Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMR 4350 , can it be used for cast ?

I've been shooting 57g IMR 4350 under a 180g GC RNFP RCBS mould with great success.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

Boolit Master

Just today I shot some imr 4350 in one of my .358 winchesters. 47 grains under Saeco 245grain cast. Shoots pretty good inthat rifle. I haven't chrono'ed it yet, but may get to do that tomorrow........

Boolit Mold
    Hey all,

Sorry to raise this one from the dead, but I can't seem to find what SEE stands for. I tried to look all over using searches, but ... you can imagine how common a word like see is. I imagine it's "pretty much terrible and you should never do it" but can someone tell me?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    johnch

Note; All those, including myself, that successfully use 4350 with cast bullets are using heavier bullets at the top end of cast bullet velocities and with 80+% loading density. I don't consider these as "reduced" but as normal cast bullet loads. A "reduced" cast bullet load to me is a '06 down under 1500 fps for example. Guess it depends on your definition of "reduced" is.

Larry Gibson
    This is a very important caveat and notice really need be taken of it.

Moderator Emeritus

Secondary Explosive Effect. Basically the powder begins an ignition then the bullet somewhat retards that while the rest of the powder then ignites . This creates a large pressure wave or perhaps two waves that increase pressures dramatically, often beyond the guns designed capacity.
    http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/as...fect-a-reality
    http://www.africanxmag.com/secondary...ion_effect.htm
    Some places to start your reading.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I use 4350 in a jacked up '06 170g varmint load out of a CDL. There usually isn't an exit "hole" on Ghogs.... it blows the whole far side off. There's nothing "reduced" about the loading. It will blow a crow into an indistinguishable V shaped,black and red mess!

I'd be called a liar for posting group size so ya'lls on your own. I sorta had to shelve it because of recoil.... in the short term(cardiology issues) but will be back on it in 6 months or so?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Secondary Explosive Effect. Basically the powder begins an ignition then the bullet somewhat retards that while the rest of the powder then ignites . This creates a large pressure wave or perhaps two waves that increase pressures dramatically, often beyond the guns designed capacity.
    http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/as...fect-a-reality
    http://www.africanxmag.com/secondary...ion_effect.htm
    Some places to start your reading.
    Thanks MT!! I recently picked up a savage 110e in 30-06 (my second savage 30-06). I normally load 57gn IMR4350 over 165 SGK for hunting. I loaded my last SGK and was pricing out more which hurt my wallet zone. I got the second 30-06 to play with cast without risking any learning damage to my primary hunting rifle.

At the same time, I have the LEE CTL312-160-2R and LEE C312-185-1R and a LEE C309-150-F. The only one that I’ve sent down range was the 160 out of my 303 Brit with 9.5gn Red Dot and this was less than 100 rounds. Given the lead I have collected, I thought maybe it’s about time to look into IMR 4350 under cast. Not reduced, that’s what the Red Dot is for.

I was looking to see if I could shoot cast close to as fast as jacketed without leading up my bore... or blowing up my face. I was playing with the idea of paper patching but just not there yet. Mostly, I really like my face the way it is.

A lbs of WW lead is a helluva lot cheaper than a lbs of jacketed bullets that’s for darn toots.
    Last edited by TEE; 08-27-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Woke up from a nap and was able to develop more of a thought

From the Lee Second Edition (2004) - not IMR4350, but H4350 and the obsolete slightly slower H450:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6KROe9T.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	232784

Shows loads from 100% fill down to about 50%. H450 fell between H4350 and H4831 - near Re19 in many cases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12