Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: question for dot sight users

Boolit Master

question for dot sight users

How do you know if you are canting the rifle when using a dot sight ?

there is no horizontal line like in a scope just a dot

Boolit Buddy
    The distances I shoot a dot sight at rifle canting doesn't really matter. Out to a couple hundred yards a little canting doesn't matter a whole lot unless your trying to shoot one hole groups and if you can do that with a dot sight your a way better shot then I am.
    Do you generally have a problem with canting your rifle? I've never found canting an issue for myself, when the butt pad hits my shoulder the cross hairs in a scope are horizontal.

Boolit Master
    you are correct on this

no I shoot to about 3 hundred yards max. mostly 2

has for group they stay around 4 to 5 inches at 2

love my Aimpoint

The dot sight sits on top of the handgun. If it is not straight up it is obvious.

Boolit Grand Master

With the EoTech mounted it's easy as both eyes are open so vertical hold is easy to tell the same as with the use of iron sights, just like on the handgun also. Additionally the Eotech reticle has a circle around the dot with hash marks at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Never had a problem canting the rifle unless I wanted to.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    punch in this link
    a interesting video Aimpoint

Aimpoint Training Tip: Avoiding Cant 4k

The sight I use has 4 different reticles in either green or red and yes, it is a cheap throw-away sight but they do hold zero!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Dot.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	256740

Boolit Master

I shoot a pistol with an ultradot. With my natural hold I have a lot of cant. If you keep your grip and body mechanics the same from shot to shot you should be able to shoot tight groups BUT when you adjust your sights there will be a windage and elevation change for different distances.

Boolit Master
    to mount it I use the vertical line traced with a level on a target and crank up the elevation to see if it tracks the line

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    The sight I use has 4 different reticles in either green or red and yes, it is a cheap throw-away sight but they do hold zero!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Dot.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	256740
    What he said, they hold their zero . . . That is if the 'lens' is properly secured. I had 2 that the lens shifted upon firing. Talk about frustrating! Once I figured that out, I seated/sealed the lenses on all of the similar open reflex sights with super glue gel. Done, fixed, and accurate after sight in. I do have an Eotech, a gift, wow. It is heavy but then again so is the SIG 716 Patrol Rifle (AR10) I had scored so my brother felt I needed an Eotech for.

Still, the cheap open reflex sights get the job done, that is unless you can't see the reticle due to colored shooting glasses. I even bought a closed (tube design) reflex sight to try because it was 20 bucks. It works, even on a 308 Scout Rifle with a rail. The plan is to actually leave it on a Marlin Camp 9 just to raise the site line as the buckhorn sights are low and hard to acquire with a proper cheek weld.

THose cheap open reflex sights were all made by the same company, whether the have a name branded on them or some generic name. Who cares if they work? Tin cans at 100 yards off hand all day long is my standard. I hate tin cans.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    What he said, they hold their zero . . . That is if the 'lens' is properly secured. I had 2 that the lens shifted upon firing. Talk about frustrating! Once I figured that out, I seated/sealed the lenses on all of the similar open reflex sights with super glue gel. Done, fixed, and accurate after sight in. I do have an Eotech, a gift, wow. It is heavy but then again so is the SIG 716 Patrol Rifle (AR10) I had scored so my brother felt I needed an Eotech for.

Still, the cheap open reflex sights get the job done, that is unless you can't see the reticle due to colored shooting glasses. I even bought a closed (tube design) reflex sight to try because it was 20 bucks. It works, even on a 308 Scout Rifle with a rail. The plan is to actually leave it on a Marlin Camp 9 just to raise the site line as the buckhorn sights are low and hard to acquire with a proper cheek weld.

THose cheap open reflex sights were all made by the same company, whether the have a name branded on them or some generic name. Who cares if they work? Tin cans at 100 yards off hand all day long is my standard. I hate tin cans.
    I have a heavy and expensive EO too but I just cannot bring myself to bring it to competitions and I actually like the minimalist size of the throwaway sites better. I do like your "FIX", fcvan, I sent a few back to be replaced as I went through a half dozen looking for a few that would hold together.

My SSP-91 in 7mm-08 is a good test bed for durability, the lens pops right out first shot if not glued in well.

Boolit Master
    buy Aimpoint. they just don't break
    I have a Aimpoint T2 on my 450 Rigby and no problem after hundreds of shot
    full and reduced load

Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570 View Post
    buy Aimpoint. they just don't break
    I have a Aimpoint T2 on my 450 Rigby and no problem after hundreds of shot
    full and reduced load
    Canuck, do they make a minimalist refelx sight? I had an Aimpoint 1000 and I hated it and never looked back. The Aimpoint ACRO P-1 looks to be running the same as my EO, I just can't throw that much money in a 55 gallon drum for competition!

Boolit Master
    go on their web site you will have everything you want to know
    https://www.aimpoint.com/

if you are looking for something small look at the micro
    I have the micro T2 military model

Boolit Master

Bottom line is 99% of distances where a red dot is used will not see an appreciable difference.

Have t ya seen them mounted at a 45 angle on MSR setups?

If it really bothers ya, you have a dot with a tube 1” or 30mm or a pic rail, levels are available.

I use them on a couple rifles out to 200 with zero problems. Even on a REG OPTIC, Not a huge difference inside 100 with a lil cant. BUT know that the higher your optic is off the barrel the GREATER the cantered effect will be.
    I’m a firm believer in levels on rifles I’ll shoot at any range past 100 yards. I don’t bother with them if the gun won’t see regular use last that.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    at 300 yards a one gallon empty paint is no problem

I was asking of the canting just to see if any body had problem with that
    at the beginning I had problem hunt-ill I program myself to shoot both eyes open
    that is when you start enjoying the dot site

This is the sight I have, one has AIM on the side, another CVlife and this one. They are the same and they shoot straight unless the lens falls out...

I was able to hit a Yote at 75 yards last weekend with a throw-away red dot using the 350LGD, sporting a 200gr RFP and it hit where I aimed.