RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer And Nipple Not Lined Up

Hello hylander,

After looking again I agree with Indian Joe.
    Try putting a 6mm bolt into the nipple hole & see if you can turn the drum back a little.
    It looks like it should line up. Then you can decide if you need a shim under it.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Turning the drum would be the best solution, but as KCSO says, they have weird breeching. Heat and bend will probably be the best solution. It would take a lot of trial and error to get it hitting flat.
    Another thing, you should put a V cut in the front of the hammer. Directs gases and fragments away from the shooter, and helps split the cap to make removal easier.
    I have had a few of these apart - plenty of lattitude inside to turn the drum a few degrees and not interfere with anything - the (internal) hole in the front of the threaded section of the drum is way smaller than bore diameter. like bob208 says this really aint rocket science - if the drum is not firm (unlikely) when its turned back to correct position - then take it out and use some loctite - while you have it out enlarge and polish that hole into the drum body to let the powder enter better
    CVA's can be a headache with FFg powder - it bridges across that hole and you get a fail to fire - hangfire - unreliable ignition - easy fix is when loading give old betsy a few smart smacks in the chops with open hand to settle the powder charge into the nipple drum channel - its a good habit to get into with any muzzle loader really .

I wouldn't touch that hammer, since ( as noted above) it's centrally inline with the nipple.

Hammers can be bent to correct a side-to-side alignment, but it's quite another thing to extend the hammer's reach.

Turn the drum slightly counter-clockwise a tad - if it results in a loose nipple, R&R it after adding a very thin washer shim betwixt the drum & the barrel.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    All Done, lines up great now.
    Will take it out Tuesday to see how it shoots.
    Cleaned up the original drum, cleaned up nicely.
    Had to take a few thousandths off of the shoulder of the drum.
    I marked the center of the hole and it is still lined up well.
    It was way over tightened the first time, gorilla bob must have installed it.

Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master

Notice now how the side of the nipple base is parallel to the cut out on the stock, a much more professional look than before. Plus it looks like the cap will get a much more direct flatter hit from hammer. Better ignition and the solid even hit will help the nipple to last longer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12