RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Performance in a Revolver vs Rifle for mid-range rifle cartridges (44-40)

Performance in a Revolver vs Rifle for mid-range rifle cartridges (44-40)

Referring to the 44-40 here...

It is amazing how over time things change....by that I mean how things are viewed can change 180 degrees. Back during the advent of the Winchester 73'...as being considered a "rifle cartridge". This new rifle cartridge being made available in a revolver, both met with great performance because of the use of black powder. But when the transition from black powder to smokeless powder was under way, the rifle's "performance" excelled or remained the same (to make a long story short) while the revolver of this same caliber eventually began to suffer. When the transition to smokeless powder was complete, rifles still used rifle powder and the same caliber and maintained original black powder performance. The revolver suffered because of the sorter barrel and needed a faster burning powder. Thus "pistol powders" were needed in revolvers to maintain black powder revolver performance...referring to both velocity and pressures.

Interestingly enough I ran across the following information;

"The 44-40 is capable of excellent performance when loaded properly for handgun use. If, however, one endeavors to combine loading for both handgun and rifle in this caliber, he is destined to meet with only mediocre success. As in all other dual-purpose cartridges, the factory loads are only a compromise at best. Smokeless-powder loading for handguns requires a much more rapid-burning type than loading for rifle use, as the short barrel must burn all the powder if satisfactory results are to be achieved. In addition, rifle cartridges can be loaded to a pressure of about 30,000 pounds in this caliber, whereas the same load in a revolver would be more or less disastrous." Thus the reason for modern mediocre factory loads using pistol powders." ~Sharpe 1937

I got thinking about this and decided to re-write using a more modern outlook on performance and how people view or mis-understand this great cartridge;

Hypothetically...

"The 44-40 rifle is capable of excellent performance when loaded properly for rifle use. If, however, one endeavors to combine loading for both handgun and rifle in this caliber, he is destined to meet with only mediocre success. As in all other dual-purpose cartridges, the factory loads are only a compromise at best. Smokeless-powder loading for rifles requires a bit slower-burning type than faster-burning loading for revolver use, as the longer barrel allows more time for the slower burning rifle powders to burn enough powder if satisfactory lower chamber pressure results and original 1,300fps or greater velocities are to be achieved. In addition, revolver cartridges can be loaded to a pressure of only about 11,000 psi in this caliber, whereas the same load in a rifle can be more or less favorably closer to 18,000 psi for strong action rifles."

IMR-4227 is today, a mid-range rifle powder that has been around for many many years. Catered today to the small rifle calibers and is ironically IMR's "Magnum" powder. IMR-4227 directly replaced IMR's 1204, another small caliber rifle powder. IMR-4227 has a very similar burn rate to Dupont's No.2 powder that was used in the 44-40 at the turn of the century.

Another rifle powder that was used was Sharpshooter. This powder was a direct replacement to be used specifically in black powder rifles from the 22/15/16 Stevens to the .50/100 Win Regular. Interestingly again Sharpshooter has a burn rate closer to Hercules 2400 and still close to today's Alliant 2400. Yet another small caliber rifle powder catered to the "Magnum" world due to it's slower burn rate. I prefer this secondary to IMR-4227 because it can get erratic although I have not personally experienced any erratic performance yet.

These powders are a bit too slow for short barrels thus the need for faster burning powders in revolvers.

Both Bullseye and Unique are at least two of the first "pistol" powders used in the 44-40 revolvers. Bullseye from 1898 and Unique from 1900. It may have taken some time to transition this to revolver shooters and with what Sharp mentioned in his 1937 manual, it was still being said that in order to get better performance in revolvers, the handloader need to use pistol powders as I mentioned at the opening of this topic.

As time went on, this information was forgotten. With the misconception that the 44-40 is a "pistol" cartridge, rather than it's more accurate "Mid-Range Rifle" title, folks want to load rifles with pistol powders...then cry when the performance is only "mediocre" at best in order to keep pressures low!!!

Thus 2400 and IMR-4227 perform much better in the 44-40 rifles while Unique, Bullseye and a few others perform better in revolvers.

In order to achieve original "1,300fps" rifle loadings, one must use a mid-range rifle powder, Reloder 7...to maintain pressures lower than 12,000psi. However, like the article says, this load in a revolver produces less than "pistol powder" velocities. I use 25.8gr of Reloder 7 with a 220gr 43-214A/1,350fps @ 11,000psi. This load gives me 40 consecutive shots inside 4" at 100 yards.

In order to achieve original 900fps revolver velocities with black powder, one must use faster burning pistol powders like Unique and Bullseye but can get by with 4227 and 2400 by following Lyman's data.

NOT FOR REVOLVERS/Not for Weak Action Rifles (Winchester 73')

For low pressure High Velocity (1,500fps/14,000psi) rifle loads, IMR-4227 used with 200gr lead "Magma" bullets
    For high pressure High Velocity (1,590fps/18,000psi)rifle loads, IMR-4227 used with a 200gr Winchester JSP or Speer JHP #4425

For more detailed information;

https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/velocities

Very interesting. Thanks for the write-up. I recall as a teenager seeing boxes of .44-40 at the LGS that were marked with the caution "For use in rifles only."

I think it all depends on what you're after. If it's interchangeability of cartridges between rifle and revolver, then one has to settle for the middle-of-the-road loads, and personally that's where I'm at. Otherwise, it seems to make little sense to own both rifle and revolver in the same caliber.

Winchester mad some smokeless loads for the 44-40 that were for the 92 Winchester only. They achieved a claimed 1700 fps and were not for revolvers. I have an old Lyman book that has some handloads for a 92 Winchester in 44-40 at around 2000 fs. As one member put it, a lot of good 44-40's have been ruined by those loads. However for rifles like the 73 onw should be able to achieve the original 1300 fps. There is a difference between pressure and thrust.

DEP

I do not understand how the factories have not designed a 22lr cartridge to be used in rifles, at one point I thought of experimenting with one with 2400, but I gave up not knowing what pressures the 22 brass supports

I have fired some of the Lyman “obsolete section “ loads( 200gr JHP/ 2000fps) from a Rossi 62SRC 44-40. I will not do that again. Besides the recoil, the front barrel band jumped loose from its retaining slot. .35 Remington power from the .44 WCF comes at a HIGH price.....

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Winchester mad some smokeless loads for the 44-40 that were for the 92 Winchester only. They achieved a claimed 1700 fps and were not for revolvers. I have an old Lyman book that has some handloads for a 92 Winchester in 44-40 at around 2000 fs. As one member put it, a lot of good 44-40's have been ruined by those loads. However for rifles like the 73 onw should be able to achieve the original 1300 fps. There is a difference between pressure and thrust.

DEP
    The only Winchester factory loads I am aware of in that ball park are the 1,570fps High Velocity high pressure loads of 22,000cup...approx 18,000ishpsi

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...e-box-timeline

Attachment 257791

Sharpe lists some pretty heavy loads back in 1937 up to 2,100fps and various pressures for other HV's.

200gr JSP
    2400/2,100fps/33,000cup
    Unique/1,520fps/16,000cup
    Sharpshooter/1,680fps/20,000cup
    Lightning/1,720fps/20,000cup
    1204/1,830fps/xxx
    SR80/1,625fps/xxx

200gr Lead
    2400/1,910fps/20,000cup
    Unique/1,530fps/16,000cup
    Sharpshooter/1,720fps/20,000cup
    Lightning/1,670fps/20,000cup
    SR80/1,300/xxx

Ironically he lists loads for revolvers in the 15,000cup range

Now this was before SAAMI 12,000cup max. 15,000cup was considered a "low pressure".

For example, a Sharpshooter load for a 200gr JSP which produced 1,505fps @ 14,000cup was considered and refered to as a "Low Pressure" "High Velocity" load. However, this load was also labeled NOT FOR REVOLVERS nor for the Winchester 73'

In my testing, black powder loads using pre-1884 unheadstamped cases produced 14,000psi...approx 15,000ishCUP. That same load in modern cases produced only 10,000psi, 12,000ishCUP.

I think this is were the black powder vs smokeless powder pressure curve comes into play. 15,000cup black powder loads were okay but 15,000cup smokeless powder loads were not okay for the Revolvers.

Unlike the Revolvers, early Smokeless powder loads were specifically used in the Winchester 73' of which they claim created less pressures than Black Powder. Although early Red Label boxes did not show the NOT FOR PISTOLS, shortly there after...they did!!!
    Attachment 257792

However, by 1910ish the NOT FOR PISTOLS was eventually removed from the side label.

By the 1930's, "higher" pressures were being used in rifles and revolvers due to what powders were eventually used.

So basically with the "newer" Winchester 73's and revolvers, pressures produced with Red Label smokeless powder ammunition of the era were in the 14,000cup - 15,000cup range.
    For the Stronger action rifles like the Winchester 92' and the Marlin 1894's, the High Velocity Winchester factory loads were increased to 22,000cup pressures.

Once the Mid-Range rifle cartridges were superseded by more exotic rifle and handgun calibers, the powders were discontinued or the formulas altered. By the end of WWII...and especially by the 1960's, the 44-40 factury loads were basically all handgun powders.

We all know SAAMI had roots as early as 1913 but it really wasn't until the 1970's when SAAMI transitioned from CUP to the modern piezoelectric transducer chamber pressure measurement system (PSI), that "max pressures" for the 44-40 as we know it, seamed to be a bit lower than what was actually used for nearly 60 years.

Thus by 1970, the 44-40 was neutered from 1,300fps 15,000ishCUP and 1,570fps/22,000cup (1938), all the way down to 1,190fps 12,000cup/11,000psi.
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 03-02-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have fired some of the Lyman “obsolete section “ loads( 200gr JHP/ 2000fps) from a Rossi 62SRC 44-40. I will not do that again. Besides the recoil, the front barrel band jumped loose from its retaining slot. .35 Remington power from the .44 WCF comes at a HIGH price.....
    Amen brother!!!

Even today's Lyman HV loads (Lyman's 49th pages 299 and 300) can be a bit too much for me.

My prefred load is a very mild Reloder 7, 1,350fps load plenty safe for my Uberti Winchester 73'. Even for my revolvers.

Attachment 257795

The highest pressures I have actually tested were nearly 22,000psi...well in excess of 22,000cup, probably in the 33,000cup range in the testing barrel I used. The highest I used in a firearm was a stiff load of IMR-4227 that produced 19,652psi in the test barrel, still over 22,000cup....and kicked like a mule!

I actually made me some replica boxes to keep my loads separated.

Attachment 257796

Red Label
    Reloder 7/200gr 43-214A/1,350fps/11,000psi

Yellow Label
    IMR-4227/200gr Win.JSP/1,590fps/18,000psi

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...-mainly-rifles

Targets 2-22-20-7/Winchester 73' and 2-22-20-8/Marlin 1894CB