RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Powder Coat Speed?

Boolit Master

Powder Coat Speed?

im plan on finding a mould for my 357 SIG and will be powder coating using Smokes Clear. Can I use jacketed data since there isn't any cast data in the Lyman book? Wanting to push a 124 grain right at 1200fps.Your thoughts experience is appreciated.
    PS: Also what is the go to mould from Accurate?

PC works up past 3k fps. Go for it!
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    im plan on finding a mould for my 357 SIG and will be powder coating using Smokes Clear. Can I use jacketed data since there isn't any cast data in the Lyman book? Wanting to push a 124 grain right at 1200fps.Your thoughts experience is appreciated.
    PS: Also what is the go to mould from Accurate?
    I shoot 100 grain PC 9mm at 1450 fps. on a regular basis. I have also shot 30/06 caliber PC gas checked at 2800, PC 7mm 3000+ and plain base PC .22-250 at 3500+.

If you properly coat and cure a PC bullet you have in fact created a jacketed bullet that is lubricated so well it produces less friction than copper, steel or nickel jackets, so your barrel runs cooler. The polymer jacket is as hard as a copper jacket, better bonded, tougher and more flexible. According to a Phd professor of polymer physicist I conferred with several years ago the polymer jacket will easily withstand the torque spinup of 50K of chamber pressure. I have nothing that generates more chamber pressure or anything that has any more speed, so for me the Polymer Jacket has no limits. I use jacketed bullet load data and have for the last 8 years, but everyone needs to decide that for themselves. The only thing I have noticed and is proven out by my chronograph is a PC bullet, due to reduced friction, has a velocity increase of approximately 5% over an identical copper jacket load. Since Federal says the same thing and the big Company has done far more testing than me, so it must be true.

Yeah no issues at even 1500fps. I have run 6.8spc to 2000fps with PC with decent 100y accuracy.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned
    I've pushed PC'd 223 0ver 3200 fps (with GC) [ boolit must be properly sized and within a reasonable hardness range ]

Make sure you get a full cure on the PC -- manufacturers state XX min @ XXX° after the material reaches XXX° of after the PC flows. I've found the 25 min @ 400° in a preheated oven covers that for most manufacturers

Boolit Master

For the OP, I regularly push 223, and 308, to 2250 to 2450, the latter being 223 with a plain based boolit designed smooth sided just for PC.

Lee 358-125 RF has the same profile as 125 FMJ 357 SIG rounds. I was given some factory SIG rounds and they chronograph-ed at 1350 FPS. Lyman #49 lists a load using Unique with a low of 6.6 and a high of 7.3 grains using a jacketed 125. I loaded up to 7 grains with the Lee 125 PCd and achieved 1325 FPS. I quit there.

Gun is a Glock 22 with a Wolf 357 SIG drop in 4.49" barrel. I had collected so much 357 SIG brass I had to start shooting the cartridge. A friend gave me all of his once fired brass and 600+ rounds of factory FMJ once he found out I was loading/shooting the cartridge. I don't shoot this combo often but love how well it does. The recoil pulse is so different than 9mm or 40 S&W, the 357 SIG kind of pushes straight back with less muzzle rise, so faster follow up shots.

The 9mm drop in barrels just give me more trigger time with the G22 and G23. I don't think I will get a 357 SIG barrel for the 23 even though the slightly shorter barrel wouldn't really effect the velocity at all. I like 357 Mag, the 125 load at 1350 FPS was the standard issue load in the 1960s and 70s according a buddy who was CHP at the time. The 357 SIG is just a sweet performer, PCd cast loads leave the bore clean as a whistle, and as you've read, PC can go over 3k FPS without a problem. Give it a try.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!