Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: CVA Mountain Rifle Range Report

Boolit Master

CVA Mountain Rifle Range Report

Had a chance to head out to the local range today with a mix of firearms. Took the .50 caliber Mountain rifle for some fun and it was a blast.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CVA Mountain Rifle Targets.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	256607

Loaded up 65 grains of 3F Geox with pillow ticking, bore butter and a .490 RB and shot at 50 yards off a front rest. Think it has some potential, took a few shots to find point of aim but it hits where I point it. Didn't have enough time to work up any loads but the 65 grains looks close.

Boolit Man
    If it has the 1-66 twist they like a hard pushed ball. I`d try 80-100 grains of powder. Bits of tack drivers the CVA mountain rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Had a chance to head out to the local range today with a mix of firearms. Took the .50 caliber Mountain rifle for some fun and it was a blast.

Name:	CVA Mountain Rifle Targets.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	256607

Loaded up 65 grains of 3F Geox with pillow ticking, bore butter and a .490 RB and shot at 50 yards off a front rest. Think it has some potential, took a few shots to find point of aim but it hits where I point it. Didn't have enough time to work up any loads but the 65 grains looks close.
    Eddie
    I found CVA's notoriously easy to load for - the 50 cal shot well with as low as 40 grains - or up to 80 (of FFFg goex) - infact that was my range tactic for competitions 25 yard plinking and rondy events got 40 grains -- 50 yard paper got 60 grains and 100yard paper got 80 grains - mine was a pennsylvania flinter which I stupidly sold/traded ended up with a 50 Green mountain barrel and L&R lock --- a big backwards step - more finickity to load and I never shot that thing as well as the CVA. An article on the CVA big bore mountain rifle (54 and 58cal) in our local shooting mag was what got me started on muzzleloader shooting - I have had a parade of CVA's but never owned a mountain rifle.

Boolit Master
    Since the MR was pretty much a basket case with a plugged breach, buggered up clean out screw and missing parts when I picked it up I am pleasantly surprised with it's first trip out to the range. It feels good to resurrect an old front stuffer and see it shoot well. I also have a CVA Frontier with the 24 inch barrel and a CVA Hawken with the 28 inch barrel which is my main shooter so the MR filled out the collection nicely. So far the MR seems to be at least as accurate as the other two with a .50 caliber PRB. Thanks for the load information, didn't think about going lower on the charge for target shooting. Need to schedule a day at the range when it's not as busy, the place was packed when I was there. Got tired of getting the occasional piece of hot brass bouncing off me at the firing line.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a frontier rifle years ago. Built it from a kit. Wish I had kept it, it shot both RBs and conicals real well. I go to my range early mornings week days and pretty much get it to myself. Its nice to have the range to yourself. Sometimes nice to have someone to chat with but when I'm concentrating on shooting, I mostly like not to be bothered.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    It's Race Week here in Daytona Beach and the range is a big draw on the off racing days. I also forgot that the AR and AK crowd comes out in the morning and the range clears out by the afternoon. Brass ratted some brass and it was a good day
    My Frontier rifle was a pawn shop find and needed to have the stock refinished. The bore looked like it was never shot.

Boolit Grand Master

My Frontier was a kit and the first one I put together. Guys laughed at it's size until I won 2 events that day. I sold it to someone who doesn't take care of things even though I knew better. He kept hounding me until I caved and then it ended up like I thought. He shot it and threw it in the back of his truck without cleaning it for months. Likeable guy but a spoiled big kid.
    Aim small, miss small!

Shot my first deer with one, 1976, 70 gr FFF if I recall, complete pass through both lungs on a 130 pound doe. It was one of the originals when they were still made stateside.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

Boolit Master
    Here's my CVA collection, all .50 caliber with browned barrels. The pistol is a Traditions also with a browned barrel and is my shooter for off hand events.

Name:	CVA Collection Resized.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	256679

The Hawken and Frontier I refinished because they needed it. I tried to match the finish color on the pistol but kept them satin. Not sure what's more fun, saving them or shooting them. It's a low dollar collection but putting it together was fun.

Boolit Master
    I had one for several years, won a lot of meat and trophies with it. It like 50grs of 3fffg with a .018 thick pillow ticking patch, 490 RB for target and 80gr of powder for hunting.

Boolit Master
    I shot my CVA mountain rifle in club matches in the late 1970,s. I always placed in the top 5 or better. I shot 50 grains 3fffg. At 50 yard 2inch groups off hand
    were common.

I still have that rifle. Fly

Boolit Master
    "If I had a rifle that shot that bad i would throw it in the dumpster at the range." THAT'S A STUPID THING TO SAY. It Was The First Time Out For The Rifle With No Load Work Up. What's your problem, jealous, drunk, or are you a troll?
    Last edited by Eddie2002; 02-16-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like all 3 /Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Sounds like all 3 /Ed

my message was too short yep!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jruby38 View Post
    If I had a rifle that shot that bad i would throw it in the dumpster at the range.
    and i'd pick up that free rifle and make a tack driver out it, no sweat. it all comes down to smarts.

Boolit Master
    Why do people have to be so rude? If you don't have something constructive to say, don't post. Geezzzzzzzzzz!

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    That rifle will come around. I had in 54 cal and it loved 100 grains or more of goex 2f. Took my ten year old grandson on it's first hunt and he was with at first blood. Helped like a trooper dressing and getting the deer out. Gave it to him at the end of the hunt.

Boolit Master

Have had my CVA Mountain Rifle for over 40 years. Haven't shot it for past 20 years because I can't focus on the iron sights and I refuse to put a scope on it.
    Won numerous hams and money pots with it as well as many deer killed. Now it hangs on the wall over my desk and I will not part with it. I shot 90 grains of FF
    with T shirt material wadding around a .490 round ball.
    Larry