RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: For those who have attended the Quigley

Boolit Buddy

For those who have attended the Quigley

I'm planning on attending the Quigley this year and have a few questions for those who have attended the match.

First, I'm curious as to sight changes due to elevation; who much did you have to compensate, if any, from your home range elevation settings? My home range elevation is around 800 feet.

Considering that there are likely to be 600 or so shooters, I'm wondering how they manage practice time? Do you have ample time to get your event zeros? I'm guessing it gets pretty crowded by Thursday-Friday.

I realize that many camp at the event, and I'm likely to do that as well, but I'm wondering if there are any camping spots nearby on the Yellowstone?

That's all the specific questions I have at the moment, but feel free to jump in and share any tips or advice you may have, or your experiences at the match in general. I expect it to be a great time with some great folks. Somebody has to come in last place, could be me

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Practice time is a zoo.
    Your sight settings likely won't change a bunch, your home settings will probably be a couple of minutes high. But the thing there at the Q and sight settings is the mirage and differing temps from morning to afternoon and the winds can really make you scratch your head sometimes.
    Take a gun cart,and a comfortable folding chair, it's a long way from end of the firing line to the other, and you will likely have around a 2 hour wait between targets.
    There isn't any place to camp on the river that I'm aware of, and with the snow pack this year, the river is likely to be in flood stage anyway. It's about 7 or 8 miles from the river to the match on a county road. Camping out there at Quigleyville is half the fun anyway. Just keep in mind the further south from the firing line you get the more the breezes will keep the evening mosquitoes and buffalo knots to a dull roar. Be sure and take in the milk can supper.
    Have a good time, the Q is something anybody and everybody interested in bpcr needs to do at least once, and it can become an almost cult like thing.
    Good luck ,have fun and for what it's worth the "yellow" groups may have the advantage on the buffalo, altho the red has the advantage on the stop sign due to some natural features that help watching the wind.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

One other thing too, is they do give place awards to first time shooters.

Also take clothing to be prepared for anything from stifling heat and no wind to ankle deep mud and rain, to strong winds and snow, and a combination of everything in between.

One more thing, if time allows take in the Big Hill match the weekend before, it will be good practice, and is one of the prettiest ranges you'll shoot at. And stopping and spending a day or two at the Big Sky campground in Miles City makes for a good opportunity to get cleaned up, rv tanks drained and water supply replenished, and it's not a bad drive to go from Miles to Quigley to do some practice before moving out to Quigleyville for the big event.

Pretty much what Don told you. I been shooting the Quigley since 2005 and seen just about everything as far as weather except a snow storm but heavy hail one year as well as very strong winds enough to roll a pop up camper and tents tore up but it's a good shoot that will put you against 600 plus shooters from several countries and very tough competitive shooters.
    You will have ample time to get sight settings for a week before the match time and also before the match starts in the morning. Come a week end before the match and you will have plenty free space for getting sight settings but by Wednesday things get congested on the 1/4 mile long firing line but there is still enough room to shoot your ammo boxes empty.
    Here are some pictures you can go through.
    If you go to the Q for a couple years you will make some very good friends and it gets to be a reunion.

IMG_0021 by Kurt, on Flickr

IMG_0794 by Kurt, on Flickr

If you want to tell me what your shooting and load
    powder/bullets I can give you some sight setting come ups that will get you close enough to at least kick up some dust.

Boolit Buddy
    When is the Q this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always on Fathers day

Quote Originally Posted by ssnow View Post
    I realize that many camp at the event, and I'm likely to do that as well, but I'm wondering if there are any camping spots nearby on the Yellowstone?
    There is one campground by the fairgrounds that is open to camping. Not sure how many spots there are ( I think about 10) and availabilty that time of year
    I could drive by there tomorrow and take a couple pics for you.

type in:
    "Rosebud East Campground" and lots of info comes up

(do not type in EAST ROSEBUD CAMPGROUND or you will wind up in the mountains)

Boolit Master
    They set the targets up and open the Quigley range for practice and sight-in the weekend before the match. You can shoot all week if you want. I notice that not too many people are shooting through the Wednesday before the match, people begin to show up in earnest on Thursday, and the firing lines get pretty crowded by Friday.

If you get up real early, you can get a few shots on a target or two before the match starts Saturday and Sunday, but you’d best have some idea of your elevations on all the targets by then. I check my settings Thursday and again on Friday.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys. I'll be sure to get there early enough to get the sights dialed in. Hopefully the weather will be good this year. That dust storm doesn't look like much fun

It cleaned off without a problem

You can click on the picture and I think it might bring up more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    You can click on the picture and I think it might bring up more.
    That slo-mo of the paper patched bullet leaving the muzzle is cool!

Banned

yeah, a purty sight ...

Banned

Probably going to be canceled/postponed this year!

Boolit Master
    Dumb question??? Is the shoot for sharps only? It sounds like fun but living in Indiana you don't hear anything about it. By the way I shoot 1864 Trapdoor rifle, H&R Trapdoor rifle, C.Sharps .45-70, a .38-55 Browning High Wall, and a Marlin .45-70 with a 32" barrel. I do like the Trapdoor

Banned

learn to use a search engine, it'll save time and sometimes money ...

https://www.quigleymatch.com/

"
    • Any traditional single-shot or lever action rifle, .375 caliber or larger (lever actions must be single loaded).
    • Cast bullets only (gas checks okay). NO COATED BULLETS
    • Any safe powder charge (black, black substitute, smokeless or duplex). No over-powder wads of any kind allowed with double-based smokeless powder. Trapdoor loads cannot exceed published Level 1 load data. Black powder loads are strongly recommended for all antique rifles.
    • Any metallic sight (separate scope class available).
    • No hooked butt plates or palm rests. No shooting jackets.
    • Same rifle (with same barrel) must be shot at all targets.
    • Standard gun safety procedures dictate that antique rifles be inspected by a knowledgeable person to ensure their reliable and safe operation. Please comply.
    "

Vendor Sponsor
    Quigley is canceled this year... gotta love the “Rona”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Buddy
    We're running out of things for this (expletive deleted) virus panic to kill off.

Sorry for the rant but typing on the computer is better than some of the other responses that come to mind! (smile)

Dave