Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer And Nipple Not Lined Up

Boolit Master

Hammer And Nipple Not Lined Up

CVA Mountain Rifle:
    I am thinking I will have to heat and bend the hammer out a touch.
    But, do you think the hammer can take the heat and bend, or break?
    I can not remove the hammer from the lock, it is on there to stay.

Failure is not an Option

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    If you get it hot enough it will get soft enough.
    More importantly if you do not remove the hammer how will you shield the rest of the lock?
    I have a CVA Mtn Flinter that has had the hammer heated and reshaped so it is possible. No I did not do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a barrel off of EBAY and t looked just about identical to that situation, so I just took a Dremmel and "modified" the inner opening of the hammer enough to just miss the cap when closing and it worked out great It was only a small amount and would not hurt it if I went back to the origin barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    I bought a barrel off of EBAY and t looked just about identical to that situation, so I just took a Dremmel and "modified" the inner opening of the hammer enough to just miss the cap when closing and it worked out great It was only a small amount and would not hurt it if I went back to the origin barrel.
    Good idea

Boolit Master
    Have you tried firing a cap to see if it works as is?

Boolit Master
    It should work as shown ,one of mine does. But you should get the hammer off just for 100%cleaning purposes

Hello hylander,

The drum doesn't seem to be setting correctly into lock either. Is this a Kit Gun?
    If you have a different hammer, compare how it's shaped.
    The Hammer must be removed. Remove lock, loosen the screw maybe a turn or two and tap it with a hard rubber mallet while holding the hammer. Also try prying between the lock plate & hammer.
    Don't try bending hammer without heat, I would guess glowing red heat.
    Worst case you might have to profile hammer face to the nipple to get it squared up.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    CVA Mountain Rifle:
    I am thinking I will have to heat and bend the hammer out a touch.
    But, do you think the hammer can take the heat and bend, or break?
    I can not remove the hammer from the lock, it is on there to stay.

Look at that again! the nipple is right on centre line of the hammer strike side to side - I bet someone has had the drum out of that rifle and turned it in a touch too far so the nipple drum needs turned a little to the rear so they meet more square - the nipple also looks too tall to me
    I advise strongly against applying an oxy torch to the hammer - they are a cast steel - no telling if it will stand red heat or not .

I agree with Indian Joe- the drum is a hair too tight. Loosen it a red hair and all should be well.

Boolit Master
    I had that problem with a CVA Hawken. The previous owner had tightened the drum too far and turning it back to it's proper position caused the drum to be loose. Ended up heating the hammer to cherry red with a oxy acetylene torch and moved it just enough to get it right. Kind of tricky to do but it worked. Finding the right place on the "S" curve to heat the hammer was the hard part. I used a socket that fit over the round head of the hammer with an extension to get leverage for the bending, whacking it with a hammer when hot gave some unexpected results that made the job a lot longer than expected. Only had to move it a fraction of an inch like your's.
    If I had that rifle I would shorten the nipple and grind out the face of the hammer for a proper hit, it doesn't need much, heating and bending the hammer would be my last resort but would give a better looking end result if it doesn't break. Luck with it

Boolit Grand Master

Yes you can get it off you just need to know how. You will need a punch small enough to fit in the #6 hole for the hamer screw and a punch block and a couple spacers. Disassemble the lock and don't lose the fly. Take out the hammer screw and support the lock plate on the spacers and tap out the tumbler.

Then you can heat the hammer enough to bend it. Heat with a Mapp gass torch and use a rod in a vise and put the bend of the hammer over the rod and tap it to spread it after it is red hot. Hold it with vise grips. Put it in wood ask to cool and do not quench it.

Do NOT try and turn the drum as it has an integral flash hole and it wont line up right if you turn it and you will have to turn it looser, not good.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks to me like it would fire as is. I'd leave it the way it is as long as it fires reliably.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I would pull the drum and make a .002-.003 washer from steel shim stock and re install. this should move the nipple about 1 hour back and keep everything tight. Blue or brown the washer to match install with light coat of grease on threads and washer. Hard to tell for sure in pic but it looks like the cap isnt flat or parallel to hammer face either indicting its clocking to far forward in its timing.

The hammer can be bent but with the heat needed several things are needed. 1) the hammer has to come off. Otherwise the lock plate will be discolored and possibly warped, the springs will be annealed to a softer state. 2) a small holding fixture needs to be made to locate hammer and hold it flat and in line with a mark to where the nose needs to be. DOnt be surprised if this takes a couple trys as the hammer may "walk" back as it cools.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Turning the drum would be the best solution, but as KCSO says, they have weird breeching. Heat and bend will probably be the best solution. It would take a lot of trial and error to get it hitting flat.
    Another thing, you should put a V cut in the front of the hammer. Directs gases and fragments away from the shooter, and helps split the cap to make removal easier.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm with country gent. If you can, move the drum. They are usually rusted tight. Even so I have moved three of them. All were rusted and eventually gave it up with Kroil . If you go this route and mess up the drum ,Track of the Wolf has replacements. Good price too.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Grand Master
    Heating & bending cast is a tricky thing. Many things can go wrong in a hurry. Back out the drum and shim it to the correct indexing. You've got a simple problem and bending the hammer is a complicated solution.

Boolit Master
    I have bent a few TC hammers in the past.
    I made a miniature Hickey bar like we use to bend rebar to bend them and put the pressure just where you need it.
    But on a TC you don't have the option of rotating or shimming the drum.
    So your options are limited.
    Work with your drum first if you can.
    Then last option would be to bend the hammer.

Boolit Master
    drum is too tight as stated above. back it off till it lines up. if too lose take it out put some lock tight on threads screw back in till it is lined up. this is not rocket science.

Boolit Master
    It appears to me its previous owner filed the hammers cup flat so to gain some hammer reliability. Usually hammers are heat bent to accommodate scope usage. In this situation a ever-so-slight twist of the Drum may prove to be a easier solution. (per waksupi)

A friend of mine removed the hammer on a Cabela's sidelock haven been scoped by its previous owner. It was a saturday afternoon challenge to get it centered and flat hitting {as I was told.}

Boolit Master
    Maybe just me, nipple looks replaced, what about a shorter nipple?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast