RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: help with swaging tools ID and how to use.

Boolit Mold

help with swaging tools ID and how to use.

Hello,
    I would like some help identifying and finding parts for some swaging items that I've acquired.
    Any info would be great.
    I have tried calling the phone number but it went to voicemail. I left a message and have not yet received a reply.

Thanks,
    AlelordClick image for larger version. 

Name:	swaging 8.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	256553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swaging 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	256554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swaging 2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	256555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swaging 4.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	256561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swaging 5.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	256564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swaging 6.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	256565
    I am on a quest for knowledge, any help is appreciated!

Boolit Master
    I doubt the company has been in business in decades, but I've been wrong before.

Looks like a conversion ram for a press (not sure which one, but if you're lucky a RC or similar) a top punch holder, and punch, and a/some die(s), but I don't know if the different photos are different dies, or just different angles. I see at least a core squirt die, but as I said, I can't tell about the other pieces.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Mold
    Awesome thank you! The photos are of different dies I have from what I can figure out, point form, core seat and core swage for 3 calibers (22, 6mm, 30cal) plus some other found a die marked 32 and it came with half jackets for 35 cal so I think 9mm/38spl. Unfortunately the ram has different threads than most if the dies. It fits the two dies that are bigger one is marked 32 cal. The ram diameter is .875 does anyone out there have a press that has a ram that diameter?
    I would love to be able to use this stuff. I played around with swaging before but only with home made dies and for pistol calibers.
    Thank you for your help!

Boolit Mold
    I measured the ram on the SAS Mity Mite - it's ~.811". Maybe that .875" ram is for one of the similar Corbin Silver Presses? The die and ram design look very much like the style seen on those earlier swaging presses. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Banned
    .875" is standard ram diameter for Pacific and all the presses that use that system. As in everyone.

Moderator Emeritus
    Not sure what the 2nd or 4th picture is. Need a side view. Both go in the bottom of a CSP press through, depending on what the thread is. I think the thread for the base of the press is 5/8x24, but that is from memory so could be wrong.

The 5th picture is a punch holder and punch that goes in the top of a Corbin CSP 1 press. It is used with multiple top punches. The thread is 7/8x14 and is the same thread as a reloading press.

The 6th picture goes in the base of the CSP press. Since it has a hole in the side of it, it is more than likely a core squirt die.

Check out Corbins web site for more pictures and some instructions.

Here’s a starting point: http://www.corbins.com/swaging.htm#csw

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone for the help! I will post some more pics to help out.
    From what Pressman said I need a Pacific style press? I measured my RCBS RC press and the ram is 1in. There are two different threads for the dies but it looks like all the top punches are the same 7/8-14.
    I will be looking around on Corbins website now to look at the CSP 1 press. Hopefully some of this stuff will work in a standard press with a modified ram?

Here is a link to more pics:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rb...kyUb0AsCavO4Hq

In the photos the two dies next to the ram are the only ones that fit into it. If I want to use the others I believe I will have to get another ram.
    I was looking around online and found DR.Blackmon. Does he make conversion rams for new production RCBS presses?
    Also, would I be better off just saving my pennies to buy a Corbins press?

Moderator Emeritus
    The first thing you should probably do is separate everything by caliber. There are commonly three dies per caliber. Punches are also caliber and die specific. A standard top punch holder can be used with any of the top punches. You will need to change the punch when you change the bottom die.

I would have expected all 6 dies you show to fit into the press ram. What is causing them to not fit? Thread pitch or thread size?
    Last edited by garandsrus; 02-14-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Boolit Mold
    For the ones that do not fit it is the the size (they are too small) it also looks like they have a different thread pitch.
    I will see if I can sort them today if I can I will post pics.

Banned
    It would be nice if you have one complete set of dies, from looking at the pictures I have doubts.

I tried to get a better look at the ram in Photoshop with little luck.

But, questions. Just how long is the ram? What does the other end look like?

There are two holes on one end for a cross pin? This makes me think the ram fits a RCBS A series press. More information is needed.
    Last edited by Pressman; 02-14-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Alright here are some more pics. I tried my best to get decent pics but if you need better ones, or different angles, let me know. I tried to group them by caliber, size, etc.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V8...7TffTJ-1JSqSHy

Banned
    That is quite the collection of odds and ends, wow.

Boolit Master
    The more I look at the ram, the more I think it might be for an old SAS swaging press, or at least, a knock-off of one. I had one of the presses with threads that probably would have fit your other dies, but I sold it several years ago.

Some of the other stuff includes: case neck flaring tools, arbor press reloading/bullet seating dies, stockmakers hand screws, a card or gas check cutter, neck sizing bushings, primer seating arms, and some other stuff I can't identify.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Mold
    Yeah it's a fair bit of stuff. I traded a few 6mm bullets for it all but the guy had already sold the press it went to and can't remember what it was.
    After a trip to the store I found that the smaller threads are 9/16-12. I think the larger of the two is 5/8-24 but have not confirmed yet. I wish I had a thread protector for a 30 cal rifle.
    Is it possible that an old SAS press could work with the dies that I have?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alelord View Post
    Yeah it's a fair bit of stuff. I traded a few 6mm bullets for it all but the guy had already sold the press it went to and can't remember what it was.
    After a trip to the store I found that the smaller threads are 9/16-12. I think the larger of the two is 5/8-24 but have not confirmed yet. I wish I had a thread protector for a 30 cal rifle.
    Is it possible that an old SAS press could work with the dies that I have?
    Unfortunately I suspect that anything to use those smaller dies will end up being a custom undertaking unless you manage to come across a random old press someplace. I checked the rest of my stuff, and don't have anything that quite matches.

5/8-24 is the pitch used by Corbin on the smaller presses, and used by Blackmon for his dies. Either of those gentlemen may be able to help you with a custom ram/press for the other dies, but I suspect the cost may be pretty high.

Boolit Mold
    Ah alright, thank you for looking. One day when I have a lathe and some time I might have to try it myself. For right now I will ask around and see what I can come up with.

Boolit Buddy
    Resurrecting this thread because I've come into a set of swaging gear with one big similarity: it has a bunch of dies that fit an old SAS ram, but also a bunch of dies that are smaller and have a coarser thread pitch. If anyone comes across the answer to what press 9/16-12 swaging dies could work with, or if Alelord ever pops back in, I'd be interested to know. Meanwhile I'll do some sleuthing on my own.