WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894 to????

Boolit Master

Marlin 1894 to????

Ok don't shoot me if this is stupid

I have a Marlin 94 in 44 magnum. Great gun, I am just not crazy about 44 magnum.
    Could I rebore it to another caliber???
    Is it even possible?

Boolit Master

Money can make it happen!

Sell the gun, you'll get money.
    Now, take the money and you may have to add more money to it, and buy a 1894 Marlin in the caliber of your choice.

That's the cheap way.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 what Hickory said. There are plenty of people that would want a good lever gun in .44. Sell it and buy whatever caliber you want.

Boolit Master
    I am thinking that too.
    Really been looking at the Henry in 41 mag.
    My preferred caliber
    I just really like marlins

Boolit Grand Master
    Why? Nothing wrong with the .41 Mag but what is not to like about a .44 Mag?

I sold my 1894 in .44 Mag as I was not shooting it much. If I reduced the load to a more enjoyable level, it wound up with the power of a .357...and I had four rifles in .357. But mine shot very well.

Rebarrelling it is going to be expensive. Anything can be done with enough money but it is worth it?

BTW, the .41 Mag must be one the most underappreciated offerings out there. I think it is a great cartridge but the limited availability of offerings keeps it down. If you really want one, the Henry is one path, but like you, I cannot seem to liked the Henry. Marlin made the 1894 in .41Mag so I would look for a used one.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post

I have a Marlin 94 in 44 magnum.

Great gun, I am just not crazy about 44 magnum.

Could I rebore it to another caliber???

Is it even possible?

Keeping in mind that a re-bore involves ENLARGING the bore, and the 1894 is a short/pistol cartridge action, the only re-bore option would be to a .45 cal (like the .45 Colt).

Goin to a smaller chambering, like a .357, .32/20, etc would involve re-barreling and changes to an appropriate forend, cartridge lifter & magazine tube (etc) - IMO not financially viable (aka: a money pit).

Sell it and buy what you want...………………

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

You sound like me, but I might be wrong. I like winchesters and I like MY gun. I like to modify MY gun. I dont want to sell it. Keep it, it might be a good project gun, or just get it re barreled to a similar cartridge.

Sometimes selling isn't in the near future

Ranger Point Precision used to do conversions to 45acp . Since economics is never a winning issue with these conversions I would think 10mm or 454 Casull would be cool. Also the 460 and 480 handgun rounds.

Banner Sponsor

I read an article several years back about modifying the 1894 Marlin. They said that they largest case that could fit was the 50AE. The case it'self just barely fits in the frame window. The 50AE has a 44 mag rim, so no change to the bolt face would be required.
    I don't know how much room there would be to rebore the original barrel, or if you would have to have one turned down for it. Sounds like an interesting project. You might talk with JES and see if the original barrel could be rebored to .500".
    If it was me, I'd be real tempted to get a new octagon barrel and have it fit to the action. It would probably be expensive, but a 50 cal in a light and handy levergun would be great.

Boolit Grand Master

Sell it and buy what you want. I’ve been asking Henry to make an all weather 41 mag since the others have come out but no dice. I’d love to have a factory 480R/475LB without paying Big Horn Armory prices.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    I am thinking that too.
    Really been looking at the Henry in 41 mag.
    My preferred caliber
    I just really like marlins
    I took me a few years but I just picked up my Marlin 41 lever yesterday at my FFL. Like you I always wanted one. The 44 is on my list of missing calibers. Good luck

I have an early 70's 1894 in 44 mag with a gouge in the chamber from the factory. Looks like a chip got between the reamer and the barrel. It works OK with moderate loads, but not with full power ones. I'm thinking it needs to get rebarreled to 38-40 with one of the Green Mountain octagon blanks, and an octagon front end. Another one of those some day projects when I feel motivated...

Boolit Buddy
    475 linbaugh , just saying

Boolit Bub
    The cheap route would be what Hickory said, sell it buy what you're really looking for. With the dearth of 41 mag Marlins out there, I've thought of converting a 44 mag to it. The bolt face is a little sloppy, but in testing empties in a 44 mag it extracted. I've ran this buy a friend who happens to be a barrel maker and got a luke warm reception. He's skeptical, rightly so, that when you run the pressures up to 40K psi it may not extract as positively as you'd like with the bigger bolt face. Finding a 41 mag bolt to replace it is like finding an honest neo-marxist Democrat politician. Like many, I don't like the Henry. I have no need for a heavy pistol calibre lever gun, and dislike the tube feed, eliminating the "shoot one, load one" option.
    The 454 isn't a possibility in the Marlin action because of pressures, and the 475 I believe is problematic in length and the loading port size. The good news is find a couple of good moulds that throw a .432" or a bit bigger and enjoy the Marlin .44 mag. I'm not a .44 guy either, preferring the .41, but I've got two .44 Marlins that shoot well, cycle well, and really like the Lee 430-310 slug, so that's what I use.

Boolit Master

If you go the rebarrel route, another idea would be to make it a 357-44 Bain & Davis, just the 44 case with a short neck to 357. No action mods required and, with 160 grain bullets, you could approach standard 30-30 ballistics in a shorter carbine that holds more in the magazine.

I enjoy noodling this sort of project and have seen some of them through, mostly revolvers.

Boolit Master
    if it is true that the 45 Colt in the Marlin 1894 has a twist of 1-38, then re-bore would be my option.

Who, I wonder, was responsible for the 1-38 twist in 44 mag and 45 Colt?
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Love the Bain Davis conversions.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    If you go the rebarrel route, another idea would be to make it a 357-44 Bain & Davis, just the 44 case with a short neck to 357. No action mods required and, with 160 grain bullets, you could approach standard 30-30 ballistics in a shorter carbine that holds more in the magazine.

I enjoy noodling this sort of project and have seen some of them through, mostly revolvers.
    EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS!!

Find a smith to spin off that 43 Bbl and install and chamber a 357 barrel.

First on your block to have a B&D!!

Great caliber!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Just got done on two 94s from 45 colt to 45 ACP. Set the barrels back, cut one dovetail and shorten the mag tube. Then change the timing of the carrier.

Boolit Master

I'll play... 1894? .431 is too close to .451/452 to completely cleaned up all the way and I think the barrel might be alittle thin to go 480 special and I believe the receiver is too weak for 50K+ or whatever the establish SAAMI pressure is. Easiest as recommended above is to sell and reinvest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast