RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35 rem

While I have no use for 742/760 and newer series of rifles I do have m14s, m141s, m8s and m81s. I also have several post war JM Marlins as new as 1970s. Although the pump 760 series rifles don't jam as a rule, they are basically the same rifles and subject to same problems.

Nice JM Marlins aren't cheap around my area. Lots of guys looking for 32s and 35s to fill collections. Marlin 336 and Savage 99s were common and cheap used until the gun companies started down the tubes in 70-80s. Rem was first to get into stampings. Win, Marlin and Sav were still milling parts. They couldn't compete and ended up under different corporations.

Today Rem is loosing market to Mossberg in the race to the bottom with shotguns and Savage back from the grave is BA rifle leader. To be honest there is not a new gun made by the major American companies I would buy for myself.

I have 2 -760 one in 35 rem I bought new in 1981 and a 30/06 I traded for.
    I saw a 760 in 35 rem. yesterday at a gun show tag said $800 and it was used the stock had been sanded and stained the metal had a poor cold blue blotchy finish. I don't think he was interested in selling it.
    I have 2 7600 both are in 270 they shoot about 2" groups, Killed a lot of deer with the older one.
    They are just another tool in relm of hunting.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    QUOTE....”Although the pump 760 series rifles don't jam as a rule, they are basically the same rifles and subject to same problems.”

The pumps have zero problems compared to the jam O matics. You obviously have never owned one. I have over 100 pretty nice whitetail racks at home from just the 30-06 pump alone from filling party tags over the decades. Never had one fail to feed or fire with any of mine or heard of anybody with issues with the pumps yet to date. I’m sure there some defective ones out there just like every firearm on the planet. But making a general blanket statement out of the clear blue is fake news Mister.

Wait I did have one problem when I was a kid with it. I cleaned it with patches down the barrel and a mystery patch went down and back of the action causing the firing pin not to fire. Was basically a blanket inside my gun. Lesson learned when I had five deer come up to me opening morning and it went click every time as I emptied my magazine. I was in my early teens at the time and boy was that a hard lesson.lol Years later I went out and shot at a deer and I had three dud shells and a roll thinking I had the same problem. I picked all the shells off the ground and they had big deep hits in the primers. I wasn’t happy with Remington arms ammo that day. Other than that I’ve never had mechanical failures on any of them.... Wait I overloaded a magazine this past year on the 35 Rem! One extra bullet in it. I shot a doe in a magazine fell out and I couldn’t figure out what was going on. I finally figured out I had an extra round in it and took it out. 10 seconds later the buck in the photo above came walking back and follow two doe that ran off after the shot and came back in to inspect what happened. Needless to say the buck went down. It took three steps or so and then fell over backwards. It was about 120 to 130 yard shot.

So the only issues I’ve had with mine and I believe most people other people have issues with them are operator error and I can admit my errors and learn from them. Most people just blame the gun and MoveOn.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-23-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    From what I could find out they made about 35000 of them.

Boolit Buddy

I love my 141 in 35 Remington Express made in 1940! It is a tack driver with RCBS 200 gr RFN GC that will shoot 5 shots @ 100 yards 1" group all day! Slick as snot and truly a classic!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

The 742 - 760 were designed to be family guns and share a lot of parts. Dump the guts out of actions and take a look at what you have. The barrels forward is where difference is. Pump has a dummy stem the slide runs on and 742 has gas operation system.

Boolit Master
    The problem with the autos is the speed at which the bolt operates and the torque applied to the guide rails machines into the frame. Seems it was designed as a pump with the much lesser cycling forces due to manual operation. I am a serious pump gun shooter, I cycle like I mean it, but come no where close to pounding it like a gas gun cycles. The autos have a pretty short life before the guiderails are worn out of spec, the pumps last dang near forever. Wouldn’t give 50$ for a 742 but own several 760s. Like them, but they are not in the class of the 14/141 rifles!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I will say that a 760 will probaly last a once a year deer hunter a life time. They don't have jam problem and I've found a little more accurate than 742. I saw 742s in 60s that didn't make it through 2 boxes of Ammo. Accuracy in general was lousy, but good enough to kill deer in woods.
    Remington 1100 and 870 smooth bore slug guns with Foster slugs are good for the same degree of accuracy at 100yds. Bases on dozens of guns not just one. There is always cherries and lemons in assembly line products.
    I don't care how much a gun cost or how fancy it is. If it don't function or shoot well it's going down the road. I don't get upset if another has one they like and don't take it as a personal insult.
    I admit I'm a gun snob.

Boolit Master
    One of my wifes relatives husband had one of the jam-o-matics in 30-06. I watched him at the range one day out of three magazines had exactly one complete full cycle feed,fire and eject. Then there was a guy at the range who had just bought a used one again in 30-06. fired off a box of ammo and surprisingly it worked. Problem was groups looked like shotgun patterns. 3-4 of us tried it also. Same result. Took it back where he bought it targets and all. Frank

There is a local LGS near me that has a older model 760 in 35 Rem. On the rack for $ 299.00.
    It is well used and has been D&T for a side mounted scope mount and has a Bushnell scope on it.
    I see them in 35 Rem. quite often and the usually range from $ 275 - $ 400.

Jedman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12