MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying online problems

Boolit Grand Master

Buying online problems

This is a what would you do question.

I'm trying to buy a brand new Springfield M1A scout squad from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. They have the best price I've seen by far, $1360 and free shipping. Nothing else even comes close. Most run around $1600 or more for the synthetic stock version.

Now here's the bad. Upon reading reviews of Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, experiences were mixed. Overall, they seemed negative.

So I decided to order it anyway, as they did answer the phone, they do have a nice website, and some reviewers had no problems. This was all great until I got a message that they were waiting on info from my local FFL. That was odd, as that was sent days ago. So I called my FFL, and he sent it a second time. Next day I call, and SOSS says still nothing, make sure my name, order #, etc. is in it. So I call my FFL again, and he sends a third email, and double checks that all info is there. I called earlier today, and nada. I'm trying to tell them that the emails are there, but they just say they can't find it. Ok so I asked about another email. He said no, but you can fax it. Fax? I don't believe I have seen a fax machine in 20 years.

So here is where I'm at. I do want the rifle, but I kind of feel bad to ask my FFL to send another email. I'm sure he is already wondering what kind of shady deal I have going on. I'll ask him if he has a fax machine, but I'm guessing I already know the answer. There is another FFL near by that SOSS can send it to, and already have the FFL info they need. The problem is while I like the guys who work there, I can't stand the owner, and they absolutely gouge on prices for no good reason. Just overall a poor company, with no people skills. The other concern I have is if SOSS has this much trouble with email, how do I trust them to ship the rifle to the correct address?

Should I plug my nose and do business with the FFL I don't like? Or should I just pony up the extra $300 and be done with it?

Or maybe I'll get lucky with a fax machine.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 02-11-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone that has a PC with a scanner has fax capability.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Someone is jerking you around. Get copy of FFL paperwork. Get physical snail mail address and name of person to send it to. Mail it certified, return receipt requested. Quit playing their, "we didn't get it" game crap. Sometimes old school is the best way. They can't get around lying that they didn't receive it when someone signed for it.

My two pesos

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Anyone that has a PC with a scanner has fax capability.
    Really? I really do live under a rock.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Really? I really do live under a rock.
    https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/s...ier-10420.html
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Fax it !
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Grand Master

Well I'll be, My FFL said he can fax it no problem. That was a waste of a thread.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    Someone is jerking you around. Get copy of FFL paperwork. Get physical snail mail address and name of person to send it to. Mail it certified, return receipt requested. Quit playing their, "we didn't get it" game crap. Sometimes old school is the best way. They can't get around lying that they didn't receive it when someone signed for it.

My two pesos
    I asked for a copy once to send by mail. He said he will not give out a copy. I didn't ask why, but I'm sure there is a good reason. I've used this guy for guns half a dozen times now, all info sent by email with no problems until now. I've known him forever. As a little kid I remember riding my bike with my brother to buy sucker minnows there with quarters we got by trading in pop cans, and that was when his dad was still the owner.

Moderator Emeritus

My FFL sent me a copy of his form. I didnt see anything alarming on it for me to have for when I do purchases that from places that don't have his FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    My FFL sent me a copy of his form. I didnt see anything alarming on it for me to have for when I do purchases that from places that don't have his FFL.
    Mine did the same.

A lot of ffl guys won't give out their info to individuals, but a company that won't take an email is rare. That said I don't think any of my local ffl dealers can't fax. So no issue for me. I did go thru this back and forth with my local guy and PSA. He said it's pretty common for email to get lost business to business the first time. It was odd because he had received from psa several times in the past.

1360 is a smoking deal on an m1a socom!
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Grand Master
    I have bought two rifles from them and had no issues. I would use them again.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

could have emailed it with a receipt request but then again, they could have ignored it...enjoy your new m1a
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    I have gotten deliveries from them without a hitch. My FFl went through the first time. Seamless after that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I asked for a copy once to send by mail. He said he will not give out a copy. I didn't ask why, but I'm sure there is a good reason. I've used this guy for guns half a dozen times now, all info sent by email with no problems until now. I've known him forever. As a little kid I remember riding my bike with my brother to buy sucker minnows there with quarters we got by trading in pop cans, and that was when his dad was still the owner.
    So the story goes.... that at one time or another someone would use a FFL's paperwork without the knowledge of the FFL. In addition, it is said that some changed the address on the paperwork in an attempt to have the firearm shipped to their home.

Now, this has to be totally false because you can cross verify addresses via any FFL look up tool. But even though this is 99% internet rumor BS, I think it's why some FFL's will not give out physical copies. And I cannot blame them. Their FFL is the key to their business. Any tom fookery with that document, suspension, or standing with the ATF will spell destruction to their business.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had an FFL that didn't want to give out a hard copy to me, so I told him just write on it "File Copy for XYZ guns for purchase of ABC firearm". They were OK with that.

Boolit Grand Master
    with all the jackin around you have been getting I would not deal with them
    red flags all over plus the bad reviews no way Jose
    there may be a reason their price is so low
    remember no such thing as a free lunch
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Maybe the ffl made a mistake in typing the e-mail address

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbs70 View Post
    Maybe the ffl made a mistake in typing the e-mail address
    3 times? No, no mistake was made. They have the emails.

I called, and they did receive the fax. The rifle is shipped, and will be here tomorrow. I wouldn't have known that if it wasn't for the phone call though, still no email update. They really need to get a competent computer operator in there.

Other than the email problems, things seem good so far. It's a brand new rifle, so if there is a problem with it, it's Springfield's problem. Yes the price is fantastic. You won't find a better price.

Boolit Master
    Anyone that has a PC with a scanner has fax capability

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast