RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC abrasive?

Boolit Master
    JonB, All interesting thoughts. I'm liking the results with the pc'd boolits. I chronographed a few to compare speeds against the loads with bll. Nothing changed in the deviations or velocities. All in all it's worth the time and effort.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    What about the possibility of the PC coating the barrel and imparting the shine?
    Some on this site have tried this, it is called "Undercuring Your Bullets". The coating sticks to the inside of the barrel very well, but the shine I think left something to be desired.

Boolit Master
    Someone asked earlier in this thread aboit putting an abrasive in the PC. Curious if this would work with a thread choke? I'm not going to be the Guinea Pig as I don't have a thread choke available to try it on (thank goodness), but it wouldn't be as messy as the traditional goop slung everywhere. Of course you'd have to throw out the container after doing so, but.....

Boolit Bub
    I suppose you could put a PC boolit in a hand drill, then put a jacketed bullet in a vise. Turn on drill and try to grind them together. see which one has its 'coating' wear the fastest. I would be the PC wears faster than the jacket material.

Interesting thought.

Boolit Master
    Concerned about barrel wear I checked some of the additives used in Solid Tone Polyester Base Prismatic Powders a long while back I found no additive on a hardness scale that was even as hard as pure copper.

When I started PC in 2012 I proposed a lot of questions to professionals in the field, but none knew anything about PC bullets. So most answers were conjecture based on what they knew about the properties of the polymers.

I use Solid Tone Polyester Based Powders, as this was the powder base recommended to my by a professor of polymer physics for coating bullets. The professor based his recommendation on the knowns of the Polyester Polymer. He felt due to its bond, hardness and resistance to wear, not to mention the slickness of the finish, polyester would be my best choice. He also suggested a 3 mill build out for my proposed use in high pressure rifles. Through my own testing I have since verified the accuracy that Polyester coating will withstand the torque of 50K chamber pressure in a full power 30/06 load.

There several powder bases and untold additives in the thousands of colors. i know Prismatic has some 6K+ finishes and colors alone. I cannot speak for all powders, but I think if one sticks with Polyester Base Powders for coating bullets I cannot see a problem, but you can always check for yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I use PC bullets in 2 precision 308's and a standard AR-15 in 223. Accuracy is consistent in all of them and the barrels are mirror shiny after cleaning. I've shot Pc followed by copper jacketed or home swaged rimfire jacketed bullets and they all shoot just as accurately, possibly even better. If there is an improvement in accuracy it could be due to better trigger control due to my ability to practice more with in-expensive ammo or the PC is somehow conditioning the barrel. I don't know and wish I had a good bore scope. Has anyone experienced the same result?

Boolit Buddy
    I have chronographed Smokes PC with identical loads using Hi Tek and PC is always a minimum of 50 FPS faster and sometimes well over 100 FPS. You can be the judge which coating has the higher (bullet / barrel) drag coefficient. Does the Hi Tek paint drag equate to abrasiveness? I dunno but I have one Glock that has well over 100K rounds of PC down the pipe and not a hint of wear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12