Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casting with indoor range lead

I got my first bucket of wheel weights. Not expecting a lot more. One tire shop has some but they want $25 a 5 gal bucket for them, and I’m sure it’s at least half zinc. The bucket I got was free. I also do some mining for range scrap. I’m wanting to get about 2000# stored for future use-depending on the election!
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I follow along daily and now have to comment. Every time I see a post like this it completely cracks me up. To me it seems that there are those that believe lead is everywhere and easy to acquire. I have been progressing into this over the past year and I would be ecstatic to come upon a 200/300lb score of lead of any kind. Be it Wheel weights, range scrap or just plain salvaged scrap.

I don't argue or deny the advantages of processing large quantities it's just that for some of us acquiring that much at one time is near impossible. Those that do have access to those amounts consider yourselves fortunate. And yes I admit I am jealous.
    Its hard for those of us that still have lead readily available to remember that thats not the case in other parts of the country. We don't mean anything malicious when we talk about our scores or make suggestions.

Pewter is scarce around here and I'm fairly jealous of the guys that find it everytime they go hunting.
    Last edited by lightman; 03-05-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I've only melted range scrap a few times. This was picked up off of the surface of the back stop several years ago. It was mostly cast bullets in 38 and 45. The favorite bullseye calibers of the day. I never checked the hardness or the content. But back then it would have been a mix of wheel weights, lino and Lyman #2. I want to say that my yield ran about 70-75%, dirty lead in and clean lead out. It was good stuff but required lots of work.

The closest that I can figure I get above 85% good lead from wheel weights. This is from sorted weights that go into the pot, not the % of lead weights in the bucket. That % seems to still be running 65-70% around here. Fortunately I get my weights free except for the occasional box of donuts.

No maliciousness is ever taken. But I do openly admit I am a green eyed envious person when I read of these big scores. I now keep my eyes and ears tuned and have become unafraid to ask.

I haven't even begun to look for Pewter as I think partially I wouldn't know what to look for and don't want to buy junk. Though I did just buy 15lbs of print type.

Boolit Master

It will be interesting to see how my smelting works when I clean the bullet traps next month. The local PD that uses our range has switched to the Winchester NT non-toxic ammo for qualifications. Best info I have is the bullet is a copper powder bonded with tin. Adding tin to the smelt should yield a perfect casting alloy. The PD is the only user for the NT ammo at our range since the 9mm costs about $1.15/round but they use a lot of it.

Boolit Grand Master

It will be interesting to see how you come out with that NT ammo. I fear the worst but hope for the best.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not gloating, but . . . I recently was offered a ton (literally) of range scrap from my club's indoor range bullet trap. I was tempted, but due to some health issues I had to pass. I've helped clean out the bullet trap a couple of times in the past few years, but the hard work damn near killed me. Lots of work to melt too, but I've got at least a ton of "free" lead from them and I still have about 10 buckets I have yet to melt down. Late last year, I lucked into a few free buckets of wheel weights and some misc lead from some older club members. I don't cast too many bullets these days, but I make quite a bit of lead shot for 5-stand shooting (I just recently made 240lbs). 5 pts of the range lead mixed with 1 pt w/w works good for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123