WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are Armadillos Hard to Kill?

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you one and all for the stories and first hand accounts. A Northerner like myself has only seen pictures, and a dead one on the trip I took to help a little old lady move from West Helena, AR to Carson, ND. Biggest town I had ever driven in was Bismarck up to that time. We hit Tulsa and Little Rock at rush hour. The dead armadillo was on the side of the highway. I had to do a double look and ask over the radio what it was! Thanks again all, you guys are all the best!

Boolit Master
    See a couple dead one's on I - 57 where it crosses part of REND LAKE in the North Bound lane , North of Benton, Il.

Boolit Master
    A .308 shooting a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 25 yards turns them inside out, I do know that.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Super Moderator

I have never seen a live Armadillo, but I saw several "Armadillo Pancakes" on the side of the road when I went to San Antonio a couple of years ago. Around here we usually only see "Porcupine Pancakes" which can result in a flat tire if your driving on bologna skins.

I killed one Diller in FL about 40 years ago. I used the front tire of my Kawasaski 850. I don't reccomend this method.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I have never seen a live Armadillo, but I saw several "Armadillo Pancakes" on the side of the road
    In West Texas, you'll see a lot of 'sail rabbits' on the road.
    They're slow jack rabbits that have been run over several times, and dried out in the sun.
    You can peel one up off the road and sail it like a frisbee.

When we talk about our spineless, flip-flopping politicians, we say:
    In Texas, the only thing in the middle of the road around here is--- yellow stripes, and dead armadillos.

Something that used to be popular in the tourist/souvenior shops
    was women's purses made out of an armadillo shell.
    I thought they were rather discusting, but they sold well.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-10-2020 at 11:42 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My dad would run them to their hole, and then reach in and grab them by the tail. They would blow up, making it impossible to pull out, but he would give them a little slack and they would release to go further into the hole. At that point, my dad would pull them out real quick. Once out, suspended by their tail, he would hit them on the head to kill them.

I have eaten many of them, and think are more like a rabbit than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Killing one with a haycutter is disturbing but way better than hitting a skunk....the same applies for hitting one on the highway!

I had one spook, and run up under a 8' bush hog.
    I thought I'd run over a bowling ball until I looked back behind it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Having read thru other’s posts; I realized my experiences with the ‘dillo have been somewhat different from what has been related, in that the purchase of a M 70 chambered for the .375 H & H was the direct result of an early encounter with an east Texas subspecies which reside in Fannin county almost exclusively. Should one of these admittedly rare and elusive boar ‘dillos be walked up on and surprised; the hunter had best be armed with at least a .416 Rigby with solids, and remember to aim for the tip of the nose if he is looking directly at you (easiest path to the brain). Shots to the shoulder with the .375 and the old Hornady steel jacketed solids resulted in bent bullets and angered boar ‘dillos which are quite dangerous, much in the same manner as the killer rabbit which King Arthur’s men were forced to dispatch with the Turkish grenade.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

. . . much in the same manner as the killer rabbit which King Arthur’s men were forced to dispatch with the Turkish grenade.[/QUOTE]

That would be the 'Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch' Just remember, the number of the counting shall be 3! Of course, as referenced in the book of Armaments.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banned

I used to deer hunt on Fort Sill and they are everywhere. An armadillo can make more noise than 100 deer. Never felt a need to kill one, but considered it a few times as annoying as the noise was while on a tree stand.

They are real easy to get close to. You can usually walk right up to one and touch it with your boot toe.

I live north of I-70 in Kansas now and we did find one killed in the road here a couple of years ago, but generally I'd say we don't have them here yet. My Dad grew up in Denton, Texas in the '40s and said they didn't even have them that far north and east until that big drought in the 30s, that's when everybody said they started showing up. They're all the way to the east coast now.

I have heard their body temperature is very close to human's and that they can carry leprosy and other things transmittable to people, so be careful.

Boolit Buddy
    I've only seen them alive in Florida, seen dead on road here in the North Carolina mountains. Friend who lived in Florida and worked at a plant nursery said they sweep the misery once a month with 22 rifles to keep them in check and minimize damage.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Buddy

Was working on my shooting range using my tractor with front end loader last summer and got off to move some debris out of the way and caught movement out of the corner of my eye, went over to investigate and it was a half grown one, trying to dig a hole in the edge of a soybean field. No gun so had to improvise with a cedar stick about two ft long. Took a few hits before it expired but got the job done. They can do a lot of damage with the holes they dig.

I heard you can use a foothold trap to get them and is easy to trap. I do not know on that because I never trap one.I think I was told a 1 1/2 coil spring would work.I am not sure on it . Just from what I was told some years ago. I did see some back in 95 when I went through the states of AR, TX on the side of the road alive beside dead on the side and in the road.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

'Dillos are known carriers of leprosy. If you catch one, hold it by the tail at arm's length until his bladder is empty. Stinky!

They used to be ubiquitous in central Texas, but I don't see many any more. Glad to hear they may have just moved to new range.

I made a lucky shot on this one with my Single Six at 30 yards last year. Head shots work but it still flopped around for a minute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I have killed numerous with the .22
    A couple with 12 ga. No 4's and one with the 9mm
    The shotgun works great, but sounds like a cannon in the middle of the night.............
    Good Luck !!!

I've had them run off after being hit with a 230gr. 45 hard ball, found them 2days late. Th fastest kill I had was a 54 cal RB over 100gr. of 3ffg
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

Can someone please post a shot placement picture for an armadillo?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast