RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Found a Stevens 44 1/2 in 28- 30 -120

Found a Stevens 44 1/2 in 28- 30 -120

Just found what appears to be a fairly pristine 44 1/2 in a model 45 shultizen (spelling) and has just a single trigger and has a Stevens marked tang sight and Beecher style front sight with windage adjustment knob on left side
    it is chambered in 28-30-120 .Paid a bit more for it than I wanted to ,but it is coming with a Lyman mold ,dies and 40 new brass
    It will be arriving at the end of next week from across the country ,here are a couple of pics from the ad
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	808D4160-0136-4EEC-A65E-6E367DB98262.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	256789

Name:	EC5492E1-8FA0-4030-8927-526182C51AA9.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	256790

Name:	88AD442A-4751-4576-9472-37F5167B0A0B.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	256791
    Last edited by blackbahart; 02-15-2020 at 10:25 AM.

That puppy sure looks like a pure-bred to me - Nice grab !

The 44-1/2 are the only Stevens falling block rifles, and are always worth acquiring.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Vendor Sponsor

Blackbart, good for you!
    "Schuetzen"
    Is there a group or club of schuetzen shooters that hold matches in your area?

Pietro, I am not sure what you mean - about the only falling block Stevens made? As in only model of falling block rifle that Stevens made? Sorry I don't get your meaning.

Happy Saturday.
    Chill Wills

I'm sure glad that you bought that Stevens on CGN and took away the temptation ... it was really calling to me too, but I just couldn't afford it right now! (Too many other "irons in the fire"!)
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Trust me - with some off hand practice using your new 44 1/2, 28-30 with the Schuetzen stock... it is one of the most accurate calibers out to 200yds

I have several 44 1/2's 22RF but I had a 28-30 barrel laying in the reloading room for a couple of years and came upon a 44 1/2 in 22WRF. So changed out the barrel and went to the range with the 28-30, 120gr reload ...

Congratulations on the new purchase of a Stevens 44 1/2
    Do me favor: On the ASSRA forum, we are logging the serial numbers of as many 44 1/2's known to owners to try to determine the production years because there are no factory records for production dates. PM me your serial number and I will add it to the list we are maintaining ... Thanks
    https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...m=1554911544/0
    Last edited by John Boy; 02-15-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by reverend al View Post
    i'm sure glad that you bought that stevens on cgn and took away the temptation ... It was really calling to me too, but i just couldn't afford it right now! (too many other "irons in the fire"!)
    thats the one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post

Pietro, I am not sure what you mean - about the only falling block Stevens made ?

As in only model of falling block rifle that Stevens made ?

Correctomundo - the 44-1/2 (and it's sub-models like the Model 45/47/49) was the only true falling block rifle, where the breechblock rises/lowers vertically, that Stevens ever made.

All the other Stevens single shot rifles had either bolt actions, tip-up/break-open (hinged barrel) actions, or swinging breechblocks (breechblock with a pivot ahead of the rear of the barrel's chamber).

That's a Stevens that's nice enough to pay extra for. Quality doesn't always come as cheap as we'd like, but condition like that will always hold it's value and increase in value.

Boolit Master
    That's a very nice rifle you have .

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Correctomundo - the 44-1/2 (and it's sub-models like the Model 45/47/49) was the only true falling block rifle, where the breechblock rises/lowers vertically, that Stevens ever made.

All the other Stevens single shot rifles had either bolt actions, tip-up/break-open (hinged barrel) actions, or swinging breechblocks (breechblock with a pivot ahead of the rear of the barrel's chamber).
    Okay. I did not know that. I have a number of 44-1/2 actions/rifles but I have not owned a model 44 action. I "assumed" it was a falling block but I think you are saying the action of the M-44 design makes it something other than. Thank you for pointing that out. I would enjoy taking apart the M-44 action sometime and see why it is the weaker little brother to the 44-1/2.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post

I would enjoy taking apart the M-44 action sometime and see why it is the weaker little brother to the 44-1/2.

With swinging block actions, which have their pivot point ahead of the rear of the chamber, if/when the pivot wears, headspace is effected.

The only issue a falling block would have from wear is that the firing pin position in relation to the cartridge changes, sometimes causing erratic ignition & degraded accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbahart View Post
    thats the one!!
    Yeah, I recognized it immediately from the photos ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    A Stevens 44 1/2 single trigger is on my short list

she landed yesterday ,gave it a look over and wipe down ,looks better in person .Took a family pic of the Stevens

Name:	6E909D83-4C8A-48B2-85CF-E1836F7CDFED_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	257302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9FD3B3E7-0975-4109-AA4A-7E7FF7202B63_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	257303

Vendor Sponsor

SO it looks like you had a one each 44 and 44-1/2 and now this very nice Schuetzen stocked 44-1/2.
    Very, very nice. I wish I could hold, look and shoulder the Schuetzen rifle.
    Chill Wills

yes ,the 44 is 32-20 and the middle is 40-65 .Just was looking for a smaller bore

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbahart View Post
    yes ,the 44 is 32-20 and the middle is 40-65 .Just was looking for a smaller bore
    You have some beautiful rifles there. I could never get close because I would drool all over them and ruin their finish. I got a CPA Stevens in 40-65 for BPCR matches many years ago and about the same time found a nice Stevens 44 in 32-20. A bit later I came across a really nice 417 Walnut Hill in 22lr that has the factory extended rear sights (don't remember what they called it) and Unertl type scope mounts and is that ever a heavy little .22. I was wondering if you ever shot the 32-20 and if so what did you do for ammo? I have shot my 32-20 with a Unertl scope and it shot well but I was told to go easy on the action (no hot rodding) or it will get loose so I'm going to try some of that commercial cowboy action ammo that runs something like 800 or 900 FPS.

Boolit Master
    The Stevens 44-1/2 was the only single shot designed for smokeless powder,I think the year was 1904. I understand that other single shots are just as strong but they were designed before we had smokeless powder.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 03-04-2020 at 10:24 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    With swinging block actions, which have their pivot point ahead of the rear of the chamber, if/when the pivot wears, headspace is effected.

The only issue a falling block would have from wear is that the firing pin position in relation to the cartridge changes, sometimes causing erratic ignition & degraded accuracy.
    Wear on the 44's pivot pin has no effect on headspace, except in the later .22 rimfires that were never properly fitted at the factory. (Product cheapening.) What does create excess headspace is the wear to the toggle linkage. The pivot pin should take none of the thrust from the cartridge. That is all borne by the shoulders at the rear of the breechblock opening.
    Cognitive Dissident