Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Put the new P365 through it's paces today.

Boolit Master

Put the new P365 through it's paces today.

This is a great little pistol! Amazing, really. I have been following the fanfare of these little pistols since their introduction a couple of years ago and held off on getting one until the teething problems got sorted out. They have been.

I bought the TacPac model, which came with a manual safety, factory Sig holster, and three 12-round magazines.

I brought it home from the dealer and proceeded to strip it down and clean and re-lube it. There were reports of issues with grit and excessive assembly grease causing issues with the striker operation. My gun arrived with the cleanest insides I have ever seen. Nothing but light oil. Not even a single metal shaving or piece of grit anywhere.

Got it back together and tested the trigger pull. Just over 6 lbs, but very crisp and a short pull. Felt much lighter than it was.

I then installed a Hogue slip-on grip since it was just a little thin for me. With the grip installed, it feels amazingly good.

Attachment 256694

Took it to the range today and stupidly forgot most of my 9mm reloads. I still had a box of two different reloads and tried them out. The first box did 6.25" at 25 yards. That was using RMR 124gr bullets and 5.5 grains of Ramshot Silhouette.

Attachment 256695

The second load was using Hornady XTP in 147gr with 5.0 grains of Ramshot Silhouette. That resulted in a 2" at 25yd 5-shot group. That meets my criteria for a carry pistol, so it's good to go. I have a few other loads for the 9mm using Speer Gold Dots that I didn't have with me, so the next time will have to try them out. I also fired a few other types of factory FMJ ammo and they all did around 3" to 4".

Fired maybe around 150 rounds doing accuracy testing and drills. Not a single issue and the gun had much less recoil than I had anticipated.

The only issues I have with the pistol is the size and the safety. It's so small that drawing it quickly from concealment is difficult. The holsters I tried today were both very comfortable and very good at making the pistol disappear. But they also make it difficult to draw quickly.

The safety is very stiff and positioned too far back for me to swipe it with my thumb without changing my grip while drawing and bringing the weapon up. On my M&P40c, the safety is larger and easier to manipulate.

Overall, it's an impressive little pistol that performs like a larger gun.

Compared to my former carry guns; M&P40c on the left and XDS 40 on the right...

Attachment 256697
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

A buddy recently brought his P365 out to the house to shoot. I really liked it and it shot very well easily keeping an entire magazine in the head of my steel torso target at 25 yds. Things I wish SIG would look at-

I get that EVERYBODY these days obsesses over magazine capacity, but the P365 would be much more easily concealed if a single stack version were available.

The magazines were ridiculously difficult to load as the springs were super heavy.

Other than that, I really, really like this pistol and am glad you like yours!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Since I have seen these kinds of statements before I thought I'd ask the questions here.

This SIG and the Hellcat are both designed to be as small as possible with a 10+ rnd capacity.

At some point, a pistol becomes so small that getting a grip on it is more difficult, which means it is more difficult to draw and fire. So, do you accept the smaller size to conceal it and give up the ease of draw of a slightly larger pistol?

Why buy such a small pistol and then make the grip thicker for ease of handling/shooting? Why not just buy/use a pistol that comes with a bigger grip?

I ask because I have contemplated buying a smaller pistol for CCW (smaller) and field carry (lighter). My PPK is currently the smallest pistol I use. The issues above are on my mind as I consider a slightly higher capacity 9mm for CCW and field use.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had a P365 since they first came out and carry it daily. I’ve not had a single problem with it and I usually put at least 20 rounds a week through it. A Maglula sure comes in handy for loading those mags though. It points very well for me and I shoot it much better than my Glock 19. I carry in my pocket with the 10 round mag or OWB in a Hume belt slide with the 12 round mag.

Boolit Master

Handled the 365 and the Hellcat at a gunshow this past weekend. The 365 felt the best in hand to me. Both felt better than the Ruger EC9. I like the extra width in the grip. I hope the good reports continue.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Since I have seen these kinds of statements before I thought I'd ask the questions here.

This SIG and the Hellcat are both designed to be as small as possible with a 10+ rnd capacity.

At some point, a pistol becomes so small that getting a grip on it is more difficult, which means it is more difficult to draw and fire. So, do you accept the smaller size to conceal it and give up the ease of draw of a slightly larger pistol?

Why buy such a small pistol and then make the grip thicker for ease of handling/shooting? Why not just buy/use a pistol that comes with a bigger grip?

