RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smelting pot question

The place I get my propane tanks filled had old tanks setting around. I asked about getting one to cut up. They said sure and even pulled the valve for me. Didn't even charge me for it.
    Once home I flushed it with the water hose a couple times then set it up side down to drain. Propane is heavier than air so it drains out.
    After a few days I cut it off with the cutoff wheels I use on my 4.5 inch angle grinder. One of the best tools I ever bought.
    I had the propane burner I got years ago for family cook outs to fry fish, cook corn on the cob and such stuff.
    Part of what I cut of the top I plan on getting welded around the bottom so it has a larger foot print to be more stable on the burner.
    Need to finish that up I guess.
    Leo

I cut up a 30lber for a wood stove. Rinsed it a couple times, then filled with water to the weld, passed a torch over the hole where the valve was. burning off the remaining gas, witch jetted out the hole, then cut off with plasma cutter or cut off wheels. If your in a hurry this works

Boolit Master
    I have TIC welded cast iron many times, so if you just want it stuck together I can do that. However, if you want it not to leak that's another story. Problem is cast iron has a lot of impurities that contaminate the weld creating small holes and voids.

I would suggest cutting the top off a discarded propane tank. I did this one about 8 years ago and it has melted down hundreds of pounds of range scrap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1519_1.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	256962

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12