RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Powder question Old Federal 12ga 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot

Banned

Powder question Old Federal 12ga 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot

Ok experts

What powder was used in factory Federal 12Ga 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot loads? I hate to throw away the powder. I'm using the shot for 45acp and 40 cal shot shells.

Boolit Buddy
    It always looked like Red Dot to most, but it was not the traditional canister powder that we get. It was blended and formulated for them by the train car loads. I wouldn't risk it, IMHO. Fertilize your roses with it.

Banned
    Its looking like Unique to me. I wish I knew for sure because I hate to throw away powder.

Boolit Master

It's not a good idea to use old powders that you don't know what they are but, if you must use it you could start with Bullseye data and work up slowly and carefully watching for pressure signs. I would be for throwing it out unless you have a huge amount it's not worth the effort .

Ken
    Last edited by skeet1; 02-15-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Salvaging that powder is going to be quite a task. I have done it on a dozen or so cases at a time when I get poor crimps but cannot imagine breaking down say a case of loads. Likely about 18 gr in each , so well under a pound. I buy Promo for less than $15/lb. Saving $10 is not worth it IMHO.

BTW, if these are 2 3/4 DE shells, it is most likely a faster powder than Unique as it is more cost effective to use smaller charges. Handicap loads are more likely to have a slower powder.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Salvaging that powder is going to be quite a task. I have done it on a dozen or so cases at a time when I get poor crimps but cannot imagine breaking down say a case of loads. Likely about 18 gr in each , so well under a pound. I buy Promo for less than $15/lb. Saving $10 is not worth it IMHO.

BTW, if these are 2 3/4 DE shells, it is most likely a faster powder than Unique as it is more cost effective to use smaller charges. Handicap loads are more likely to have a slower powder.
    I'll dump it on the roses then. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

When you have poor crimps on your hulls. open them up by hand and then use a 3/4" gasket hole punch and cut it out of a cracker box and use that for over the shot and then re crimp it. and then after you use the round do what you like after. that way you do not waste the round.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

dump out the shot keep the wad in place and keep the powder in the hulls for 'light' slug loads