Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45 caliber paper patched bullets

Banned

45 caliber paper patched bullets

I've been shooting 4570's for several years now with standard cast bullets. I'd really like to try some paper patched bullets but don't want to buy all the stuff I need without trying some first! Anyone here want to sell/trade some. PM me.
    Last edited by smithnframe; 02-11-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Banned

I forgot to mention I shoot BP only out of my 2 Sharps rifles.

So, looking for a .450” wrapped boolit?

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the needed equipment can be made at home. a expander will need to be made fr the new bullet dia. A compression die is handy and can be the same you use for GG bullets.
    To make your template for cutting patches cut a strip of the paper 1" wide. Wrap around the bullet 3 wraps and make a cut mark thru with a razor blade or exacto knife. 1st mark lay out a line 30*-45* skip a cut and do the same at the next notch 1/32" or so short. cut the angles to make the trapezoid parallelogram of the patch. Check the patch by wrapping it around your bullet making sure the ends are 1/32 or a little more apart. This allows for the radius of the paper when the 2nd wrap starts over the first. A piece of aluminum brass steel plastic 1/16" -1/8" thick material big enough to make the patch is needed. rubber cement or glue the patch to this and cut the metal to form shape filing to smooth the edges. In thicker stock beveling the edges to thin them helps. a compression die can be your bullet seater with a flat stem ( fill in a spare wth epoxy and file flat).

The big thing is a sizing die for the smaller dia bullet. Here a bushing die really shines but a 45 acp die or 45 colt die to just size the neck will get you started. avp expander may work also if you can set it high enough.

size your cases if needed and prime. charge and insert first heavy wad, compress powder to depth for bullet to set on. set wrapped bullet into case by hand. you only need a very light neck tension here enough to hold bullet buy also let it spin by hand.

As to bullet bullets in the .441-.444 size are popular depending on paper thickness. With seth cole paper 55 w I use a .443 dia bullet. this fives a bullet that just slides in the bore around .450- .451 dia.

THese bullets are normally only seated to around 3/16" into the case mouth or less. They re meant to slide up into the bore and center themselves. hence the shallow seating depth and light neck tension

Banned

wrapped to bore or overbore?