Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bacon Consistency

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nccaster77 View Post
    Here in NC Smithfield bacon is pretty consistent and goes for about $4/lb. Let’s talk makin’ bacon. Lay out the whole pkg. on a baking sheets with sides on foil sprayed with cooking spray oil. Start oven @ 350° and cook to desired texture. Anywhere from limp flimsy chewy bacon to xtra crisp. Perfect bacon every time. No mess. Put the leftovers in fridge for salads or microwave the next morning.
    Years ago I got some large jerky smoking racks at Gander Mountain. Fit a large aluminum sheet pan (don't know if they are called a quarter or half sheet) Lay the bacon on one of the racks sitting in the sheet pan, and cook like you said. You can cook about 3/4 lb at a time on them. Can line the pan with aluminum foil, also, but the clean up w/o the foil is no hassle for me.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I can get Wright bacon on sale and get a lb of Jimmy Dean sausage with it free so I buy a lot at one time.

I also buy Bacon Up which is 14 oz of factory prepared and filtered bacon grease. I can use it to make gravy without making bacon.
    EDG

Banned

Petit Jean is available at Walmart here. But it has gotten so expensive that I only buy it as a treat every now and then. I normally use the Great Value Thick Cut.

I really like Wright bacon, but the grease is more watery. It's also pretty expensive.

Boolit Master
    Thinking about buying pork belly at COSTCO and making my own bacon. Smoke it the next time I smoke something else like pulled pork or ribs and get more output from the of wood used.

Not sure what to do with the quantity produced. Freeze some. Give some to friends. Almost positive I can make better bacon than most commercially produced bacon. Made sausages last week. Probably cost about $2 a pound and would have been much cheaper if pork was bought when the store had a pork roast special at 95 cents a pound. The sausage tastes excellent, I know what went into it and the cleanlness of the kitchen.

Making my own should also provide odd shaped ends to cut off and squaring up the bacon while providing chunks of bacon for bean or pea soup.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had no issues vacuum bagging and freezing bacon for a year, flavor loss has been minimal. Key is get the oxygen away from it!

Boolit Master
    We have been getting Zeiglers, although Lori gets another brand that is from somewhere in Alabama. I have to have mine put in the oven on a rack that fits a cookie sheet because greasy stuff, while it tastes great, is not helping me to get better. I gotta have grilled hamburgers so the fat is most gone. Nothing fried anymore if I can help it, boiled, baked is ok. And Lori and I both love bacon!
    I used to almost deep fry it in some of my cast iron skillets, then drop an egg into the grease and just splash said egg with bacon grease until they were cooked to my satisfaction.
    Those were the days..........
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    not sure who makes it but I like the odd and ends some chunks of fat some chunks of meat a bit of every thing else. What I would like to find is bacon with the rind on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I will have to try Wright's again... first time I tried it the bacon was rancid...

That's the store's fault for it being old from not rotating their stock.
    No way the processor shipped it that way.

We use a lot of crumbled bacon in other cooking.
    I get the 3 pound pack of 'ends & pieces' for doing that and its a fraction of the per pound price
    of the pretty, uniform strips.

Its the trimmed pieces from the pork belly when they cut the pretty slices that go into the flat packages.
    I chop it up, fry it(***), then it can be frozen until ya need it.

Remember: the first rule of Southern cooking is to save all bacon grease.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-03-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    HEB house brand bacon is good. Favorite is Kiolbassa brand but it's pricey.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's the store's fault for it being old from not rotating their stock.
    No way the processor shipped it that way.

We use a lot of crumbled bacon in other cooking.
    I get the 3 pound pack of 'ends & pieces' for doing that and its a fraction of the per pound price
    of the pretty, uniform strips.

Its the trimmed pieces from the pork belly when they cut the pretty slices that go into the flat packages.
    I chop it up, fry it(***), then it can be frozen until ya need it.

Remember: the first rule of Southern cooking is to save all bacon grease.
    I have a quart tub of bacon fat in the fridge LOL It was Wrihts ends and pieces that were bad, came form a store I rarely shop, I was up at the lake and needed to make baked beans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12