Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt action in 223 Remington - which one?

Boolit Master
    Do you have to have a .223? Lots of classic old .222's on the market, my 600 Rem is about the most accurate rifle I have.

Boolit Buddy
    Not a bolt action but my Henry single shot is a tack driver and a pretty good looking rifle for the money.

Boolit Grand Master
    As you can see, it doesn't matter much. Almost any manufacturer turns out an accurate rifle. Handle a few and see what suits you and your needs. I have both the Howa Mini-Mauser and a Ruger M77 (as well as 4 AR's) and prefer the Howa as it is lighter but that is not much of an advantage (actually a disadvantage) if you will be using it from the bench most of the time.

As I stated in the other thread, I do not shoot cast so that is something to consider if you are going down that road. Slower twist will help. I think the Savage rifles are the easiest to rebarrel if you want a cast shooter. I had a .222 and it is accurate but brass is more expensive ($162/500 for Starline). It can be made from .223 but I would not do it for safety reasons. .222 might be a better cast shooter.
    Don Verna

USMC 77, USRA 79

I run the savage axis and like it fine... i am using it this morning to go out and hunt beavers.. i shoot the little Lee Bator Boolit and the savage likes them. it has a plastic stock but I dont care much about that.. it works well in the heavy salty rainforest....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Several years ago, my Son won a new .223 Savage Axis factory package gun w/scope @ a game dinner raffle ($20).

We've both shot it, and he uses it when he doesn't need a larger chambering for hunting - and loves it to death.

Even though it has a camo-pattern (Realtree) plastic stock and a crappy scope it was shooting barely under an inch @ 100yds with commercial ammo when I shot it (neither of us handloads anymore).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased an Axis that was on a closeout. I don't know what the difference is between the Axis and the Axis2, but am well satisfied with cost vs. quality and the accuracy. To me, there is nothing that really stands out. It is a well built piece. There are no frills if you are into that kind of rifle. The scope is acceptable, though it would probably not have been my first choice in glass. The stock falls into the same category. It is utilitarian and works well, but again, is not fancy. This was a very inexpensive gun with good accuracy. As was mentioned in another post, I'm using 322 powder with a 55 grain Hornady from the bulk box. I will try at some point to use heavier and better, but these seem to work reasonably well.
    The rifle is nothing fancy, but gives a lot of value for the money spent.

Boolit Buddy

I purchased the Ruger American Predator a few weeks ago because I wanted to still have a rifle in .223 that wasn't an MSR. it was 505.00 out the door and I think after the first 100 rounds I have through it that it was a good purchase. It shoots great little recoil and is a comfortable rifle. I will say the magazine is something that takes a little getting used to. I didn't expect it to be there since most bolt actions I have are smooth across the bottom. Not a bad thing just something I didn't expect.
    I plan on buying a few more calibers in this rifle.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Buddy
    Nearly all rifles these days have very good potential for accuracy.I would be more picky on making sure you get a proper twist for your planned usage,and I personally would not consider under 22".You mentioned a bipod,and keep in mind that some of the budget rifles stocks are flimsy ,and a bipod can affect harmonics.Unless you get a super good deal on a bare bones budget gun,it is probably best to buy a more expensive rifle now than upgrade trigger,and stock down the road.I would say the Axis hardwood with accu trigger would be a good option.I have a standard old Axis 223,that I did the home trigger job on,and it suits my needs as a cheap utility rife.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    CZ 527 in any of it's various configurations. With the exception of one or two models, BLUE STEEL and WALNUT WOOD plus a very nice trigger. All my 527 LUXs are very accurate.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

I have a Howa 1500 .223 with a 1-12 twist for varmint weight bullets. It's a great shooting bolt action.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190924_202430.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	256752
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you get one of the flimsy stock rifles, I saw where a fellow epoxied in a steel bar in the fore-end and that stiffened it up very well. Cheap to do and effective. I good plan if you are mounting a bipod.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    CZ 527 in any of it's various configurations. With the exception of one or two models, BLUE STEEL and WALNUT WOOD plus a very nice trigger. All my 527 LUXs are very accurate.
    I shoot with a friend who has a .223 CZ and it is scary accurate. If they ever made a bad shooting CZ, I have yet to see one. Mine is a stainless synthetic Ruger 77 MkII and it shoots 7/8"-1" on a regular basis with a 3x9 scope and 50 gr Nosler Ballistic tips and TAC powder with Federal primers. My rifle has a 1-12" twist but if I were you I would look at how heavy(long) of a boolit/bullet I wanted to use and then buy something with a tighter twist. The 69 gr bullets and heavier normally shoot a lot better with 1-8" twist rates. Good choice of calibers btw. Military brass in this caliber weighs in the range of commercial brass in every single piece I have weighed and that is a rarity for military brass. It has just about became the 30-06 of 22 calibers. You can darned near buy ammo at a drug store for the thing! Buy a RCBS primer crimp remover and you will be glad you did. What ever you decide on, let us know and good luck.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I’d look to the used market if possible. Plenty to choose from. If you’re wanting to tinker, a Remmy 700 is pretty ubiquitous.

Banned

The first gun I bought, really bought from a gun store on my own without my Dad, was a Savage 110, plain jane birch stock, blind mag in 1988 from Murf's guns in Duncan, Oklahoma. Darn thing is very, very accurate with anything I handload for it and I haven't done a thing to it except put a better scope on it than it had when I bought it. It's a big, ungainly rifle for what it is (one action length on Savage 110s then). It's one I'll have til I die.

A few years ago, I got intrigued by the Mossberg Patrol Rifle, but never could seem to find one so settled on the MVP Predator with the laminated stock and uses AR mags. So far, I haven't gotten it to shoot as well as the Savage, but it's a handier rifle and I like the whole concept of it. It shoots pretty well, certainly good enough for most hunting, I need to really devote the time and energy towards developing a good load for it.

Boolit Master
    I've got both the American Ranch in 5.56 (223), and the Predator in 223. The Ranch is my walking varmint rifle. The longer barrel Predator is used for when I hunt from a blind. Both shooting 60 gr V-Max bullets. Both are reliable and accurate.

Boolit Buddy
    l have a couple 700 Varmints in 223... Used exclusively for shooting prairie dogs or in target practice FOR prairie dogs. l shoot 40gr Poly tips that are VMAX from Hornady or Sierra Blitzkings. l prefer 40grs because they are much FASTER than the heavier 50+gr.. l am also exposed to quite a few IHMSA shooters that cast for their single shot unlimited guns(14'' MAX barrel length). A couple shoot 223s with cast boolits in XP bolt guns or TC Contenders. Max range in our game is 220yds or 200 Meters.. These 223s shooting cast have OOMPH to knock down a 200Meter 55lb RAM. Also sufficient accuracy to take on the Half Scale targets @ 200meters too.

Boolit Master
    First what is the rifle to be used for?

A larger heavier rifle with fine trigger and accuracy? Or, a walking rifle?

Walking rifles should have good triggers and be accurate but with improvised rests you are not as likely to chase bullet holes like with a bench or prairie dog gun.

My favorite walking rifle on the ranch (gets banged around but not abused) is a now discontinued Ruger American Compact in 223. The compact is still made but not in the 223.

My best of type is my CZ527 American in 223, my most accurate being the same but in 204 but that is not what this thread is about.

With my Savages, I swap them over to 204 or 22-250 or larger cartridges for longer range work to maximize their capability.

As others have pointed out, the CZ’s are very nice and the set trigger is a good attribute, some do not like it but I am a big fan of them (set trigger).

The Tikka rifle is a very good one (perhaps I will get one someday).

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    CZ 527 in its various configurations. Pick the one that is most fitting to your needs.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'm currently using a CZ and a Savage Axis , of the two the Savage needed a Boyd's laminate stock before it would shoot consistent . The CZ needed nothing and worked great right out of the box . I had a Remington Varmint Special that was excellent and would still have it if my pal hadn't been in dire need of a woodchuck rifle .

Thinking aloud of the Savage stock , it could have been fixed if I put gobs of steel bed into it to stiffen it up . I had a Stevens model 200 that had the same problem and the steel bed helped it a great deal .

It depends on what you want but the least trouble has been with the CZ and a forty year old Remington . But it's up to you , pay your money and pick your fun......... by the way , if you aren't invested in the dies for the .223 . The .222 Remington is an excellent choice and the rifles from "back then" are probably a great start , Remington knew what they were doing then .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    For walk about 223, I have a Contender with a 21" barrel that is very light and plenty accurate for walk about type hunting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast