Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Duck Hunting Hobby

Boolit Master

Duck Hunting Hobby

I've been a Duck hunter for over 60 years and just recently (last few years) started a hobby of making Duck Calls. Are there any other Call Makers on this site?

Boolit Master
    I have made a few turkey calls. At least, one of them works well, as I have called in several toms with it. It's just a cedar paddle box call.

Boolit Master
    What do you make your duck calls out of ? I’m not much of a water Fowler so far but I like collecting stuff that can be used waterfowling .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Banned

Stabilized wood for the body. Then a plastic preform for the insert. Then you decide how many reeds it will have. I like a double reed for the hunting we did. Never had the lungs for the single reed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    What do you make your duck calls out of ? I’m not much of a water Fowler so far but I like collecting stuff that can be used waterfowling .
    Usually with dried Osage Orange, or Black Walnut. Neighbor and myself run a mill and cut for our own usage. The wood I have has been in the shed for over 10 years now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Usually with dried Osage Orange, or Black Walnut. Neighbor and myself run a mill and cut for our own usage. The wood I have has been in the shed for over 10 years now.
    I like Osage and of course walnut ! Kinda have a soft spot for curly maple as well .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

A co-worker started making calls after he retired. A Duck call is small enough that it does not get the full benefit of a nice grain like a gun stock does. Walnut comes out kind of plain. He ordered a lot of exotic tropical wood. Ebony was popular and looked nice. He also used Osage Orange or Bois d' arc a lot. He was always hunting for old fence post and used the part that was under ground. He also made them from man made materials like Corian. I remember that he always scoured dumping sites for thrown away brass beds. He made brass bands for his calls from the tubing from the bed. His wood calls were nice but a properly tuned call made from manmade material was more stable. The cold weather and the moisture in your breath could change the tone in a wood call.

Boolit Master

I agree about the plain Jane grain patterns with Walnut, which is why I use Walnut crotch wood. It is spectacular!! Working on one right now (I was until Eye surgery) and I'll post a pic later.

Boolit Buddy

This is one I made last fall; single reed made from Bocote I think. It works pretty good, I’m not much of a caller yet but I like tinkering on the lathe. I didn’t do much this winter, I need to move my MIDI lathe to the basement man cave and work on them while it’s -20 outside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240B5B75-67C8-4E0F-ACCB-3F1CC33F77F5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	257511
    Last edited by Powersgt; 02-26-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"