MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Marlin 1895 One Piece Scope Mount

Boolit Master

Marlin 1895 One Piece Scope Mount NEVER MIND pulled my head out

Mount came in today.
    Can be installed two ways.
    One has the mount flush with the back of the action, the other way the mount ends about 5/8ths from the end of the action.
    With all of the holes in this mount, all four of the holes line up either way.
    Any advantages/issues either way?

++++++++++++++++++
    Well I sat it down and went off to do other things.
    Came back and from a distance noted that it stuck out past the front end of the receiver mounted "incorrectly".
    Yep, sometimes one can be too . . . TOO close to the forest to see the trees.
    With the right (wrong) scope the slight movement forward may be needed.
    ++++++++++++++++++

When I figure out the scope I want that may make one way better.

AS I read somewhere in all of this, the mount screws at the rear are just long enough to drag on the top of the bolt.

A little file or Dremel work tomorrow will take care of that, it is very close to ok as is.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-11-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Personally I’d mount it forward to have the scope a wee bit farther away from my eye for that 45-70.

It's to fit different amounts of eye relief.

I'd ease it on up forward as much as I could too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post

AS I read somewhere in all of this, the mount screws at the rear are just long enough to drag on the top of the bolt.

A little file or Dremel work tomorrow will take care of that, it is very close to ok as is.

FWIW, the Gold Standard for installing scope bases involves testing each mounting screw individually for tightening and protrusion/dragging on the bolt.

Only install one screw at a time, first tightening it, then trying to wriggle the base there to determine if that screw's too long - remove it and move on to testing the other screws likewise, one at a time.

I also cycle the bolt once each screw is tested/installed to ensure it doesn't also bind the bolt.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Pietro
    The TC Contender is a PERFECT example of what you say.
    From a quick evaluation it appears that the slight protrusion on the end of the screw is all that it is an issue.
    When operating the lever one can feel a slight drag and hear it.

The plug screws that were in it were interesting, one had very shallow slot and one had almost non existent slot.
    I thought I was going to have to put it in the vise and use pressure from the drill press to give enough friction to gt it out

I do not plan to load any Dinosaur killer loads for this gun, but always try to put a the scope as far from my forehead as possible.

To one and all,
    Having worked the range as long as I have, I certainly do not plan to add one of those crescent moon scars to my forehead at this point in my life!
    Scopes always get mounted as far forward as possible!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-12-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add comment
    Amendments

I had the base on my 1895 on to overhang front of action. Because of position of adjustment turret on scope I had to get movement to get eye relief. A lot of the new generation scopes have shorter tubes and less adjustment travel between rings.

I mounted 3x9 on 1895. Shot it in at 100ys with hot 300gr HPs. Gun shot fine. Carried it one day in woods deer hunting. Didn’t like it, should have had 3x or smaller on it.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking 2X7, or 1x4 compact to reside on the gun.
    2x7 would be nice for load development.
    Amendments

Boolit Master
    My 1895 has a Leupold 1-4X slug gun scope with the heavy cross hair option. It's in an old Lyman pivot mount. It works well in the black bear stand. But for really low light, I had that little brass bead in the front sight ramp replaced with a Trijicon tritium dot.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post

To one and all,

Having worked the range as long as I have, I certainly do not plan to add one of those crescent moon scars to my forehead at this point in my life !

I did just that in 1967, when I mounted a Weaver Pivot mount on my spanky-new .444 Marlin.

I zeroed the scope first; then decided to check/zero the iron barrel sights - so (as advertised by Weaver) I swung the scope off to the left for the check.

On the first shot, the now offset scope hit the brow of my off eye (which was evidently further toward the muzzle than my sighting eye).

That's when I pitched the Pivot Mount for a QD setup, deciding that if I ever needed (or wanted) to use the iron sights, I'd rather detach the scope from the rifle.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I guess I will go ahead and mount a full size 3X9 to get some loads worked up and then decide about a compact scope more in proportion between now and next season.
    Considering buying a scope I do not have or using one I already own, the existing scope may appeal to me more over time.

So far I have sent some lead down range with the sights in the factory setting and at about 50 yards all would have been a deer leaking air and blood.

Have to get a scope on it, roughly sighted in and some lead loaded because I will be someplace where I can shoot at distance this coming weekend.
    Amendments