I ask because I have contemplated buying a smaller pistol for CCW (smaller) and field carry (lighter). My PPK is currently the smallest pistol I use. The issues above are on my mind as I consider a slightly higher capacity 9mm for CCW and field use.
    After the events of the last couple of years I decided I MUST carry whenever and wherever legal. My daily attire includes a button down shirt that is tucked in, making it impossible to conceal a handgun in a holster. So when I went looking for a 9mm to fill this role, it had to be as thin and as light as possible so I could carry it in my front pants pocket.
    I looked at the Ruger EC9, the Taurus G2S and the Keltec PF-9. The PF-9, although probably the lowest quality of the three, pretty much fit the bill. It definitely straddles the fine line of practicality and shootability. But with diligent practice I find good to 25 yds.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I own several 9 mm pistols, ranging in size from full to the micro compacts. I also carry everyday..........sunrise to sunset. Only two that I would use for EDC, are the Beretta Nano or the Kahr CM-9, both single stacks............sans exposed hammer or manual safeties............anything wider is subject to printing.

I like love my Sig 320 Compact and my XD Model 2, however both are too bulky and heavy to carry, all day long. Full double stack magazines add considerable weight to any/all of them. I'm sure both the 365 and Hellcat are well built pistols, filling a niche that really doesn't exist.

Most social encounters/threats occur at less than 10 yards............so I don't understand why 25 yard accuracy is that big of a deal. Best of luck, explaining to the prosecutor, why you felt threatened at that distance. Same goes for high capacity magazines, you might get away with two shots(double tap) but anymore would literally be overkill. Personally, I don't even carry a extra magazine, when I carry a nine.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I carried a CM9 for 5 years prior to getting my 365. Actually use the same pocket holster for the 365 that I used for the Kahr. I carry an extra mag mainly in case of a function failure. I like having twice the ammo in a similar sized firearm. Never heard of anyone complaining about having too much ammo in an armed encounter

Banned

the p365 is a nice pistol. got to handle and shoot one a few weeks ago.

the task of figuring out what handgun for CCW will always be personal. there are lots of considerations - cartridge, round capacity, size, weight ... and, will it shoot "well" for its owner (or rather, will its owner be able to shoot it "well")? it will almost always come down to a comprise of those 5 attributes. here's hoping we all choose well and wisely.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Best of luck, explaining to the prosecutor, why you felt threatened at that distance. Same goes for high capacity magazines, you might get away with two shots(double tap) but anymore would literally be overkill. Personally, I don't even carry a extra magazine, when I carry a nine.

Winelover
    Have you actually thought about how incredibly ignorant and bereft of common sense your statement was?

Do you really think that anyone that is being shot at from 75' away is not being threatened?

The man in the church shooting in Texas was 17 yards from the gunman. Is that too far away in your completely irrational mind?

Never mind responding, because what you said was so incredibly dumb, that I have put you on ignore. No good can possibly come of anything you have to say about anything. My God, how do some people function with such little reasoning skill??
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Some of you need to take CC class and pay attention. Your first duty is to retreat, not go on the offensive.

Winelover

Moderator Emeritus

Reminder - This isn't the Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Some of you need to take CC class and pay attention. Your first duty is to retreat, not go on the offensive.

Winelover
    Surely you realize that different states have different statutes, don't you? Texas laws err on the side of those defending themselves (I learned that in my very first CC class). My first duty is NOT to retreat, and defending ones self is not "going on the offensive".

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    You might think that until the civil suit gets filed.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I've been carrying the P365 for the last couple of days in different situations/modes and practicing drawing and disengaging the safety and it is getting better. Sig tolerances are different than Glocks, lol.

Still amazed at how easily it will slip into a jacket pocket or pants pocket for a quick trip to the store.

Transitioning to a new carry gun is always challenging, but enjoyable. I have four days off this week after four days of 12-hour shifts on graveyard, so will have more time to put rounds down range and get my muscle memory set.

Boolit Master
    Mine doesn’t have the safety so I don’t know if I’d like that. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever owned a striker fired gun with a manual safety.

Boolit Master
    I have been carrying my fairly new 365XL I bought in November. I love the little gun and I'm happy with the slight extra size to the XL. I put about 500rds (no cleaning the whole time) through it shooting USPSA matches before carrying it. Tried a ton of different bullet weights and profiles including a good selection of defense HP's. Not a single hiccup! I love the Flat trigger and factory night sights of the XL. Stripping it for cleaning is super easy too. I love the rear pin design thats not a friction fit and how easy the whole fire control pack comes out! So easy to clean! Its a nice shooter and pretty accurate too!

I pocket carry it in Sticky holster. Its on the upper end of pocketable but it works.

Can't wait for my Holosun 507K to show up. I preordered one soon as I could have! Really looking forward to slapping a dot on this puppy!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

I need to look at one of these......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek