Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Townsend Whelen on the 44-40 and Sharpshooter, "The American Rifle", 1918

Townsend Whelen on the 44-40 and Sharpshooter, "The American Rifle", 1918

I do not have this book but these pages were shared with me. He gives "opinions" about the shooting the 44-40 then adds some information about Sharpshooter powder in general. As many of you already know, I posted information about Winchester's factory loads that used Sharpshooter powder from at least the 1920's until 1941. One Sharpshooter cartridges I have date 1958 and are loaded with Sharpshooter. Claiming the powder was extremely accurate but came at the cost of being being destructive. Desired pressure for Sharpshooter is bteween 26,000 and 31,000 pounds. Designed for cartridges that have little bullet or neck retention. Apparently is doesn't burn good enough to not erode the bore, but good enough to be extremely accurate for smaller bores. The 44-40 fits in there. On the other hand, the 45-70 performs better with much less erosion of the bore. He claims SR 80 would be a replacement powder when Sharpshooter ceases in production.

Attachment 271925 Attachment 271926 Attachment 271927 Attachment 271928
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 11-22-2020 at 03:51 PM.