Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: The Guns of Magnaport

Boolit Buddy

The Guns of Magnaport

Here's a story about a couple of very nice revolvers and a not so nice day on the range.

Howard

Banned
    Where is the story Howard?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Where is the story Howard?
    Ha, ha! It's buried in the video.

Howard

Banned
    The link to the video?

Boolit Buddy
    The link to the video?
    Hmm. The link appears on my computer browser and on my phone. Try this one and see if it works:
    https://youtu.be/yO3VI0GPNRs

Howard

Boolit Master

What was the issue with your 686?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    What was the issue with your 686?
    I’ll be covering the issue and the repair in my mid-week update video. Stay tuned.

Howard

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I had my S&W 586 magnaported and I also installed the Trijicon Tritium sights on it for night time use too. I was doing police work at the time and figured it would all help if I ever had to use it. Anyway I found that the magnaporting did seem to help some with the muzzle flip and the night sights really worked in the dark. But I suspect that once you fire off that first 357 mag round in the dark, you may not have much night vision left.

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of the newer defensive ammo uses flash inhibiting chemicals in the powder. Maybe I should make a video sometime comparing that ammo to standard ammo. That might be interesting.

Howard

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    A lot of the newer defensive ammo uses flash inhibiting chemicals in the powder. Maybe I should make a video sometime comparing that ammo to standard ammo. That might be interesting.

Howard
    Your thread and comments are making me wonder if your a vendor of some type.

My experiences with porting is they look cool but in all actuality they don't do a thing. Noticed absolutely no difference between a stock S&W 629 ported and unported with the same ammunition.

My experiences with porting is they look cool but in all actuality they don't do a thing. Noticed absolutely no difference between a stock S&W 629 ported and unported with the same ammunition.
    You probably need to have your Noticer recalibrated. Muzzle brakes and porting systems produce a definite, measurable reduction in recoil or bounce depending upon design of the system.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    My experience muzzle brakes on rifles work. We have two identical 22-250's one with a brake and the other without and there is a very slight difference. Still cannot say there was enough of a difference for me to think a ported 629 was any different than an unported one. Kind of like "Snake oil" audio products. If you think there is a difference then you will hear a difference. Psychological in most cases....again my opinion with my "Noticer recalibrated."

Boolit Buddy

I had my Mossberg 12 gauge rifled slug barrel magna-ported and it does take some of the sting out. Money well spent.

Boolit Buddy

I’m not sure what you mean by “vendor.” I’m a lifelong firearms enthusiast and a YouTube content creator. I try to promote my videos and I hope people find them informative and entertaining. I guess if that makes me a vendor, then I’m guilty as charged. On the other hand, if the implication is that I’m trying to sell something to people through my videos, then that is not the case. I do have an affiliation with Optics Planet, which allows me to pass on a discount code to my viewers, but I really don’t even “advertise” for OP.

With regard to the effects of barrel porting on a handgun, the amount of recoil and muzzle-flip reduction is dependent upon a lot of factors. Some pistols/revolvers utilizing some types of ammunition demonstrate greater results than others. I tend to notice at least some reduction in most any ported vs. non-ported firearm, but it is certainly more dramatic in some than in others.

Howard

Boolit Master

More gas means more effective action from the porting device. Keep that in mind.

Boolit Master

Well I can't speak for everyone. But I definitely noticed the difference when qualifying on the police gun range. We had to fire off our police issued 18 rounds of 158 grain, 357 magnum ammo for the first test. it was a rapid fire kind of thing where you had a time limit with rotating targets and you had to reload quickly of course (we used speed loaders). The rest of the ammo used for qualifying was 38 special wadcutters that the police department reload and issue. if you failed to qualify you didn't get fresh 357 magnum ammo to carry. Anyway, I did notice it was easier to fire on the targets after magnaporting than before I had it done. Less muzzle flip, quicker sight alignment. But nothing spectacular to write home about though.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the up to the minute report on my MNP 686+

Howard

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Well I can't speak for everyone. But I definitely noticed the difference when qualifying on the police gun range. We had to fire off our police issued 18 rounds of 158 grain, 357 magnum ammo for the first test. it was a rapid fire kind of thing where you had a time limit with rotating targets and you had to reload quickly of course (we used speed loaders). The rest of the ammo used for qualifying was 38 special wadcutters that the police department reload and issue. if you failed to qualify you didn't get fresh 357 magnum ammo to carry. Anyway, I did notice it was easier to fire on the targets after magnaporting than before I had it done. Less muzzle flip, quicker sight alignment. But nothing spectacular to write home about though.
    Its a little pricey in my humble opinion for you get in return.