RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Dot vs Clays

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    Hodgdon's web site has IMR Red load data for 9mm, 38spl, 44spl, 45acp, and 45 colt.
    I was just wonder for the 2 is compare to each other. I know when they first came out with the IMR color powders they said it to take the place of the Dot powders and some of the others because of at the time for the Allient powders was hard to find. Burnts Fingers reply to what I was wonder about . Thank you for letting me know about Hodgdon's site.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

My findings are that Clays is much cleaner, Red Dot is cheaper, and Red Dot has a much better chance of making factory equivalent powered ammo. Clays cannot make factory power levels in 9mm or 40S&W. Clays is accurate and clean for light loads. Red Dot is just as accurate, but can be safely loaded to higher velocities, and is also good for reduced velocities.

I think Titegroup is about as good as it gets for an all around good clean powder, and it is cheap. Just be aware that it can take up such a small amount of case volume as to allow a “double charge” to go unnoticed.

Boolit Master
    Shotgun powders are made to burn cleanly at low pressures (and temperatures), so most will burn even cleaner at handgun pressures. There are 3 "Clays" powders, the other two are International and Universal. Consult tested loading data to find which one will work best for your desired ballistics. I haven't used Red Dot, but should try it, but my experiences with Blue Dot for magnum handgun loads weren't very good. Alliant 2400 was always better. The same maker's Bullseye and Unique have been excellent in my 45s.
    My shotgun loads with Clays have been pleasing on the range or in the field, but it leaves a tough tarry residue in my semiauto shotgun's gas system that's hard to remove.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12