Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Making a 32-20

Boolit Buddy

Making a 32-20

I have already done a 25-20, now a 32-20, then a 327 Federal.

All barrels will be barrel liners. This one is still being built, so the pictures may be a little slow coming.

I changed barrels and set-up mid stream, after already taking a couple of pictures, but everything will still be basically the same.

Boolit Buddy

Regardless of the order I place them, some of the pictures keep going out of order, and I apologize this.

If I can keep my computer up and running, I'll post more pictures later, otherwise I may have to get the barrel finished, then just show it at that point.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post

Regardless of the order I place them, some of the pictures keep going out of order, and I apologize this.

If I can keep my computer up and running, I'll post more pictures later, otherwise I may have to get the barrel finished, then just show it at that point.
    Great ideas there. How do you attach the barrel into the lug? Silver solder? Weld"

Boolit Buddy
    I used a piece of an H&R barrel that was used as a barrel stub, turned it down to .001 over the bored chamber diameter, cut it to length and epoxied it into the chamber.

The barrel liner insert on one end, and a near identical piece was made for the muzzle end, and epoxied into place. The bore of the shotgun barrel was bead blasted with a heavy grit garnet to give the epoxy more to grip to.

After the two ends were epoxied to inside the shotgun barrel, the barrel liner is blasted with garnet, it will be coated with epoxy and then will be slid between the two "bushings" in the shotgun barrel. And with using a 12 ton aircraft grade 2 part epoxy, it would take more than a sledge hammer to seperate the liner from the bushing, and the bushings from the barrel, so I am NOT worried about it ever moving with a cartridge like the 32-20 or even the 327 Federal.

I bought 100 nickel plated 32-20 cases for $10 and 100 brass Winchester cases for $10 at our last gun show, new! I also picked up 10 pounds of 110 gr. gas checked bullets for $15, so I think I'm gonna make good use of these components. I know nothing about cast Boolits this small, so do any of you guys know what mold style it may have came from?

Banned
    OH, from the picture I couldn't tell that you were using the barrel still attached to the lug. I thought the lug was cut from the barrel. I asked because I have some barrels that I would like to adapt to my H&R frame.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Totally guessing but except for the hollow point, looks much like the 311316 gas check by Lyman. It has a small meplat on the nose as cast. Frank

Banned
    This got me thinking. If three are machinists out there who can make lugs for H&R Handi's you could probably mass produce them and sell them. I know I would buy a few if the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    This got me thinking. If three are machinists out there who can make lugs for H&R Handi's you could probably mass produce them and sell them. I know I would buy a few if the price was right.
    What price is “right” for you? I have no idea, but have wanted lugs also and wondered what a reasonable price is for a lug.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

I have a “stubbed” H&R using a cut off SMLE, barrel attached by a barrel nut out front. Barrel made “like a shotgun shell” it is a great shooter with -23g Jacked and 150g 311440 cast bullets and 427 powder.

Made years ago by a member on GBO It’s affectionally called a Trotter special as he made a number of them for members.

I’m a recent aficionado of the 327 Fed and am considering a rifle. Probably will do a rebore down the line.

Watching this one looks real good I wish I had the machinery to do these things.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    What price is “right” for you? I have no idea, but have wanted lugs also and wondered what a reasonable price is for a lug.
    Like yourself I have no idea. Perhaps unlike yourself I live on a VERY limited fixed budget. So I guess all I can say is the cheaper the better. At risk of offending machinists... I doubt if I would buy one for more than $20 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Like yourself I have no idea. Perhaps unlike yourself I live on a VERY limited fixed budget. So I guess all I can say is the cheaper the better. At risk of offending machinists... I doubt if I would buy one for more than $20 though.
    No, I’m limited fairly severely as well. I ask, as I had a cousin build one off my measurements from a couple barrels I have, and was charged $100 for the lug and forearm lug. I about choked!
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Your little bullet over 9.5 grains 2400 makes a sizzling cartridge good for rifle or heavy frame revolver. Gas check not needed. 94 Marlin gives 2 inches at 100 with aperture sights. Wish it were a little better fro prairie dogs but kills plenty of them as is. Coyote to 150, no sweat.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Here is how mine was done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1907B99A-8032-40D0-A0BB-C836D8094638.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	256608

Name:	6DAC7C94-3F95-4579-9C61-3AEDC76A7420.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	256609

Name:	28FE77F4-855A-4D51-8DDB-AEC9228600CD.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	256610

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    For the "small stuff" I like TJ's barrel liners, but barrel stubs for everything else!

Barrel stubs waiting on a new barrel!