RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into keeping my Mosin...

Boolit Master

Talk me into keeping my Mosin...

Bought it 10ish years ago for $120 along with 2 spam cans of corrosive ammo ($75 each?). Also have the sling, bayonet, ammo pouches, and oil can. Trigger is horrible, it shoots way to the left (never tried with the bayonet on), and I don't have any .312+ molds/sizing dies, or 7.62x54r dies.

Picked up an 03A3 that has a wonderful trigger, shoots straight, and I have .309 molds, gas checks, sizing die, and loading dies.

Given the run up in Mosin prices, I was thinking about sending it down the road to buy more powder, primers, and gas checks to feed the 03.

Any reason to keep it?
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 02-12-2020 at 03:53 PM.

No. You'll put your eye out kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I used to own a Mosin and I wished I kept it, i enjoy history, I enjoy looking at different firearm design and seeing how different engineers worked to solve the same problems through different means. People do Mosin shooting matches out west here, and there a charm to these old rifles that I wish new rifles had. Sure, there are better rifles out there. That 1903 is a good example.

But I think keeping or selling a rifle is a highly person decision, and the reasons you might keep or sell a gun, are going to be different then my reasons.

For me, you’ll always be short powder and primers, comes with shooting. You own a firearm as long as you have it. Take care of it, and you’ll be passing it down to your kids.

Do what you will, but that’s my thoughts.

Jay Andrew
    www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Master

Unload it if it won't shoot the way you want it to. I see them priced at $300/ $400 at the gun store, ( not Cabelas ).
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Sell it and the ammo, and for another $100 you might luck onto a decent Finnish M-39. They are quite a nice rifle.

Boolit Master
    I've never owned a Mosin, and probably never will, but if a gun, any gun, ever comes home with me, it never leaves.

Boolit Buddy
    Never sell guns.

Ever!

Personally, I’d kick that Bolshevik and it’s ammo down the road and never miss it. With all due respect, of course.

Vendor Sponsor
    I like my mosin. Yes the trigger is God awful, yes the sights are a bit “off” but the thing is a blast to shoot. I bought mine back when they were cheap because I could and it has mostly sat in the safe until recently. I put about 60 rounds through it a couple weekends ago and just about have my eye dialed in to how it shoots now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    From what I’ve learned there is a tremendous difference in the quality of surplus Mosins. Everything from shot out barrels, pool quality control when made and poor maintenance and storage. There are good ones out there too. The condition of the one you have could greatly effect the price you can get for it. All the accessories are a plus.

An 03A3 is a great gun. More modern than the Mosin for sure. You can always find ammo for it. I surely take the 03A3 over the Mosin. I may be prejudice, because I grew up with one, my father’s and now my sons.

Bottom line if you can get a good price, sell the Mosin.

Boolit Bub
    I tend to be a bit of a buff when it comes to the history of them. If it was something that wasn't a common war-time, refurbished Mosin I would have a hard time getting rid of it, as they are a bit more unique. If it's a run of the mill Mosin, it's a bit harder to argue.

I have a '36 Tula that's unrefurbished and original matching numbers. Not something I plan on getting rid of, but it also shoots well with the surplus ammo I have.

Boolit Bub
    when you're unhappy with the performance, and you can make $$ on it, move it along

I had a m44 and a 91/30, I sold them with a spam can as a package deal recently, probably quadrupled my original investment. I just didn't soot them, and didn't really want to load for them. In short, i had no use for them and down the road they went. Nice to have one less caliber/diameter in the stable.

Super Moderator

I bought mine for $69.95 way back in the day. Despite having a horrible trigger, mine is a fantastic cast boolit shooter. I bought several molds specifically for it, and I size all my boolits to .314. The front sight is drift adjustable for windage by the way. I pondered selling it a while back, but my wife wasn't having it. She saw a show on TV where guys were hunting Polar Bears with one, and she calls it the "Polar Bear Gun". The only reason not to keep it is if you truly hate it, and don't want to invest any further in it. I really like mine, I think it's a really fun gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Different strokes for different folks,but I never understood the love of the Mosin Nagant.

Boolit Master
    No no send it my way!
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

ill give ya $5 for the gun and ammo. that way its out of your way.

Banned
    I might be inclined to hold onto that rifle if it was an all original and un-molested example. Even then, I'm not sure.

The Mosin-Nagant is a great "truck gun" but even then, it needs to shoot straight. It sounds like the one the OP has may not be accurate.
    They are incredibly tough rifles but not very refined.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Any reason to keep it?
    Eh, not really. IMO, they were only ever popular because they were cheap, not because they're anything special.

You can fix the sights with a Smith Sights replacement front and an Elby Range Buddy pusher, but you'll have spent close to $100 and it'll still be a crude rifle designed for illiterate peasants.

If it doesn't bring you joy, sell it and use the money for something else.
    Last edited by kerplode; 02-12-2020 at 09:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you aren't happy with it move it on. Life's too short to deal with a problem rifle unless you want to keep is as a closet queen. I've '42 refurb which is sitting in the closet and is a PIA to shoot so I feel your pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast