard to find load data on some bullet weights. Their is just not a lot of load data on some of it like their is for the run of the mill American powders. It is made in the Chech republic if I am not mistaken. It would be my go to powder if it weren't for that fact. I do prefer it over most others for the ones I have tried out.

Boolit Master

Hi shotshooter4,
    First, welcome to Cast Boolits! I currently use Shooter's World Long Rifle in my .308, .30-06s, and .260 Remington. I find it very consistent and dependable, a little slower than H380 but a little faster than H4350. I also had pretty good luck with it using cast bullets in my M1 Garands. I'm also a big fan of Shooter's World Buffalo Rifle which is a direct replacement for AA5744. My biggest issue with Shooter's World powder isn't that it's made in the Czechoslovakia, rather, it's not a very common powder in retail markets in my area. It is available from a few online retailers (e.g. Grafs & Sons, Powder Valley, etc.) It used to be that Shooter's World powders were significantly less expensive, but I'm finding that with a few exceptions (e.g. Buffalo Rifle vs AA 5744, Varget vs Precision Rifle) they cost about the same as other more common powders. If its available in a LGS near you, buy a pound and try it out. Good luck,
    Ed

Banned

I am getting Tactical Rifle for $16ish/ lb. And Auto Pistol for $20/lb. So it is a bit of savings. If I bought the AP in 8lb jugs then it would be the same as the Tactical powder.

Boolit Buddy
    i started on Precision Rifle last summer and found it is a one for one replacement for Varget. I use a lot of Varget each year (16 pounds plus) shooting matches. So when Varget prices started to rise and I went looking for something else. I also found Buffalo Rifle and Clean Shot. Buffalo Rifle replaces 5744 in my case bullet loads. Clean Shot replaces Titegroup in my 357 mag match rifle loads for pistol cartridge silhouettes. 5744 prices have gone well over $225 plus on 8 pounds.

Shhhhh Shooters World is junk . no good rotten powder you're better off with something else..................cough, cough

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i started on Precision Rifle last summer and found it is a one for one replacement for Varget. I use a lot of Varget each year (16 pounds plus) shooting matches. So when Varget prices started to rise and I went looking for something else. I also found Buffalo Rifle and Clean Shot. Buffalo Rifle replaces 5744 in my case bullet loads. Clean Shot replaces Titegroup in my 357 mag match rifle loads for pistol cartridge silhouettes. 5744 prices have gone well over $225 plus on 8 pounds.
    Is Buffalo rifle a direct replacement for 5744?

There was a time when Lovex made Accurate 5744 as seen from original label. BuffaloRifle is Lovex D060 as are Lovex all ShootersWorld powders

Banned

It USED to be the same. Not anymore. Made in different countries now

Boolit Buddy
    if you like 5744 powder and don't like the new very high price of 5744 then get some buffalo rifle.