WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Who knows what this medal is?

Boolit Buddy

Who knows what this medal is?

I have a chance to pick this up at a local auction for 3$ does anyone know what it is?

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B58CBE01-5ED4-43E6-A18D-18E7C9858A70.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	256528

Banned
    Freemason's. I don't know it's purpose though.

Boolit Man
    It appears to be a Masonic Knights Templar Order of Malta medal.

PB

Boolit Buddy
    So not military? If not thanks!!

Boolit Buddy
    I think that medal was only given to Masons that had served in the military, so in the Masons, it is a military medal.

Boolit Master
    An Order emphasizing the lesson of faith. This Order requires the Mason to profess and practice the Christian faith. The pass degree of the Mediterranean Pass, or Knight of St. Paul prepares the candidate for the Order by introducing the lesson and example of the unfearing and faithful martyr of Christianity. The Order is centered on allegorical elements of the Knights of Malta, inheritors of the medieval Knights Hospitaller.

http://www.yorkrite.org/Degrees/
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    I stand corrected. It sure does appear to be the Order of Malta medal.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Order of Malta Medal for one of the degrees in Knight Templars - the York Rite branch of Masonry. I demitted years ago as I didn't have the time to put into it like I should have.

FYI - After you join and go through the Blue Lodge, where you go through three Degrees and become a Master Mason - you can go on to either of the two branches of Masonry if you wish to (or both) - the Scottish Rite and when you are done you become a 32nd Degree Mason - or the York Rite where. when done. you become,e a Knight Templar. A 32nd Degree Mason is equal to a Knight Templar - just a different branch of Masonry. It used to be that you had to be either a 32nd Degree <ason or a Knight Templar before you could join the Shrine and become,e a Shriner. In most jurisdictions now. all you need to be is a Master Mason in order to become,e a Shriner. The Shriners support all of the Shriner's Hospitals which offer free medical care for those children who meet the criteria for having physical disabilities or burned children.

This medal is often incorrectly identified with the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) - organization for Untion Civil War Veterans. Often times referred to as a "Mourning Medal". I have collected GAR as well as Civil War for the psst 55 years and I have yet to have someone show me actual documentation as to this medal actually being associated with the GAR.

The Knights of Malta medals are not high priced collectible items - often times you can run across them for just a couple of bucks. A worth medal to display with a Masonic collection however.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 02-15-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Master

But please don't get the idea they're all inexpensive baubles of little monetary value. Sometimes a piece of gold is just painted pot metal, and sometimes it is just what it appears to be.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER