RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: I have this 'thing' for octagonal barrels

I have this 'thing' for octagonal barrels

Whenever I see a rifle for sale with an octagonal barrel I have to have it.

My 1886 45/70, 38/55 Hiwall, original '92 in 38/40, 30WCF Low wall, Henry 22rf etc. Just seen a Winchester low wall in 22WCF with a ruined octagonal barrel and broken stock. thinking about a reline to 218Bee.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    They never go out of style.

Boolit Buddy
    Rifles with octagonal barrels just have a classic look to them.

Kinda like girls with muscular thighs.....

Boolit Master
    Like a bug to the porch light. I usually bench as far left as possible due to the new age of idiots allowing me one quick eye for movement down the line. This past Thursday a Gentleman about my age is setting up and sliding out of case I see the steel crescent, square lever and then the octagon. Then all the assortment of red and blue boxes was uncovered. I must go see, a beautiful little Marlin with the perfect wear and patina it was. Then the following conversation of alloys, lubes, etc., and the other ones at the house. Now I may be a little biased, and after a forty five minute chat does it not appear that octagon people are usually just good human beings?

They are indeed classic. My brother had a gorgeous Browning 1885 7mm mag with a 28" tapered octagon barrel. I wanted it even though I have little use for that cartridge. Without firing it, he had it rebarreled to .375 H&H with a heavy barrel- and let the 'smith keep the octagon barrel. Barf.
    I always chuckle when folks say "Hex" barrel.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Have two Canadian Cenntenials one with the 20" barrel. It now wears a Williams peep and a Lyman 17 target globe front sight. But a few years later found another Canadian Centennial with the 26" long barrel. It just hangs in your hands and with cast bullets not much recoil. Even with factory loads with the extra 6" of barrel velocity is also a little faster than normal. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Kinda like girls with muscular thighs.....
    I know what you mean....... I used to refer to them as having "4 bolt mains"

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Like a bug to the porch light. I usually bench as far left as possible due to the new age of idiots allowing me one quick eye for movement down the line. This past Thursday a Gentleman about my age is setting up and sliding out of case I see the steel crescent, square lever and then the octagon. Then all the assortment of red and blue boxes was uncovered. I must go see, a beautiful little Marlin with the perfect wear and patina it was. Then the following conversation of alloys, lubes, etc., and the other ones at the house. Now I may be a little biased, and after a forty five minute chat does it not appear that octagon people are usually just good human beings?
    Umm so what happened to the Marlin? Love em too.

Boolit Master
    Nothing happened to the Marlin other than a slow fondling by me before must hand it back. Just perfect patina on that 1894 in 32-20, he put some rounds through it making those wonderful little puffs of white and gray and back in the case it went. He had some time with that rifle, it was dialed in @ 50.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the half round, octagon, and my real favorite is the tapered octagon. Even though it was only around .005 per inch it was just enough to give that graceful look.

I bought one of the new Winchester/Miroku 1873’s in 44-40 with a 24” tapered octagon barrel. I was encouraged to buy it as they made just a handful of them. Beautifully polished and finished,shoots amazingly well.
    My favorite Shiloh has32” half octagon/round barrel, looks and feels wonderful. I also bought the Win/Miroku 1873 Deluxe. again in 44-40. Half round/oct. beautifully polished and blued. This rifle is a candidate for a Turnbull case coloring then it would be stunning.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a good plan, 218 Bee is FUN !!

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Wallace, that thing you have is called good taste.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.