RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Heavies in the .375 H&H

Heavies in the .375 H&H

I have two beautiful new moulds that I am unable to find load data for. The powders I plan to use are AA2520 and 5744.
    The moulds are: 1) RCBS.378-312-BPS and 2) Accurate Molds #38-345AG
    The calibers I'll be using them in are .375 H&H (mainly) and .38-55.
    I would really appreciate any help here.
    Devin
    DKN Gunsmithing

A huge lube cookie and FFg!

Sound like a perfect use for Trail Boss powder which has a universal reduced load algrothem.

5744 is very close to the discontinued sr4759 for reduced loads, possibly you could use that data to get started, I used it for 375 H&H reduced 300 gr. jackets loads

Boolit Grand Master
    I use 4759 for my H&H loads using the 310gr BRP slug. My load ended up being a bit over what was shown as max., but no problems in my #1. Magnum primer helped. About 2000fps and 1.5" groups all day long @100yds.

Also shot the 310gr boolit in my 38-55 (P-14 action) using Varget. Lets say it groups well under an inch @100. We have a gong, 7" x7" at 500yds. Had brought the rifle out to our sight in days at our range and during a lull, pulled it out to shoot at the gong. Most were scoffing at me shooting a cast boolit at the 500yd gong. They quit laughing when I hit it 5 out of 5 shots

Boolit Master
    I tried some 270 grain cast bullets in my .375 H&H with various loads using 2400, 4227, Unique and reduced charges of 4895. For me it was hang-fire city with darn near anything I tried. With the powders I had on hand at the time, the case is just too big. I didn't try using dacron or similar material to take up case space, but I have no doubt that would have helped.

If I were going to try it again, I would absolutely try both 5744 and Trail Boss.

Boolit Buddy
    I use an older .375 Lyman GC mold says 260 grains . W the gas check it comes in at 283 grains. Anyway. That bullet will shoot well w/o the gas check using only 12 grains of Unique. Bump it up to 16 grains I use the gas check. Now you want some fun ? Try using 65 to 66% of a max load of IMR4895 & few bits of dryer lint. That load is accurate & fun to shoot. I don't have a chronograph. So best guess is around 2000 FPS. No leading using about 4% antimony & just under 2% tin.. The Joy of it all. that load & alloy works ! unclemikeinct
    Last edited by unclemikeinct; 02-13-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I never thought of using dryer lint instead of Dacron. My wife would kill me if I got into her quilting stash. Still, dryer lint is consistent, can be weighed and measured, and is pretty abundant after laundry day. I don't shoot 375 H&H, but have shot a friend's. His dad and he (RIP) bought matching and sequential rifles decades ago, with a non standard for the time (so I was told) rate of twist. Friend wants to pass his Dad's on to me to 'keep it in the family, so to speak.

I only shot my buddy's on one occasion, many years ago, recoil reminded me of high-based 12 ga slugs. I told him it must be worse if he hadn't installed a mercury recoil dampener in the stock. He laughed and told me he had removed it and sent it for repair. Whenever I tell him about articles I've read here about the 375, his eyes light up.

He is just shy of 70, and has gotten where 308W leaves him bruised. I am encouraging him to try working with a recoil pad for field work, weighted lead sled for range work. I am determined to help him get another bear next season. The 375 has always done well during previous successful hunts.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

I am looking at Lyman 49 manual for the Lyman mold 378674 that weighs 335gr. with XMP5744start 26.0 gr @1329fps max of 36.0gr @1725fps
    my choice would be IMR4198 start 25.0 gr @1314 fps max of 36.0 gr @1717fps
    that should give you a starting point I have a 300gr Accurate mold I will start with the IMR4198 for it

Boolit Master
    I have used the 378674 paper-patched over a case full of WC 860 - chronoed about 2200 f/s. Haven’t got to shoot a hoglet with that load, yet; but it is cheep to shoot compared to j-words!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I use 4759 for my H&H loads using the 310gr BRP slug. My load ended up being a bit over what was shown as max., but no problems in my #1. Magnum primer helped. About 2000fps and 1.5" groups all day long @100yds.

Also shot the 310gr boolit in my 38-55 (P-14 action) using Varget. Lets say it groups well under an inch @100. We have a gong, 7" x7" at 500yds. Had brought the rifle out to our sight in days at our range and during a lull, pulled it out to shoot at the gong. Most were scoffing at me shooting a cast boolit at the 500yd gong. They quit laughing when I hit it 5 out of 5 shots
    Good for you!
    I always like to hear the scoffers getting educated!

I would like to take a moment to thank you all for your replies, and to ask you to keep chiming in as the thoughts grab you.
    I am going to go with the 5744 loads for light loads and am going to try a few rounds with case-full charges of WC867 (50 cal powder) fired over the chrono.
    It would be ideal to me to get the 345gr gas checked bullet up to around 2200 - 2300.
    Devin
    DKN Gunsmithing

It would be ideal to me to get the 345gr gas checked bullet up to around 2200 - 2300.[/QUOTE]

that would be a killer round, But is sounds like a hard kicker , I think I will get out my .458 Win Mag , if I need over 300Gr.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a pity some of you fellow aren't on my side of the water I purchased some boxes of mixed reloading components from a deceased estate and there is hundreds of 375 H&H cases and projectiles and I don't own a 375 H&H, I just spent 4 hours last night sorting them out into weights and calibres and I am about half way through.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I have zero experience with the .375 and nothing meaningful to add, save a request you post pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Requested Pics

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    I have zero experience with the .375 and nothing meaningful to add, save a request you post pictures.
    Top to bottom:
    Weatherby Vanguard Dangerous Game Rifle .375 H&H
    CZ 550 Safari Classic .375 H&H
    Winchester 1894 Chief Crazy Horse .38-55

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	257755
    Devin
    DKN Gunsmithing

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Noffsinger View Post
    Top to bottom:
    Weatherby Vanguard Dangerous Game Rifle .375 H&H
    CZ 550 Safari Classic .375 H&H
    Winchester 1894 Chief Crazy Horse .38-55

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	257755
    I have recently obtained a CZ 550 Safari Classic .375 H&H. Have a Lyman 375449 ordered for it. Will try iron sights first and may scope it later. What scope do you have on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

KONUSPRO 3-10X44 #7255
    I have one on each .375 H&H as well as one on each .458 WinMag rifle for a total of 4.
    they take all the recoil I can give them and have yet to shift POI.
    My heaviest load is Lyman #457671 45 Caliber 470 Grain GC at 2225 fps and the scope has seen 420 rounds with zero problems, so they are extremely solid.
    Devin
    DKN Gunsmithing