RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: 50 beowulf heavy boolit loads

Boolit Buddy

50 beowulf heavy boolit loads

wondering if anyone had experimented with, or had maybe access to quickloads. I'm looking for load data for 50 beowulf and an 870 grain boolit. anyone out there able to help?
    i shoot a 650 grain boolit that's about 1200 fps and accurate to 200m. any help appreciated.

Boolit Man
    Just save up for a barret 50bmg at this point

Boolit Master

I just ordered some ammo for a beowulf nothing that heavy , will start loading after I have some empty brass , but that is heavier then I plan on going .

Boolit Buddy
    lmk what you run into. the 650 gr boolit sits on 25 grains of rl7 and is accurate to 300 meters. hits like a freight train. there's just something about heavy boolits with momentum on steel targets. i was really hoping someone with access to quickloads could help me out, i doubt there's printed information out there with a boolit that heavy. maybe i'll take Al's advice and buy a 50bmg.

Boolit Buddy
    What bullet are you planning to run that is that heavy? What velocity are you hoping to achieve?

Boolit Buddy
    the noe 887 (857 with my alloy). anywhere in the 800 FPS range would be fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wonder if Trailboss would work for you?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    the noe 887 (857 with my alloy). anywhere in the 800 FPS range would be fine.
    I see that mold is for the 50 BMG .513 diameter. Did you custom order it in .502 diameter or are you planning to size it down? That is a huge bullet, have you made up a dummy round to see if it will chamber in your gun?

Banned

if its anything like my alexander arms ar your going to have to seat so deep you wont have much powder capacity left. Add to that mine is very sensitive to nose profiles and in the big picture just doesn't run most cast bullets well. Add to that ( I know shut my mouth) I just don't see the logic in this. I shot (well actually it was my wife) a 1600lb Asian water buffalo with my beo using 420 grain punch bullets. Her first shot was a raking shot that broke the front right shoulder and came to rest under the skin after breaking the right rear leg. That's the equivalent of about shooting through 4 good sized black bears lined up side by side. Then your going to run into another problem. Beos aren't twisted for bullets that heavy. Most barrels are set up for bullet around 350 grain so getting it to be stable out past a 100 yards is going to be iffy if not impossible. Ive shot the beo, 475 and 500 linebaughs for years and one lesson I learned is you get to a point of diminishing returns with bullet weight. Especially if your gun isn't built (twisted) for ultra heavy bullets. My rule of thumb is 420s for the beo and 475 and 480s for the 500. Anything more then that isn't going to kill ANYTHING any deader and will just give you headaches.

Banner Sponsor

Okay, here's some Quickload stuff.
    50 Beo 20"bbl,
    NOE 513-887 1.795" long
    50 Beo case is 1.65", COAL is 2.25" = bullet seated 1.217" into case leaving 8.57 grains usable case capacity.

**This is not load Data**
    ** Just a what if **
    A#9 8gns 663fps @ 39kpsi
    Lil Gun 9gns 636fps @ 26kpsi 110% load density
    H-110 9.3gns 636fps @ 27kpsi 110%
    2400 7.8gns 654fps @ 33kpsi 104%
    BlueDot 6.8gns 635fps @ 33kpsi 106%

So I'm not sure that you would have enough pressure and gas volume for the bullet to exit the barrel.

FWIW

Boolit Bub
    hi all,

I am new to this caliber, what is your favorite mold for this caliber? for the castboolit what BHN are you guys using? tia

Boolit Buddy
    Coco89, right now my favorite molds are a MM 600 grain rngc (I PC and skip the GC) over 25 grains of rl7, an NOE 450 grain LFN PB that likes imr4198 and another NOE, 325 PC design that shoots well over aa1680. I'm surprised at how relatively flat these boolits shoot, esp. the 600 grainers. No, they don't shoot like a .243, but the 600 grain really seems to maintain velocity, at least from 2-300 meters. hits like a freight train at both distances. since I PC, I don't use a super hard alloy. Typically straight wheelweights (BHN 10-15)

Boolit Buddy
    lar45 thanks so much, that's the data I was looking for. You're right, it isn't feasible in the beowulf. I bought a REALLY nice NOE mold here (4c 887 gr 50bmg) and I LOVE the boolits it makes. I already shoot a 600 grain boolit in the beowulf and thought I'd give it a whirl. Oh well, time to either sell the mold, or buy a 50 bmg rifle