WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Reloading Question

Boolit Grand Master
    Straight wall cartridges require the 3 die set: full length size, expander die (set enough to also bell the mouth), and a seater die. The bell is required so as not to shave lead as the bullet is set in place. The expander part of that die is to shape the case to the right dimension to accept the bullet. A seater die can, when so adjusted provide a roll crimp, but like others, I prefer the Lee Factory Crimp Die to effect a taper crimp.
    So much of reloading is problem solving. Just figure out what's going on and address it. Questions answered here are a big help.

Boolit Grand Master
    Straight wall cartridges require the 3 die set: full length size, expander die (set enough to also bell the mouth), and a seater die. The bell is required so as not to shave lead as the bullet is set in place. The expander part of that die is to shape the case to the right dimension to accept the bullet. A seater die can, when so adjusted provide a roll crimp, but like others, I prefer the Lee Factory Crimp Die to effect a taper crimp.
    So much of reloading is problem solving. Just figure out what's going on and address it. Questions answered here are a big help.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't want to come across as a turd so forgive me if I do. You really need to slow down and gather some more info before you proceed. You appear to have just enough information to be dangerous thinking your just fine fueled by you dad's reloading notes. If you stick to your dad's info you'll be great but as you have found out just substituting one component for another isn't working. You need to start from the ground up to figure out this reloading deal then start messing with your dad's information once you have enough knowledge to understand whats going on. I have a feeling that your dad's loading notes have given you a false sense of security and I would hate for you to damage the 45 LC he left you.

Spend some time surfing around this site and others like it, watch some YouTube videos and keep asking questions.

Boolit Master
    Lead, you're massively over crimping and that's causing your poor cases to collapse back on themselves!

Back that seat/crimp die up about a turn and a half (1/8" +/-) and try again. (Forget the book OAL, that's a max length for revolvers to revolve, it's not a minimum.)

Adjust your seating depth so the case mouth/front edge is about even with the upper part of the crimping groove and then try crimping again. There's no need to squeeze the case mouth smaller than the depth of the crimp groove, adjust what ever to make your crimped ammo look like it came from Lead 1!

Your bullets were made for your cartridge so you need not worry about decreasing internal volume and dangerously increasing pressure simply by seating a little deeper in a book load. The .45 LCP is a large case, it's not a high pressure cartridge and you shouldn't be using twitchy fast burning powders anyway. So, with book loads, it's virtually impossible for you to dangerously increase peak pressure in a case like that by simply changing the seating depth a little bit.

Boolit Buddy

Ask for someone local to you to help you get started, if possible. It will help you learn much faster, with fewer mistakes and wasted money. Put out a post for help, there has to be someone on this forum that can help you. You can go to them and learn by watching them, or have the come to you. Either way, you can learn more in a shorter time.

That said, you can learn by email, or forum as you are doing, it will just take more time and patience.

I'm sorry you received your handgun the way you did, but hopefully you will enjoy it the rest of your life.
    Dan

Kevin, this makes perfect sense now and answers my questions. Sounds like I have some new loads to work out. Thank you!
    Blessed Are The Peacekeepers, For They Shall Be Called The Children Of God.
    -Matthew 5:9

Boolit Master
    Your problem is die adjustment assuming you are using them in the proper sequence.
    We don't have enough information to tell you if what you are using is a safe load for the gun you are loading for.
    I know how you feel I learned by myself but going slowly and studying the directions for set up and adjustment will keep it safe and fun. Bullets of different designs that are seated to the same overall length that have different shapes can cause different pressures and can be dangerous .
    It is really important to refer to a manual when changing components and find the starting load for the components you are using , powder , primer and bullet or a very close match for safety and work up . I am sure your dads loads are good , but work up your own loads safely.
    The revolver Lee carbide factory crimp dies that I have all roll crimp the auto pistol die sets taper crimp.
    It looks like the crimp in your picture is about a 1/4 inch down from the case mouth that is why it looks like that. They will not seat the bullet deeper it must be at the correct OAL before crimping.
    Do you have the directions for your crimp die ? The carbide factory crimp dies adjust differently than the die in a 3 die set.
    Hang in there we all had to learn in the beginning and it's tough sometimes at the bench by yourself .
    Last edited by onelight; 02-10-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Hello Everyone Again!!!

Let me reiterate! I am someone who does a lot of reading researching and reviewing. I have read the instructions to my die set each time I’ve reloaded. I know the steps by heart at this point. I have been referring to the Lyman reloading manual as well. I have had no issues with duplicating my dads reloads which are consistent with the Lyman book COL 1.660. The issue I ran into was with this new bullet at COL 1.660

I guess I assumed being the same size and weight that the other components could be copied over. I now understand this is wrong.

I didn’t realize that the COL could be less than 1.660 however I guess if I would have paid closer attention to the other bullets (Ones I’m not using which is why I over looked this information) I would have seen they were shorter than COL 1.660.

I went ahead and seated the bullet to the crimping groove as directed which gave me a COL of 1.570 which ironically my Lyman manual list a 250gr. Lead boolit to match that COL.

Once I went to this COL and then used the Lee Factory Crimp die (The same as I have been with dads boolits) it has worked perfect.

I am now reloading a few different (Lower amount) powder charges. Although I could have stuck with dads original grain of 8.0 Unique according to my Lyman reloading manual. I feel it is probably better to start out with different / lower powder charges (Still within the specs of the Lyman manual) and work up in size to see what works best with this new boolit.

Again everyone thank you for the help. I am sure it won’t be my last question but everyone’s input and caution indications are greatly appreciated.

I am only reloading revolver calibers at this point but plan on moving to rifle and other semi-auto calibers down the road.

Again thank you all!

Here is a photo of the issue resolved!

-Bryan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBCC882E-54AC-45FC-B2EA-FC935B86C937.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	256534
    Last edited by Lead-2; 02-10-2020 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Getting use to this system.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead-2 View Post
    Hello Everyone Again!!!

Let me reiterate! I am someone who does a lot of reading researching and reviewing. I have read the instructions to my die set each time I’ve reloaded. I know the steps by heart at this point. I have been referring to the Lyman reloading manual as well. I have had no issues with duplicating my dads reloads which are consistent with the Lyman book COL 1.660. The issue I ran into was with this new bullet at COL 1.660

I guess I assumed being the same size and weight that the other components could be copied over. I now understand this is wrong.

I didn’t realize that the COL could be less than 1.660 however I guess if I would have paid closer attention to the other bullets (Ones I’m not using which is why I over looked this information) I would have seen they were shorter than COL 1.660.

I went ahead and seated the bullet to the crimping groove as directed which gave me a COL of 1.570 which ironically my Lyman manual list a 250gr. Lead boolit to match that COL.

Once I went to this COL and then used the Lee Factory Crimp die (The same as I have been with dads boolits) it has worked perfect.

I am now reloading a few different (Lower amount) powder charges. Although I could have stuck with dads original grain of 8.0 Unique according to my Lyman reloading manual. I feel it is probably better to start out with different / lower powder charges (Still within the specs of the Lyman manual) and work up in size to see what works best with this new boolit.

Again everyone thank you for the help. I am sure it won’t be my last question but everyone’s input and caution indications are greatly appreciated.

I am only reloading revolver calibers at this point but plan on moving to rifle and other semi-auto calibers down the road.

Again thank you all!

Here is a photo of the issue resolved!

-Bryan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBCC882E-54AC-45FC-B2EA-FC935B86C937.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	256534
    You did good , we never know how much or how little someone knows some of this stuff can do bad things so we are probably over cautious .
    No offense or disrespect intended.
    Welcome to the forum.

Lead-2, Sorry for you loss! Glad to see you got you issue worked out. The only thing I have to add is now you are probably hooked, and will eventually be experimenting with reloading more than you ever imagined. Have a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    You did good , we never know how much or how little someone knows some of this stuff can do bad things so we are probably over cautious .
    No offense or disrespect intended.
    Welcome to the forum.
    No offense at all. I understand and I appreciate everyone’s help. He told me you guys were a good group of people to reach out to.
    My dad told me in hospice. “Boy if you start getting into my reloading equipment don’t blow yourself up.” My only regret with reloading at this point is not sitting down and having him teach me.

At the time I was one of those guys who kept it simple and really owned few calibers to keep ammunition buying easy. Now that’s not the case and I’ve found it’s quiet enjoyable and relaxing. Plus I recently went to midnight shift so it gives me something to do when the wife is sleeping and I’m off.

-Bryan

Hey....that round looks good; and nothing wrong with 8 gr. Unique.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Hey....that round looks good; and nothing wrong with 8 gr. Unique.
    Nope! Just loaded some of that today
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Well done and welcome to the forum. Now that you are here don't be a stranger!

I just came across you post as I have been busy working out a few of my own reloading issues with a 200gr 45acp Cast SWC. As you found there are plenty here willing to help.

A real shame that you didn't get to connect with your dad before his passing and learn what he had to offer. I spent the last 10 years of my working life working a 3rd shift schedule, one that required working 6 days every other week. It wasn't until after I quit working that I realized just how much of life with my family that I missed out on. Things I can never recover. Now I have to really evaluate whether the financial gain was truly worth it with what I missed out on.

Boolit Grand Master

Now, quit posting and shoot 'em! There ain't much more satisfying than assembling some handloads and shootin' them (unless you add some of your home cast boolits!)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead-2 View Post
    Kevin, this makes perfect sense now and answers my questions. Sounds like I have some new loads to work out. Thank you!
    From all of us, you're welcome. Have fun shooting, and here's to hoping you won't rule out casting your father's bullet yourself with his mold (I can't think of many better ways to honor his memory).

Boolit Master

GENERALLY, revolver COL is easy: seat to the top of the crimp groove. This assumes that the cylinder is sufficiently long to accommodate COL. THEN, do the appropriate load workup.

As you've found, most all bullets will call for a different COL. COL for auto-loader handguns can be a bit tricker to pin down.

Welcome to the hobby. These guys will have you getting some alloy, a pot and a mold or two before long.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Bryan, you picked a great cartridge to start with, one of my favorites. I’m glad you were able to get answers to help sort out your issue.

Regarding your dad. Last month, he lifted up a prayer request for us to pray for him. I messaged him to receive his number so that I could pray for him and with him. I called and left a message and received no reply. I prayed again and somehow knew he had already been called home.

Your father taught you well that there is a brotherhood of folks who are willing to help. Know also, as he did, reloading assistance is only a part of help available here. Your brother in Christ, Frank
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Lead-2 Has a ring to it. Glad your here!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I don't know how many .45 Colt rounds I have loaded with 8 gr of Unique. That is the original starting load in the Lyman reloading manual I got back in the early 70's.
    Now all of the newer manuals have a load considerably way lower than that. Still load with 8.0 grains.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast